Author Topic: Inverter Generators  (Read 8430 times)

Ironworks

• View Profile
Inverter Generators
« on: February 17, 2007, 02:40:59 PM »
I have been looking at those Honda 3000I inverter Generators.  Anyone have any experience with these?  I'm not sure how these work.  Does it take less horsepower to make more KW's using this technology?  Could we get more Kw's out of our Lister's?  The 3000I is pretty compact.

fattywagonman

• View Profile
Re: Inverter Generators
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 03:19:28 PM »
Hi Ironworks,
The Honda inverter gen uses a HF (300-600Hz) PM alternator / DC rectifier  / capacitor / inverter system... the advantage is the engine runs at a lower RPM when low power is needed. Folks thatI've talked to say they often burn 1/2 of the fuel that a comparable constant speed generator uses...

I"ve been doing something similar with the Petter generator I'm building but mine is a PM alternator / starter / battery / inverter system with auto start / stop.

I really don't know why more folks aren't using an inverter with their Lister  / generator set ups...

IMO running the engine the entire time you need power makes very little sense... Most house loads are just a few hundred watts... Using the battery / inverter set up also allows an easy connection to wind or solar when / if it's available. Also the batteries and inverter absorb spike loads quite nicely so you can down size the engine for better efficiency.

I use the Zantrex 5548 inverter since is has a spike load rating of over 15kW and will carry a constant 5.5kW

As always I recommend using CHP so you can capture most of the free heat energy that is contained in the exhaust and cooling system.

Doug

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 02:42:12 AM »
If I could find an inverter at the right price and a stack of batteries I might consider it.

But I need a standby unit more than an extended  use machine....

Doug

Ironworks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 03:21:22 AM »
Here's a little info I found I thought if anyone wants to check it out.

http://personal.cha.bellsouth.net/j/o/johngd/files/rv/inverter_generator.pdf

1966Crew

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 02:54:07 PM »
The Honda EU3000I is a superior machine, well worth the price. They are super quiet as you can have a regular conversation standing next to one as it runs.

We sell a bunch of them and have only had one come back. Not because of any fault with the unit but it would not run the guys air conditioner!

These inverter generators are fuel efficient because the engine only runs as fast as it needs to based on load. As the load increases the engine rpm increases. I have plugged in small loads and the engine stays at idle.

Another advantage of the Honda EU (1000, 2000, 3000) series of generators is you can parallel two of the same size units to get 80% of the combined power from them. This feature is good for the RV set who may need more power but still enjoy the quiet, efficient benefits that these unit provide.

Sorry if I sound like a commercial for Honda but these are excellent products. The only down side is they will not produce 240 volts if that is what you need.

Jon

Ironworks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 03:05:13 PM »
Whats the fuel consumption?

1966Crew

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 05:28:20 PM »
The fuel consumption is rated as:

"Run Time on One Tankful 7.2 hrs. @ rated load 20 hrs. @ 1/4 load"

The fuel tank capacity is 3.4 gallons.

Jon

Jim Mc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 05:29:10 PM »
I've had a EU1000 for 6 years, and it's a great little set.   It's been totally reliable, easy to start, and as mentioned, is super quiet.  In many cases, I find it easier to use than hauling out a long extension cord!

Well worth their cost.

Holter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 12:09:53 PM »
Does anyone know the DC Voltage of these Generators? I want to use these units in my electric Vehicle to extend its range, but the optimum would be to use the rectified DC currents to charge the batteries directly. I have nowhere found this Information (because perhaps nobody wants to take these things apart), and I do not want to buy one and take it apart only to find, that it is unusable.
(btw: is the generator different for 110V oder 220V Units?)

fattywagonman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 03:58:00 PM »
Hi Holter,
I believe the DC voltage is about 165... inverted this makes about 120 volt... I have made a small DC gen using a mini petteroid and a PM alternator from Hydrogen appliances... here's a pic...

Hydrogen appliances sells all different voltage PMG's ... you could buy a changfa or something similar and belt or direct drive a PMG to make DC for your batteries..

aqmxv

• Duty Now for the Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 08:42:28 PM »
I don't know much other than positive hearsay about the Honda inverter generators, but I do know something about their olive-drab cousins, the US Army "quiet" diesel gen sets.  Frankly, they're ideal for variable load situations.  The engine can run in something like a sweet spot for that load requirement which minimizes fuel consumption and noise, (Uncle Sugar likes them because they are very quiet under partial load) and the electronics do all the tweaking to get a constant 120 V sine wave output.

Problems?  Well, if you're scared of potted electronics they're probably not an ideal solution.  A properly-engineered one will do just fine as long as it has plenty of cooling air flow over the heat sinks.  And yes, you should be able to integrate them easily into some sort of battery load-bank arrangement.
6/1 Metro IDI for home trigen