Author Topic: Camshaft Taper Pin  (Read 3717 times)

Kurt802

• View Profile
Camshaft Taper Pin
« on: February 24, 2007, 03:21:46 PM »
Hello Everyone,
This is my first question about my Metro Listeroid.  My camshaft is shimmed enough so that the idler gear and camshaft gear are off set at least a 1/4 inch :o.  I think they did this to make sure that the tappets rotate no matter what.  The Indians peened over both ends of the taper pin.  I cut both ends off and can't tell what end to drive out.  I thought I knew which end was smaller diameter than the other but it won't budge.  I want to remove the camshaft and then remove the shims.  I had new valve guides installed and the valves hand lapped by the local auto machine shop.  Push rod ends polished, tappet sockets polished, rocker arm strikers ground to strike valve caps square, my friend is a machinest and he made new valve stem caps that fit perfectly, the OEM caps were NG. I am concerned that if I run the engine with the cam shimmed at least 1/4 inch it may damage the gears.  Any help you all may suggest for the taper pin removal would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kurt802

listerdiesel

Re: Camshaft Taper Pin
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 06:53:30 PM »
The taper is relatively fine, and it is not easy to see which end is which. Also, the small end may be too small to get a punch onto.

One way to tell is to clean the surface up with emery or a fine file and then either use a drop of crack detector fluid or dirty paraffin over the hole location. Rubbing a dirty finger over also works for me most times.

Also, make sure these are not parallel Mills Pins with the groove down the length of the pin, these will come out either way.

Peter

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 09:14:30 AM »
Kurt,
What worked for me was to grind both ends of the pin flush, then measure diameters with a caliper.  Once you know which end is smaller give it a few sharp whacks with a punch and it should move.  McMaster will sell you a new taper pin cheap, you will need to order a long one to get the needed diameters.  Good Luck,
Zeke
Changfa type 25hp with 15kw ST head
Lovson 20-2 in blueprinting/rebuild
International TD-15 B  1962 dozer
Changfa 8 hp., 280 A battery charger

MacGyver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 01:15:53 AM »
From the FWIW dept:

The camshaft taper pin is available from McMaster-Carr.

P/N 98390A344 - Plain steel taper pin, #6 x 1-3/4" long.
0.341" Large end diameter, .305" small end.

Packs of 25  $11.58

I just got mine yesterday. They fit great, but 1-3/4" is maybe a little log and 1-1/2" might be better.

ALSO handy item from McMaster:
P/N 3088A433 Steel shim. 0.031" Thickness = 5/8" ID,  1" OD.  Packs of 10 - $4.62

These are nice shims for the rockers, to space them away from the rocker block if necessary. (to center the rocker pads over the valve stems)
They fit over the rocker shaft nicely and are available in many thicknesses. I used 3 of these (.031") shims to move my intake rocker out a bit and improve it's alignment.

Steve

JKson (PS) 6/1 'roid & ST 7.5

tiger

• Retired-Retarded-Work well with adult supervision
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 01:03:35 AM »
On my 12/2 the small end of the pin was opposite the lobe for the fuel pump. rub some gasoline on the shaft wipe off, sprinkle with talc powder it should show up enough to see which is the small end. Then support the shaft solidly with a piece of pipe ground to engage the shaft and pound it out with a punch close as possible to the small end pin diameter.After working up to a 2 LB. hammer, mine came out! Ronmar sugested replaceing with a allen head countersunk bolt and lock nut, which I will do next time.
Good Luck!
Metro 12/2 ST 10 KW

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 05:09:25 PM »
Nothing is easy...if it were...anybody could do it.

2005 Power Solutions  6/1-ST5