Author Topic: IP Roller Tappet Question  (Read 2903 times)

Geno

• View Profile
IP Roller Tappet Question
« on: February 14, 2007, 11:41:58 AM »
My roller was drilled a little bit off, .018” to be exact. If my measurements are correct my timing changes about 6° for every full rotation of the adjuster and one thread on the adjuster is close to .045” That means my timing varies by up to 2.25° randomly. Depending on where the roller is when timing is set, it could go up, down or a combination of both. It could also explain why I have had some trouble timing it.

It looks like the roller is held in place by a hollow pin and a small tapered pin was driven in on one or both ends to secure it.

Does anyone have experience taking these things apart? I don’t want to bugger the thing up and have to wait for a new one. I have a drill press but no lathe.

Thanks, Geno

dkwflight

• View Profile
Re: IP Roller Tappet Question
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 12:58:05 AM »
Hi Geno
Thanks for the heads up.
I've been thinking about your rollers.
What I have been thinking is, you should visit you local bearing house with the roller and the IP tappet. I think you might find a stock roller or ball bearing that would fit the tappet with little or no modification. I had one of mine out a while ago and I thought I remembered a sealed bearing for a roller.
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 11:24:46 PM »
I should have tapped on the pin before posting but didn’t. It came out easily.

The shiny area on the pin represents .002” wear in 400 hours. The roller may have accelerated this wear. The inside of the roller shows uneven wear and may not have been finished properly.

As Dennis suggests I think I’ll look for a ball bearing that fits. Any comments? The injector puts a good bit of shock load on it.

http://www.genedevera.com/temp/roller-tappet.jpg

Thanks, Geno

Doug

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 01:28:55 AM »
If it wasn't for early posts and panic typing this site would be so much less interesting ( I know because I am Mr. panic-post )

Doug