Author Topic: Oil Level Tube Sight/Low level Sensor  (Read 3970 times)

BruceM

• View Profile
Oil Level Tube Sight/Low level Sensor
« on: January 19, 2006, 01:15:28 AM »
After an educational failure, I had an inspiration:

http://listerengine.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?pos=-97
http://listerengine.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?pos=-98

It doesn't get much easier to build, it works great and is easy to adjust.  The oil level is easy to see. Previous testing with 3/8" tube showed 1/2" lower of oil with engine running, but a steady, clear level visible. (Much easier to read with black oil!)

Too nasty outside to hook it up, so I'll have to show you the hook up on the Lister after the weather improves.  The 1/2" tube will run from a 90 degree 1/4" hose barb at the top left side of the crankcase facing the breather door to a barb on a 3/4" pipe Cross on the crank sump drain (1/2" NPT).  The Cross will also provide a drain and a 3/4" upright filler nipple with cap.

An operational question:  What is an acceptable range of oil levels to be operating at, as measured on the splash dipper? 

Best Wishes,

Bruce McCreary
Metro 6/1
Snowflake, AZ
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 01:21:49 AM by BruceM »

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
Re: Oil Level Tube Sight/Low level Sensor
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 01:28:48 AM »
Quinn suggested a plexi window on the inspection door (temporary) so we can see what goes on in there. I suggest you lower the oil level while checking thru the window, untill you see where oil level becomes too low to get a good spash. Then set the level on the float switch according to your personal pucker factor. :P
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

Procrustes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 02:02:35 AM »
Very nice.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 04:09:10 AM »
Shipchief, I thought of some plexiglass too, but I think there would be no chance of seeing through the oil film on it.

With the sight tube I can mark the "tip of dipper mark" and watch it when running.

For a low level, I'll stop at 1/4" on the dipper when running which is maybe 1/2" stopped. 

What about high oil level?  How much is "Full"?  Maybe one inch on the dipper when running, one and a half stopped?

Bruce

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 05:35:59 AM »
I was thinking that the wash of oil on the plexi door would be less when the oil level is too low for the dipper to get enough.  8) I know that is less perfect than a direct reading, but sometimes thats the way it goes.
As for the con rod dipping into the oil, mark the sight glass and dipstick at the level just below the rod, then don't fill above it. The oil level is always lower while the engine is running.
Scott E
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's