Author Topic: The Ouch Factor  (Read 10958 times)

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
The Ouch Factor
« on: March 14, 2007, 03:23:07 AM »
Our dear old friend GF has left us and we haven't heard much talk since about safety.

I found this and I think the fellow with his covies wrapped around a flat belt pully speaks volumes to us...

Doug

http://royalcrossfarm.com/Failure.html

And maybe propane isn't such a good idea in AC systems.....
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Guy_Incognito

• Just a guy, incognito.
    • View Profile
Re: The Ouch Factor
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 04:01:01 AM »
That last photo with the guy standing next to the machine needs a caption like, "Note to self: Keep pants away from moving parts."
Guarding ruins that 'classic' open-flywheel look.... but it sure is easier on your clothes!

And maybe propane isn't such a good idea in AC systems.....

I don't know what the hell kind of goop they were running in that system where they're digging crud out of a compressor sump with a screwdriver. I've had cases where two different kinds of oils react in an A/C system to create something that looks pretty much like tar going past in the sight glass. And of course, the number one rule with hydrocarbon refrigerants is, "Make sure there's no air in there". Having said that, R134A and air forms a flammable mix if the system pressure is more than a few bar too....

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 04:07:39 AM »
"Note to self: Keep pants away from moving parts."

I once read a Injury/incedent/accident report from our refinery in Wales...

"Whilst I was walking down to the canteen I passed a fire extinguisher with a clasp jutting out into the hall.  I kept walking my trousers did not"

I often thought about him and even tried to send him an email. That guy was alway cutting a finger or getting something in his eye. I wonder when he will realy get hurt?

Doug
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 04:51:59 AM »
reason alone to put the ring gear for the starter on the inside of the flywheel not the outside.  the guy was lucky his pants ripped as easily as they did, if they had been made of sturdier stuff he could well have broken a leg or so or had parts of him non-surgically removed.

DaveW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 02:10:12 PM »
  A few years back a welder at the metal shop was helping at the automatic Victor lathe carrying stock over to be turned.  He was wearing a heavy welder shirt with the shirt tail out.  He refused to wear the full leather apron because it was "too hot".  As he was leaming forward to place the stock in the front rack his foot slipped on the oil splashed on the floor.  The shirt tail caught in the feed gear, he was pulled into the running lathe, lost 6 teeth, broke his nose, lost about 1/4 of his scalp, broke four fingers on one hand, broke the other arm in three places, and looked like he had been flayed on his back and shoulders from the shirt being ripped from his body.  The whole process took about 1/2 second.  The rest of the story?  Our insurance refused to pay because he did not wear the apron, it was on the hook beside him the whole time.  Lost about a year of work.
   Using body parts as a brake on running machinery is not a good plan.  Did not even slow the lathe down.  The best of safety plans will not work if you won't follow the rules.

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 11:19:21 PM »
Thats why I like solid flywheels.  All that space between spokes worries me.  I keep imagining a rake or a broom falling over into them and becoming a harpoon.
MLG Gib Key Pullers

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 01:55:47 AM »
Starter flywheel,
I think I'll put my flywheel/ring gear inside the big flywheel.  Wonder about some kind of cover for the flywheels to cover up the holes.  Would heavy canvas work, or sheet metal bolted to the flywheel  I've come this far with all by body parts mostly still working,  sure would hate to start losing them now.
Zeke
p.s. Doug,  really good to have you back.  You're one of the good guys!
Changfa type 25hp with 15kw ST head
Lovson 20-2 in blueprinting/rebuild
International TD-15 B  1962 dozer
Changfa 8 hp., 280 A battery charger

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 02:19:06 AM »
You can make safety covers out of sheet metal.  Much like a chain gaurd on a bicycle.  Only, cover the whole flywheel. Mount them to the frame.  Doesn't have to be round.  The flywheel turns freely inside the cover.  This is standard procedure (OSHA)  on any mechanical belted/pulley arrangement.
MLG Gib Key Pullers

DaveW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 03:00:36 AM »
  I've seen it done both ways. Some people like the "look" of old machinery, and use a solid wheel cover over the spokes, I prefer an enclosed housing over the whole wheel.  But if done that way it should be strong enough that brushing by it won't push it into the wheel.  Once covered, people tend to see it as safer and crowd closer than otherwise.  Also, some people just shouldn't be around running machinery.  Those are the ones to watch for.

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 03:23:16 AM »
The flywheel cover made from sheet metal sounds like the way to go.  I'm so far out in the woods I dont have to worry about people getting too close, but I may launch the occasional armadillo or western diamondback into low earth orbit.
Zeke

jtodd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 05:16:55 AM »
Better yet, just build a frame around the whole thing, lock stock and barrel, and then make secure sheetmetal "doors" whose locks are opened only the keys in your pocket.   That's what I'm doing - there will be a few "windows" made of expanded metal mesh for quickly peeking inside (and there will be lights inside, too) and maybe one of the doors will be made out of expanded metal mesh also, to allow better viewing. Plus, it keeps the whole system warm(er) for better fuel flow and operation.  I have plenty of radiators external to the enclosure area if I need to get rid of some BTU's.

These engines are from a different time, when people were familiar with things that killed them and when their lives were possibly worth less than they are now.   ("Amputated hand?  Tough.  You shouldn't have  touched that." was the attitude in the 20's, which is certainly not the motto of today.)  Therefore, we have to take extra-ordinary precautions to keep our 1500 pound spinning, burning, and dangerous time capsules sealed against the outside world.  Otherwise, the combination of novelty, foolishness, and poor behavior will combine into a life-crushing lawsuit despite where fault may lie.

JT

ZackaryMac

• Nova Scotia, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 01:55:19 AM »
If you want to keep the look of the open flywheel, and still have them spinning safely in plain view, how about a plexiglass cover over them? A solid cover shielding the entire side, flywheel and belt/pulleys. This way you can still enjoy all the mechanical movements, and retain full use of all your OWN mechanical movements.
 Not the cheapest solution by any means, however if pure economy were the quest, a Chinese clone genset would be "inexpensive". ;D
Kubota EL300A-R 4hp 12v Generator
Kubota B6100 HST Compact Tractor
Onan RDJA 8hp
1994 Chev S10 w/Isuzu C223
All are diesel.

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 03:00:06 AM »
flywheel covers.
Mabe a welded steel frame with heavy chain link fencing welded/bolted to it. 
could still see what was happening, but couldnt donate your pants or limbs to the green monster.
Zeke

villageidjit

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 03:26:21 AM »
I'm sitting in a motel room (working out of town) with two feet just dying to get into my mouth!

In my opinion, you need to prevent any possibility of injury to yourself and to others, OR you need to create the knowledge that some things can be extremely dangerous if you do not keep your hands (and other parts) out of harms way.

I do NOT subscribe to the concept that an OSHA approved horse includes an emissions control system, seat belts, roll cage, 360 degree bumpers, or any other "safety devices".

My own and perhaps dangerous devices (including my 1911 Colt Government model) are my responsibility and if anyone gets hurt by one of my devices - I will be totally responsable.  Even if the injured party violated my rights while becoming injured.

Vic
Somewhere in the Ozark Mountains, the Village Idiot is missing!

Stan

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 05:07:07 AM »
While we are on the subject of safety, Penelope has a formed sheet metal cover that fits on the crankshaft, and friction fits over the flywheel hub.  This covers up the sharp bits that can catch clothes/hair (if one had any) while they spin.  She only has one of them!  I need another one!  Can anyone inform me as to where it might be purchased?  Do the Indian clones have them?
Stan