Author Topic: 50 hz gen to 60 hz  (Read 16172 times)

ronmar

• View Profile
Re: 50 hz gen to 60 hz
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2007, 05:45:50 AM »
It is fairly easy to get the voltage on the field back up. All it takes is an small autotransformer or a variac. Most variacs will output around 120% of their input voltage. Take the output and run it though a diode bridge to get your mains voltage up to 240. The variac knob gives you a way to fine tune your generator.

I don't think that will work.  It isn't the voltage, it is the current that excites the field and if the harmonic windings are not producing enough of it at 50HZ, the transformer isn't going to make any extra current.  Then there are the losses in the transformer.  No conversion is free so even cranked up all the way, you would probably see a lower generator output.

Solar's idea of adding a flter cap across the rectifyer output to the field will get you a few volts gain on the generator output(this raises the average current being fed to the field).  1500-3000 Microfarads of electrolytic capacitor Rated at 100V will raise the generator output slightly and if you have a noisy harmonic winding like the ST gens do, will help clean up the generator output waveform(it did for mine).  Unfortunatly I don't think it is going to get you the 30 VAC that you are missing at 50HZ
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

theboss

• View Profile
Re: 50 hz gen to 60 hz
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2007, 10:44:33 PM »
spinning it faster will give around 280V which regular equipment will happily accept without blowing. Only some appliances may be strictly 240V and overhead of extra 40V will give them smoking death. If this is a self excitation design you can vary the voltage to field using rheostat hence reducing the output voltage.