Author Topic: Metro lister  (Read 16886 times)

rpg52

• View Profile
Re: Metro lister
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 10:22:27 PM »
Brian,

Regarding ". . . oil holes drilled in the tappet guides", I don't remember seeing any holes in my tappet guides.  I don't want to take it apart to check on it now.  Where are they located on yours?  My impression is that the tappets get hosed with plenty of oil when it is running, I'm not sure about the holes though.  They don't seem like a high-friction area, but that's just my impression.
Ray
PS Listeroid 6/1, 5 kW ST, Detroit Diesel 3-71, Belsaw sawmill, 12 kW ST head, '71 GMC 3/4 T, '79 GMC 1T, '59 IH T-340

lip5er4

• Newfoundland(the great frontier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 11:20:28 PM »
The tappet guides have a hole drilled in them,I guess it lubricates the lifters from splash oil. I was just wondering what the position they should be.No one has given me an answer. but I guess as long as the oil is slogging around in the sump its OK. Just wondering? Brian ;)
Moving to newfie.....

rp48

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007, 04:05:00 PM »
The holes on my Metro 6/1 tappet guides face towards the crank.

wirenutrob

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2007, 02:56:29 AM »
Good evening all,

I think the reason there is little response to this question is I don't think it matters which direction these holes go. When I had my 20/2 down I ask my machinest about them and even he did not see any pernent function for these holes. I did however install them in the direction I took them out which was faceing the crank ;)
Rob

hsvham

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2007, 01:17:56 PM »
The tappet guides in my Metro 6/1 were installed with the holes toward the crankcase sidewall AWAY from the crank!  However, I noticed the tappets were plenty well-oiled as I removed them, so I don't think they had suffered from under-lubrication during the infamous Indian test-run(s) at the "factory".

hsvham

wirenutrob

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2007, 08:10:56 AM »
I just fired my engine up today! ;D

Aside from some of the problems,  The lifters turn real well - darn near 1/4 turn each time. Again, I think those holes are a non issue.
Rob

lip5er4

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2007, 04:24:45 AM »
Has anybody used Lucas oil in thier lister? I was thinking to use the oil stabilizer in my 6hp.Since it's a splash system, it might be good. The Listers remind me of a lawn mower engine. No filter.Splash Lub. Change oil often.  just wondering? Brian ;)
Moving to newfie.....

wirenutrob

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2007, 02:29:45 AM »
Got the engine running and the tappets turn nicely exaust one direction intake the oppsite direction.it is so nice to hear the engine running  ;D.
Rob

horsefly76

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 05:45:49 AM »

Just bought a metro 6/1 myself a few months ago.

Lifters rotate well.  Had the black goo coming from the exhaust also. Nothing to worry about just load it up and let it break in. Will take a few hours.

Welcome to the club!  ;D
2007 Metro 6/1 Running on Biodiesel (Thank's Sam!)
4 Hp Air Cooled Yanmar Clone
6.5 Hp Kubota EB-300 D
2007 kawasaki KLX 250 Dual Sport
2003 Jetta TDI 5 Spd.
1971 Lister SR1
2 Lister Petter LPA3

lip5er4

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2007, 12:00:27 AM »
I bought another lister 6/1 in June 07 this year. Im totally obsessed. Im sending this one to Newfoundland too. what I want to get for this one is a water pump.In the indian web sites they advertise cast iron water pumps.if i could find an american one Ill get one.My wife went there this summer,hired a man with an excavator to dig a 30 foot well for us.we have a remote cabin deep insiide newfoundland.With all the the claims of global warming,this is the place place to live .newfoundland is still very pure.The weather is not the best,but ill put up with it.We put a 3 foot of crushed stone around it.I figure about 600 to 800 gallons of pure ground water.I lived in Detroit all my life,since i go to Newfoundland, this  is a place of pionneering,(this is better than UP Michigan)                           Brian     Detriit.         
Moving to newfie.....

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2007, 12:38:30 AM »
Brian,

Pat (at) altopro (dot) com ,has great pricing on cast iron water pumps suitable for use with Listeroids. He is located along the route you probably drive to get to Newfieland just east of Montreal, Quebec. Drop my name and he`ll give you a deal.  I bought a Chinese diesel from him and am very happy with it.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Stan

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2007, 01:27:03 AM »
Yah, but first you have to survive the drive THROUGH Montreal, not an easy thing to do at any time!!!!!  BTDT  :'(

Some day when I'm really bored I'll tell the tale of driving a 74 VW van "over the top of Montreal" in rush hour.
Stan

lip5er4

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2007, 10:53:02 PM »
new topic, these bronze idler bolts, is this a nessassary item, we buy lister clones, then all of a sudden, the idlr bolts are not manufactured right. So , as newbees to the lister world . what is everybody saying/ we buy a lister from India then everybody says, buy a bronze gear,and or offset bolt. hotater says its agood thing.(great industrialist) as Amercians and Canadians, what is the right advice, I always thought we Americans and canadians were the best inthe world. You know Im from detroit, I think all lour western technology is totally is being sold to 3rd world countrys, come on amercan and canaian Tech.  what's happening brian, Detroit
Moving to newfie.....

lip5er4

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2007, 12:05:09 AM »
As afollow up, why are we so insecure to these engiines, thses engines were produced long ago, in America and in Canada. Liister was made inEngland, Nerwfoundland seen lots of them  why as Americans and Canadians are we looking so insecure,Guys, this is not new technology? these engines are agreat resourse whrn we have to go into go to the country, When geogre bush says,iran has a nuke. My dad used to say,let them send one.we'll send one too Brian.
Moving to newfie.....

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2007, 01:05:24 AM »
i am not sure what your point is re being insecure

but you will do very well to listen to what hotater has stated (among many others)

when they tell you to use the bronze gear and the offset bolt they are giving you good advice

you should realize that just because the listeroid was first made as a lister in england, that is where the similarity ends!

at 20 ft they may very well look exactly alike, but engine's are built to much higher spec's than what you can determine at 20 ft
the devil is truely in the details
and those details are measured in thouands of an inch!

now a thou or two really is not of much issue in most places in these engines, but ten's of thousands can be a real problem
and the indian fellow that drilled the hole in the block to place the idler bolt may very well have placed this hole by "eyeball"
it would appear this is the case in some engine's
the problem arrises when you can't know for sure unless you check
and that has to be done in the correct manner.

i have been at this for longer than i want to admit to
and there is no way on earth i would feel comfortable with a listeroid as is straight out of the crate unless it was for a
doorstop or boat anchor.

if i were to use it for anything like my only source of power, you damn better bet i would follow the direction of folks like Hotater

and i would advise you to do just that as well.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info