Author Topic: cream seperator  (Read 9687 times)

beecharmer0007

• View Profile
cream seperator
« on: March 14, 2007, 02:26:27 AM »
HELLO , my  name is harry and the centrifuge idea sounds great,,   but i had a brain storm, has anybody ever used a cream seperator, on wvo,,  i used them of  milk and it works great,  i was wondering if it would get out  heaver stuff glycerine etc,,it seems  like it would give you a even product out,,,  i.m brand new at this  and just learning,,, and want to get into this so bad i can taste it,  i have a tractor,a truck and a jeep  that are a diesel, thanks harry

i may have  put this in the wrong place befor, sorry

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: cream seperator
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 02:34:18 AM »
"i.m brand new at this  and just learning,,, and want to get into this so bad i can taste it,  i "

Slow down, read and research. You will find these engines are borderline at best and many fit only to be recycled.

So many people get caught up in the hype of the 100,000 hour lister the forget most roids don't run more than a few hundreed hours with out a brake down. One has been well documented and pushed into the 7 thousand of hour range but the number of parts changed and machining done to get there extracts a high price in time and money.

Meet Gus my Indian Petteroid.
http://www.putfile.com/dougwp/images/31565
Its never run and has been in pieces all winter as I try and "make it right".
This is about average to better than averrage depending on how you look at tit as a whole or individual parts.

Doug
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

beecharmer0007

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 02:42:20 AM »
thanks doug,  will do a lot of reading,, harry

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 09:31:30 AM »
And on the other hand Harry, lots of us run these things with very few problems. You'll never mistake it for a first world product but if you keep a sense of humor, they're fun. Like I tell my lady friends, "If you keep your expectations low, you won't be disappointed."
   Curious about your cream separator idea (I'm always looking to misuse something).  Are they a centrifuge? I've never seen one. Prepping the WVO is the most time consuming part of my biodiesel process - would love to find a cheap way to speed it up.
                                                                    Bill
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw

jimmer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 01:42:50 PM »

Slow down, read and research. You will find these engines are borderline at best and many fit only to be recycled.

So many people get caught up in the hype of the 100,000 hour lister the forget most roids don't run more than a few hundreed hours with out a brake down. One has been well documented and pushed into the 7 thousand of hour range but the number of parts changed and machining done to get there extracts a high price in time and money.

Wow Doug, borderline at best and only capable of a few hundred hours without a breakdown! That is quite a statement. Maybe if you actually owned a Listeroid you might be more qualified to speak about them.

jim

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 06:18:59 PM »
It not hard to tell from the posts here nearly everyone has had to strip there engines and clean them replace bearings. Many parts wear out far sooner than they should because of machining and material issues.

I have a Petteroid, same fecal matter different pile.

These are hobby engines, just like real antique engines you need to watch them carefuly and be prepared to fix them. As Jack has pointed out there is almost nothing you can't fix even on a realy bad one and make it run several thousand hours, but there is no proof yet of a 100,000 hour Listeriod.

How many hours on yours Jimmer?

Some people have invested a lot of time and trouble trying to get and build better engines. Maybe I should give them credit now, but lots of people are still ending up with junk exoecting an out of crate runner without major issues and thats a fact. It all comes back I guess to who you buy from and what your expecting and I need to give more credit to the people who are getting better engines and kits that you can build yourself. 

Doug
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 06:28:40 PM by Doug »

SCOTT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 06:40:52 PM »
Doug

What caused you to become so jaded?  You say ST heads are junk but you want to buy one?  You obviously have no faith that anything from India can run out of the crate.

You need to understand that when you read about problems with ST heads and Listeroids you are seeing gross evidence of sample bias.  The nature of this forum is that people with questions (read problems) will post a question in the hopes that they will get answers from other members.  Those who have no problems with their engines or ST heads are less likely to post comments, there is no reason.  What would they say?

“Well guys I got my listeroid and my ST head that I bought from X dealer and it works great, nothing more to report”

If you don’t want a cheap gen head of unknown quality from China buy a Marathon, and good luck negotiating price with them.

Scott
net metering with a 6/1 in Connecticut
12/1
6/1

jimmer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 08:16:10 PM »
It

How many hours on yours Jimmer?

Mine provides 220v for some equipment about 3 hours a day.

Meter says 1472 hours, but it's powered by one of those ST heads you dislike, so who knows how much it's off.

I tighten the bolts, change the oil, and decarbon once in a while.

jim

snail

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 02:53:54 AM »
Biobill,
Curious about your cream separator idea (I'm always looking to misuse something).  Are they a centrifuge?
There are lots of these in Oz, funny thing is that one of the major manufactures was a certain Mr R A Lister! Will they work for oil? No idea (never seen one running). Would be a nice touch if you could use one to fuel an original Lister engine though.

Doug,
     I know what you mean about the quality issues, but it's not all as bad as this forum implies.I have to  second what Scott says.I pulled the heads and had a poke around in the sump of mine before startup.Nothing major to report (by forum standards :D ). I'm up to about 600 hrs (over two seasons). It starts, it makes electricity, it runs my aircon, it's an interesting toy. That's all I ask for. This may not be typical, but I suspect it's not totally unique either.
      Maybe it's poll time? How many didn't have the crank out before startup? How many are happy with a timber mounting frame on rubber (I am! :D) How many are happy with a single V belt drive (not mine , but I know someone who is!  :D)
     This is not meant to be offensive in any way, but I suspect there are many "quiet" owners out there who don't follow the consensus, but achieve acceptable results.

cheers,

Brian

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 07:34:50 PM »
I'd prefer a used one to rework

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 12:17:35 AM »
  We use a glorified cream separator to clean the turbine lube oil. The lube oil is heated and sprayed with a mist of water before entering the centrifuge. The dirt clings to the water and clean oil flows out the other spout.