Author Topic: Original hub width and gib key shaft length  (Read 3128 times)

Geno

• View Profile
Original hub width and gib key shaft length
« on: February 25, 2007, 02:26:10 PM »
Does anyone know the width of the hub and the length of the gib key shaft on an original 6/1. The reason I ask is….

My JKson hub is 4” wide, the shaft on my gib key is 3.5” and if you leave 5/8” of the shaft showing (most pullers are made of 1/2” plate) you only get 2 7/8” of the key in the keyway.

Thanks, Geno

snail

• View Profile
Re: Original hub width and gib key shaft length
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 10:12:27 PM »
Geno,
       My genuine hubs are 3.473 and 3.506" wide. Key shaft 3.7". When fitted there was only .550 for the puller,so engagement must have been around 3.150".
     Hope this helps.

cheers,

Brian

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 12:35:24 PM »
Thanks Brian, thats just what I was looking for. The small end of your installed key is only .3-.4" from the inside of the hub while mine is 1 1/8" from the inside.

I wonder if a longer key would make for a better fitting flywheel??

Thanks, Geno

snail

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 10:52:10 PM »
I wonder if a longer key would make for a better fitting flywheel??

Can't see it doing any harm, provided you don't  hit the radius at the end of the keyway.

I suppose my keys are a bit worn by now, so you might want to allow for wear in future.

Cheers,

Brian

Doug

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 11:18:33 PM »
I got a quote of 16 CDN for new gib head keys from a Spanaur dealer. This still required fitting and cutting so I opted to buy a few pieces of rectangular stock and cut one down to shape. It looks to me like all the keys in the Catalog would need to be shortened and filed significantly any way so whats difference?

The nice thing about making one is your fitting as you go so you can make then a little thicker or if you have the time to work with a bigger chunk of steel you can make them a bit wider.

This is of course as Bob pointed out not cost effective if your time is metered but I am now hooked on the idea of trying to do everything by hand or with the simplest machines at my disposal.

Next of course as Bob sugested in an earlier post is Babbit and pouring ones own bearings. I got to try this next. Even if it means I saved 5 dollars off a cheap Indian bearing.

Doug