Puppeteer

Author Topic: Locktite  (Read 3826 times)

lip5er4

• Newfoundland(the great frontier)
    • View Profile
Locktite
« on: March 16, 2007, 05:14:02 AM »
I have some locktite I use when I do my brakes,very greasy and silver in color. I wonder if this stuff contains zinc. I was going to mix this stuff with a little bit of motor oil and put it under the valve caps and pushrod cups, since this is an anti-seize compound. any sugjestions. Brian ???
Moving to newfie.....

hotater

• View Profile
Re: Locktite
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 01:40:33 PM »
LocTite brand is known for thread lockers and adhesives.  I've never heard of Locktite anti-sieze but IF that's what it is, it's THE thing to mix as you say and use in the push-rod cups AND under the rocker pads AND between the valve stem and the lash caps.

Use straight anti-sieze then just add a drop or two of oil or STP as needed to keep it juicy.

LocTite  anti-sieze----  Surely they realize how STUPID that sounds.   ::)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 01:45:45 PM by hotater »
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 02:42:18 PM »
Perhaps a little paste of molybdenum disulphide with some oil, that would ingrain itself into the metal surfaces and provide some lasting protection and lubrication?

I bought a small tub of it from a supply house, it doesn't take much of that stuff to cover something.

rjcroc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 03:20:31 PM »

Hotater

Thanks for the good laugh

Rick
"THE GREATEST DANGER FOR MOST OF US IS NOT THAT OUR AIM IS TOO HIGH AND WE MISS IT, BUT THAT IT IS TOO LOW AND WE REACH IT"  MICHELANGELO
6/1 METRO, 6/1 LISTER SOM, 6/1 LISTER, 1 1/2 HP LISTER D, LISTER PUMP,LISTER PETTER LPWS4

lip5er4

• Newfoundland(the great frontier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 03:47:41 PM »
Hey , do a google search for loctite.(I spelled it wrong). They make this anti seize compound. :-[
Moving to newfie.....

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 03:58:26 PM »
 I know they do!  That's what's so funny.   Anti- sieze by  Loc Tite??     Hillarious! ;D

It's like Goodyear nails,  or Jack Daniels aspirin.   ;D

7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 04:38:05 PM »
LocTite  anti-sieze  could be classified as an oxymoron.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

kltrider

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 06:16:48 PM »
Please be aware that MOST anti-seize compounds contain microscopic sized particles of some metalic substance. This is one of the features that makes it anti-seize.
Most, if not all, of these compounds are intended to be used for that purpose ONLY.
When we were working for BMW North America, as a traveling service tech / quality instructor, we had a directive issued by the service department in Munich telling us to stop useing the lube we had been applying to the sliding half shafts in the final drives of the vehicles field serviced by dealers. There is a periodic requirement for "spline re-lubrication," with a spec product. This was very expensive, so a search was mounted for a less pricy alternative. They tested at least 14 different products, including 4 anti-seize lubes from Loctite. These worked well in lab tests but after 3-4 hours in the feild excessive wear started to ruin shafts by "lapping" the splines to the point of failure.
These (loctite) are very good products when used for the purpose intended, but when mis-used can have a very bad result.
I have extensive experience with this sort of thing having worked for Permatex in West Palm Beach, Fl both before and after the combination of the two companies, Permatex and Loctite.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 04:56:24 PM by kltrider »