Author Topic: Global Warming, an interestng alternate view  (Read 13381 times)

SCOTT

• View Profile
Global Warming, an interestng alternate view
« on: March 17, 2007, 05:56:30 PM »
This is an interesting video that acts as a counterbalance to the popular belief that we humans are causing global warming.   

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-4520665474899458831&q=global+warming+swindle

Scott
net metering with a 6/1 in Connecticut
12/1
6/1

Stan

Re: Global Warming, an interestng alternate view
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 11:13:43 PM »
It's interesting that all of these "studies" done by the quoted scientists are single case studies.  The latest word from the "thousands" of scientists are macro studies, taking many studies and combining the results.

We have a group here in BC called the "Fraser Institute" which has a few paid scientists and statistitians working for it.  It's purpose is to destroy any publicly funded institution, including education and health and replace it with private "for profit" institutions headed by the people who fund the Fraser Institute. (a conflict of interest if anyone ever heard of one).  These guys can gather data to prove that motherhood is a bad thing!  It's become something of a standing joke to say "must be from the Fraser Institute" when we hear anything that is counter intuitive like this video.  I wonder who might gain financially from a video designed to change people's opinions on climate change.  Can anyone spell exxon?

Stan

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 12:42:44 AM »
Stan:

point well taken!  but.... (yes there is always a but!)

we were told by many of the same scientists that support global warming back in the 70's we were going back into an iceage
and it was because of man's effect on the ecosystem.

just because the popular belief seems to have massive support, you cannot say with any certainty that it has any more or less credibility
than your frazer institute, because

there is money, huge money at stake on both sides of the issue

same as with the stock market,, billions are made when the market goes up,, we all know that,, but there are also billions that are made
when the markets recede or collapse.

just because the frazer institute is a for profit, does not make them necessarily wrong,, because even the nonprofit groups have a money trail
and an agenda as well.

quite frankly personally i do not believe the common man will ever know for absolute certainty whether or not there is global cooling or warming
in the near term,,, there is basically too much money, power, and other motives at play and those that are at the top of the food chain are only
going to tell us what advances their cause,, period.

the bottom line is,,, who knows? and what really can you do about it one way or another?
nothing, nada, zip!

or for the sake of an arguement,,

cut all fossil fuel useage say 10%,,, (isn't going to happen on a world scale), and then wait a hundred years to see the results.
then the scientists will argue the meaning of the results for another hundred years.

meantime we can have another huge volcanic eruption that puts us in a two or three year winter, such as what happened in the early 1800's
and then everyone includeing the scientists will run in that direction.

the problem is so complex, with so many variables and insufficient data, there is no way on god's green earth that anyone is going to be
able to prove global anything.

have you heard that the oceans have been warming over each of the last 20 or 25 years, save for the last two?
the last 2 years they cooled,, and the same scientists that go ape over global warming are at a loss to explain why.

i dunno ,, maybe i need to go hug a tree :)

bob g

otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 01:50:07 AM »
Bob if you decide to hug a tree make sure its a hard wood....

Red pines are the worst to hug, all that sticky sap.....

Doug

To quote the great American philosipher Alfred E Newman. "Yes me worry" ( from a late 70's spoof of three mile Island ). Trouble is in the mail, be it global warming, peak oil, the polpulation bomb or aliens you just know with 6 billion people project to reach 9 in my life time something is going to give.....

Whats the figuer 20% of the worlds population consumes 90% of the worlds resources?
Uganda had what 7 million people when I was born and is project to have 300 milliion in my lifetime?
Its far cheaper to produce 10 million AK's than that many power hungery modern apliances and cars there for I fear African stability.
Riots in the streets in India as the police shoot to kill farmers protesting the expropriation of their land to build factories for western consumer goods.
Water unfit to drink in a Chinese city, but pleanty of the bottled kind around for thise with the money.

Trouble is in the mail, and I see the mail man coming.......
Global warming is just another theoretical trigger

Doug
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Stan

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 01:58:57 AM »
Besides, no one can argue that it's healthier for each individual, and for mankind as a whole to walk to the corner store to buy a quart of milk than to take the Lincoln Navigator.  ???
Stan

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 02:20:31 AM »
Its too late for that I think. Too mant people belive its a right to consume and forget that for ever drop you waste somebody is freezing or starving.

Call it Marx's revenge or Gia BS no matter the poor and starving will have there revenge directly when they cut us off our disproportional ration of disposable stuff or we eventualy hang ourselves with our own ropes victims of our own greed and selfishness wallowing in piles of rubbish from a consumer society that can longer feed itself and function by anything less than continual growth for its own sake when nature imposes its own limmits.

