Author Topic: Petter BA2  (Read 3577 times)

ZackaryMac

• Nova Scotia, Canada
    • View Profile
Petter BA2
« on: February 13, 2007, 02:10:45 AM »
I have a chance to buy a Petter BA2 diesel, a 2 cyl air-cooled 20hp engine, basket case, for $250. The guy who is selling it says all the parts are there, and they seem to be. He says he bought it years ago from the government, and believes there are few hours on it.
It was taken apart because the center bearing was scored up. The crank looks fine. He figures the bearing scored from lack of oil, due to the wrong bearing being installed that lacked an oil hole. I looked at it and said there isn't supposed to be an oil hole, because there is no oil gallery on the bearing holder. The oil comes from galleries in the crank. I think he was wrong a long time.
 Anyway, the pistons, cylinders look great. Crank strangely looks great. He had the journals well greased. I wondered why this engine was apart in the first place originally, and he didn't know. Very minimal damage to anything, at least that is obvious.
 Anyone familiar with this engine? Are parts available in Canada? I've experienced basket cases before, and sometimes they are horrible mistake, sometimes a goldmine (rarely). Any thoughts on this?
I also have a chance to buy a one cyl air cooled Petter diesel that the guy (another guy  ;D) claims is 3 hp. No compression due to mice building a home in the engine  - I seen it, and after a few cranks by hand, and lots of crap blowing out the exhaust pipe, some compression returned - everything else there, minus gas tank, plus a heavy 24v alt. It is in a cage, similar to a gas waterpump. He wants too much...$500. I know I don't have the model number, but are these engines worth consideration either?
I don't have any actual plans for either engine yet, however...when did that stop anyone? :D
Kubota EL300A-R 4hp 12v Generator
Kubota B6100 HST Compact Tractor
Onan RDJA 8hp
1994 Chev S10 w/Isuzu C223
All are diesel.