Author Topic: 1200 rpm Changfa 195  (Read 15527 times)

draganof

• Keeper of a Mighty Changfa
    • View Profile
Re: 1200 rpm Changfa 195
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2007, 11:22:52 AM »
Race? Why not, first person to produce the most kw at the slowest speed with the least amount of smoke. Of course the race fuel would have to be unheated tar. LOL
Changfa 195 and ST10
8kw Yanmar/Kohler

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2007, 04:05:53 PM »
Hi rcavictim,

Could you let us know how you setup your injector line heater & where we can buy the parts ?

Thanks , Jeff in Colorado

Jeff,

I took about a foot of heavy resistance wire, nichrome or similar alloy, off a ceramic motor starting resistor from an ancient inductrial motor controller.  This wire is about as thick as a heavy coat hanger wire, maybe #12 AWG equivalent.  At about 3 VAC applied and some 40 amperes it gets a dull red, making about 120 watts of heat.   I have put this in a sleeve of ceramic beads and wrapped it about 3 turns around the injector body between the engine head and the side input fuel  port on the injector.  The last couple of inches comes out wrapped around the fuel line port.  The injector had to be removed from the head to wrap the heater around it. In the process of pushing it back into the head betweeen the two mounting studs, many of my ceramic beads got broken as there was juat not enough clearance (beads too large OD).  I patched the thing with some stove cement so as to keep the resistance wire from touching any metal and shorting out.  I run a short length of #10 insulated wire to a step down transformer that was rated at about 5 volts at 50 amps.  The 120 volt primary is operated through a variac from the output of the genset iteslf.  Once started on diesel i can turn up heat to the injector and after about 10 inutes the motor and injector is warm enough to switch to syrup fuel.

With a IR thermometer I have measured the temperature of the injector body to be about 400F when adjusted for good performance on thick fuel oil while the engine head temperature adjacent to the injector is about 220F.

When I made this heater the first time I started with six parallel strands of nichrome salvaged from an electric heater, all straightened out and pulled through the beads.  I had a fuel oil leak that dripped oil on the heater and it caused the nichrome wires to burn open at that spot.  The first heater failed in about 5 hours.  The new heavy one has run without a problem for many hourrs with the leak fixed and  no liquids dripping on it.

I don`t bother heating the IP or HP fuel line which on my JD175 is only about 6- 7 inches long.  They get enough conducted and radiant heat from the engine when it is at operating temperature.  It is however necessary to heat the fuel line from the thick viscosity oil supply to the  injector pump.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 04:09:59 PM by rcavictim »
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

SCOTT

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2007, 04:36:31 PM »
Jeff
Go to Mcmaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/ page 487 and take a look at their “super high temp heat rope” I have used this and it works great. You don’t need a thermal switch like the one in the picture;

http://listerengine.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10064&pos=0

a simple dimmer will allow you to fine tune the wattage and thus heat output.  Wrap the line and the heater in ceramic insulation (also avaliable at Mcmaster) and you are all set

Scott
net metering with a 6/1 in Connecticut
12/1
6/1