Doug, aka Medicraties, "the periferal visionary" and hijacker of other clever quotes and thoughts

“Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know.”

rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 02:29:41 AM »
even the liar whores that promote this bs claim it will raise the world temperature 1 degree over the next 100 years... i say hell.. it would be nice to raise it more... the green house effect is good. it will promote addition plant life, feed many more people, make the frozen tundra a vegetive paradise...

these lying whore say we are using up all the hydrocarbons and soon we will have a water shortage... HELLLLLOOOO every 3rd grader knows the warmer the temperature the more fresh water is created by the evaporation of the 70 percent of the planet that is water!!!!!

they are only promoting their lies so they can enslave us.

the hydrocarbons when they are burnt get recycled.. they dont disappear.. we will NEVER run out as they arent destroyed. same goes for fresh water.. it replenishes everytime it rains.

the only shortage there is on this planet is common sense.

the only threat to this planet are these oligarchy theives and liars that are seeking to enslave us

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 03:12:43 AM »
first of all

Rocket:

Amen!

Stan:

another good point,, park the navigator and take a walk, it is healthier for sure.

Doug:

a whole disseratation could be written in re to the masses of the world rising up, or the few sliding down.

bob g

otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 03:21:16 AM »
I consume therefore I am.

And I ramble ....

Long winded posts about a crusher, a pigmy, a ballet and book of short storries.
Net result I found a copy of the book, Phil got a MP3 of the soundtrac to the Ballet and I was reminded how nothing is ever chipped in stone and even the stone moves in my world and I would be very arogant and ignorant to think nothing will change in our ecconomic system and the orgy of mass consumption.

Doug
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 03:35:17 AM by Doug »

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 01:18:28 PM »
Rocket
  Unfortunately, it's not that simple. While balmier temperatures may sound nice about now, things are far more interconnected. An anallagy might be to loosen a rod cap nut just one turn and see what happens down the road. Things change.

The gulf stream is basically a huge thermosyphen loop. If the ice/fresh(er) water isn't there to feed it, it stops. Northern Europe gets cold.

Extinction of some species - expanded ranges of others - like the ones that fly around your head and bug you.

Coral reefs dying, costal areas flooded, improved conditions for hurricanes, etc,etc.

Man made or natural, it doesn't really matter. It's coming either way IMHO. I just can't see the world coming to a concensus to act until it's too late.

Regarding the recycling of hydrocarbons, can I run my truck on recycled Lister exhaust? ;D

Bill
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 07:11:03 PM »
For those who don't read the gasification Archive I simply had to repost Peter Singfield's comments on this subject....

The house we all sit in having a meeting catches fire -- we start arguing
what caused the fire.

Since we can't logically pin down the cause -- we vote and come to
agreement the house is -- logically -- not on fire.

We all end up burning in the fire -- and die.

I guess this is what modern "science" had become.

The old definition of science (late 1800's) was:

Science is the art of observation!

The old fellow words things well doesn't he?
I wish he would post here woth some of his Listeroid wisdom as well.

Doug

Stan

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 10:18:03 PM »
What about arguing the existential reality of fire not existing at all?
Stan

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 11:02:39 PM »
Does seem to matter global warming or lack there of leads you down the road to peak oil or lack there of....

Personaly I'm so upset and depressed about the situation sometimes I have a hard time looking at my littel boy with the twinkle in his eye and wonder in his heart.

I wish we could sift the fecal matter from the reality of what's coming so I don't have to worry about my boys future.

He just ran over with a soccer ball asking " you happy daddy, I score "

Let me add a thought, I just want to know how to plan for his future RESPs? or how to plant wheet and laod shot gun shells....
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 11:04:30 PM by Doug »

dieselman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 04:24:09 PM »
Approximately 10% of the earths total surface is populated.

It's hard to believe that anything we do, short of a massive nuclear exchange, would change anything.

There are just too many factors in the equation.

Jim
1995 F350 7.3L Diesel
8.3 ISC Cummins
14/1 Lovson (in progress)

Stan

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 04:47:25 PM »
Sounds like my byline is appropriate for this thread  "Mother nature bats last".

Doug.....I've been spending a lot of time with my new grandson and the same sort of thoughts are running through my head.  Maybe because I've been in the education game from elementary to college level for the last 30 years, I believe that the best way anyone can prepare for the unforseen (or perhaps partly forseen) is to arm yourself, not with physical weapons but mental ones.

The man with the knowledge to create his own safety will survive far longer than the man who has depended upon others for his safety his whole life.  Your brain is capable of an infinite amount of learning (as far as we can tell).  As a matter of fact the more you exercise it, the faster and more capable it becomes.  You can learn how to plant wheat and load shotgun shells and a whole lot more and have fun doing it too.  Just be prepared to accept the term "eccentric" when your friends learn what you are doing.  I am finding the older and balder I get the easier it is to accept that description. 
Stan