Author Topic: 12/2 oil pressure...........gauge..........question  (Read 3002 times)

rzrbax

• View Profile
12/2 oil pressure...........gauge..........question
« on: March 19, 2007, 02:47:54 AM »
I have a GMC 12/2 and have added an oil pressure gauge to the cam driven piston oil pump.  When I start the engine the oil pressure quickly begins to "bump" the gauge to about 10 psi.  As the engine warms the oil pressure continues to bump, but the pressure drops to almost nothing.  Is this a major problem, or is it due to the heating of the oil?  Has anyone found a real solution to this type of auxilary lubrication?  The "oil gauge" is a threaded water pressure gauge that I picked up at Home Depot..............TIA ..............Bill

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
Re: 12/2 oil pressure...........gauge..........question
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 04:00:34 AM »
Totally normal. The oil goes into a manifold and squirter pipes. There is no restriction on the oil flow such as you might find on a normal engine.

Chris
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

peterako

• grazy dutch in Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 08:39:43 PM »
oke you are using a water meter to check your oil ;)

Yes it works a giant of :o

Meanly your are missing a liquid demping in the meter.

The pulsing is clear working from the pump ( thats good ) at temp. fast lowering is a sign that the oil is fast leaking to any ponit as by design required ( thats good ) ;D

If you do not see the pulsing you are not pumping or low flow.  :o

if your oil is from the wrong grade or your engine is overheating you will see the puls very narrow ( thats bad )

i hoop that i help

p.s. by any rebuild or update put a double cam on the shaft. that means double oil flow. ;) ::)

Greetings from Greece
lovson 6/1 DI backup for my new house using solar heating and power plus a 1000W wind generator.

wirenutrob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 03:53:47 AM »
Bill -

I have a 20/2 and I have installed an oil gage on my engine too. but it is a liquid filled gauge.  It should last a long time and give me a more accurate measurement. The other thing is watch this video clip... http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8918224300229190817&pr=goog-sl  Your oil pressure should settle in at about 4psi pulseing to 5 psi when it is warmed up. The gauge I bought is from Omega.com Model # PGF-258-30. I did a google search and looked at alot of gauges from alot of companies and for my money I thought this was the best buy for my dollar.
Rob

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 10:17:41 PM »
Peter,
Any idea where to buy or how to make a double cam?  Thanks,
Zeke
Changfa type 25hp with 15kw ST head
Lovson 20-2 in blueprinting/rebuild
International TD-15 B  1962 dozer
Changfa 8 hp., 280 A battery charger