Puppeteer

Author Topic: Nuts bolts and studs....  (Read 3282 times)

Doug

Nuts bolts and studs....
« on: February 15, 2007, 11:28:20 PM »
I have had some issues with stripped studs and nuts, so i ordered a tap and a die to repair and replace what's messed up.

So I have a small 5/16 BS 22 tpi die and I thought it should be easy to make a stud from a chunk of 5/16 stock. My problem is I wander a wee bit when starting and after about 1/2 " the threads aren't true. This makes for at best a poor stud and in my first attempt a scrap one.

Any advice?

I also tried to make a nut, thats actualy easy just time consuming....

adhall

• View Profile
Re: Nuts bolts and studs....
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 02:28:31 AM »
Doug:

The reason the thread gets crooked is because the die gets out of square with the rod you are trying to thread. You have to figure a way to hold it square with the rod at all times--I have to admit I'm not very good at doing this by hand myself. The better quality die stocks have an adjustable aperture below the die that you close down against OD of the rod. This helps you keep the die square to the rod as you cut the thread.

You might try cutting your thread using a drill press. First take the drive belt off--you will want to turn the spindle by hand. Grip the rod you want to thread in the drill chuck. Position the table so that you can run the rod down through the hole in the middle. Then lay the die stock down flat on the table with it centered over the hole. Put two bolts up through the slots in the table so that each of the die stock handles can rest up against one (this will keep the die stock from turing). Now apply constant doward pressure with the drilll press spindle while turning the spindle pulley.

You should be able to get a straight thread this way.

Best regards,
Andy Hall
JKSon 6/1, 5 kW ST Head, 1992 Dodge RAM Cummins 5.9L Turbodiesel, 2001 VW TDI 1.9L Turbodiesel, 2006 Jeep CRD Turbodiesel, Yanmar FX22D Diesel Tractor

Doug

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 02:41:46 AM »
That is an interesting idea....

I had thought of using a hand drill and a jig to hold the die and a guide for the rod all clamped in a vice. Your way sounds like its worth investigating, less set up time.

I think my single biggest problem is I have taps and dies generaly intended for repair not threading. The small set has served me well over the years but never for anything requiring precision

peterako

• grazy dutch in Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 05:01:29 PM »
Hi there
A repair set is not desiged to realy cut the tread but to clean.
In order to cut new you need a three fase set and using a lot of cutting oil.

During cutting by hand after a full turn reverse a litte bit to help clean the tread.

Greetings from Greece
lovson 6/1 DI backup for my new house using solar heating and power plus a 1000W wind generator.

Doug

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 01:20:16 AM »
Thank you for your advice, I don't think I can make a proper replacement stud with what I have.

Doug