Puppeteer

Author Topic: 14-1 Lovson camshaft timing  (Read 2938 times)

dieselman

• View Profile
14-1 Lovson camshaft timing
« on: February 19, 2007, 04:30:39 PM »
Hello: I am new to this forum, but I need some help. I bought a 14-1 Lovson new and decided to tear it completely apart to learn about it and to see what improvements I could make on the design. Before removing the camshaft and crankshaft I did not  notice any timing marks. The generic manual shows where the marks should be, but none are visible. If there any marks on the crankshaft gear, they are not visible because of the roller bearing. When removing the cover for the camshaft the camshaft came partially out and I am not sure I put it back in its original position. There must be a way to do this. I can get close visually, but I could be off  2  to 3 teeth.  Also has anyone tried adding a oil filter or changing the oil delivery system. Any help would greatly appreciated.
Thx, Jim
1995 F350 7.3L Diesel
8.3 ISC Cummins
14/1 Lovson (in progress)

Rod

• View Profile
Re: 14-1 Lovson camshaft timing
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 07:35:23 PM »
Jim, With the engine at TDC set the pump lobe at "10 o'clock"  Now the "pin" for the governor weight is pointing at the lower of the two teeth on the cam gear that will enguage the other (idler) gear. Get George"s CD from the Utterpower website - it has pictures, and tons of info you NEED, I just looked it up for you & quoted HIS info. His web site has plenty for you to read while waiting for the CD. It,s pretty much a "must have"
                           Good Luck    Rod

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 08:45:11 PM »
Did you get a manual with the engine....On a 6/1 the intake valve starts to open at 5deg BTDC...If I remember right. Rotate carefully till you know it is set right...valves will hit piston if incorrect.
Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

dieselman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 07:35:09 PM »
Thankyou All for the input. I ordered the Utterpower CD today. This should answer most of my questions.
Thx again, Jim
1995 F350 7.3L Diesel
8.3 ISC Cummins
14/1 Lovson (in progress)