Puppeteer

Author Topic: my lister  (Read 10521 times)

mickyv

• View Profile
my lister
« on: February 12, 2007, 07:00:24 PM »
hi,
i`ve bought a three cylinder lister engine for my narrowboat i`m fitting out,secoundhand, so i thought i`d try and start it before fitting, it turns over with a socket wrench but no way on the starter motor, it trys but only manages one or to turns then the jump leads start to get hot, i thought it was the battery so i bought a new one"1000 amp" still wont turn over getting well cheesed off , appreciate any help.    cheers

rmchambers

• View Profile
Re: my lister
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 07:30:36 PM »
turns over with a socket?   with how much pressure?

How old is the engine?, what shape are the cylinders in?

If the battery leads are getting hot you're drawing a ton of amps.  Either the starter motor is shot or there is something wrong with the engine that is causing the starter to overload.

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 07:46:23 PM »
Does it have a compression release?  How large are the flywheels? DC motors while powerfull are not real efficient when starting heavy loads from a dead stop and require a lot of supply current.  A motor designed to crank a large 3 cylinder diesel thru compression as well as get the flywheels in motion is going to be pretty large and pull a LOT of current.  It might be that the starter motor is designed to spin up a compression relieved engine and the stored inertia in the spinning flywheels helps to pull the rotating shaft/wheels thru a compression stroke after compression is restored(same as the engines that are hand started).
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 07:59:08 PM »
mickyv
  Are the jumper leads up to the task?   Lots of amps means big fat wire. There are some really bogus sets of jumpers out there.
                                                             Bill
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw

Jim Mc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 08:27:45 PM »
...then the jump leads start to get hot...

THAT is the problem.  You should be using a proper set of battery cables.  Not jumper cables.

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 12:04:49 AM »
Does the starter motor spin at all (does it spin out and hit the ring gear and stop dead) ?

A decent starter motor ought to be able to spin a 3 cylinder engine through at least the first compression stroke, there's something seriously wrong with this set up.  Could be the wires but even then I'd expect some movement before those cables turn into heating elements.

Can you push the flywheels through by hand?  is it a new engine?  does it make crunchy noises when you turn it through with the wrench?

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 02:13:30 AM »
Hi
What is the model number of the engine?
That will tell us a lot. Like is there compression releases?
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

mickyv

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 08:03:02 PM »
hi,
   thanks for all your help, the engine type is,  lister LPW S3 , it came out of a narowboat and the chap said it ran ok in his boat but he wanted a larger motor, i`ve had the starter motor bench tested and is ok, it looks new could the last owner of just bunged it on to sell not knowing it wasent up to the job.
once again thanks for all advice look forward to hearing more,  cheers

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 10:08:18 PM »
http://www.winget.co.uk/downloads/pdf/lister_petter/LISTER%20PETTER%20LPW-LPWS-LPWT%20PARTS%20MANUAL.pdf

Try the above link, it's a manual for the LPW engines.  I don't see a compression release anywhere, but, more looking might show it. 

** Parts manual,  211 pages.
http://www.winget.co.uk/downloads/pdf/lister_petter/LISTER%20PETTER%20LPW-LPWS-LPWT%20OPERATORS%20MANUAL.pdf

Operators manual, 30 pages.  Still don't see a compression release.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 10:18:32 PM by bitsnpieces1 »
Lister Petter AC1, Listeroid 12/1, Briggs & Stratton ZZ, various US Mil. surplus engines. Crosley (American) 4cyl marine engine(26hp).

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 10:26:36 PM »
  Winget Co.s Lubricant manual, including newer Lister engines. 
http://www.winget.co.uk/downloads/pdf/miscellaneous/LUBRICANTS%20MANUAL%20ISSUE%205%202003.pdf

Winget Co.s page, see bottom for listing of downloads for Lister engines,
AC-AD,  LPW-LPWS-LPWT,  LT-LV,  TS-TR-TX.  For anyone interested.
http://www.winget.co.uk/downloads.htm
Lister Petter AC1, Listeroid 12/1, Briggs & Stratton ZZ, various US Mil. surplus engines. Crosley (American) 4cyl marine engine(26hp).

Doug

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 11:06:55 PM »
Interesting....

Now I know where my Petter's oil pump came from, an LP engine. Sort of at any rate.

Guy_Incognito

• Just a guy, incognito.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 04:29:04 AM »
Pretty sure that there's a compression release lever on the top of the rocker cover - there's one for each cylinder. Turn them all on, spin the engine up and release one, wait till it fires, then release the other two.

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2007, 06:02:32 AM »
Hi
I went through the parts and operators manual. No Compression release.
So I think you should make sure there is no water or oil on top of the pistons and crank it through with your socket. If free then check the starter.

It probably would be best to have a mechanic check the engine to make sure the engine is in good condition. Easier now then when in the hull.
The injecters should be getting clean fuel ETC. The starter, If the right one for this engine, may need rebuild. The heaviest cable is needed for best cranking speed. A strong battery, fully charged also.
Good luck and keep us posted

Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

Guy_Incognito

• Just a guy, incognito.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 09:02:45 AM »
From the Dumb Things To Check dept:

Is it a 12 or 24V starter?  ;)

peterako

• grazy dutch in Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 07:56:34 PM »
Guy_Incognito you just filled in my idee ;)

it realy soons stupid but a 24 v starter on 12 v is only a quart of power and not running on speed a sjort for the battery.

so a non running engine and smoking cables. :o

greetings from greece

lovson 6/1 DI backup for my new house using solar heating and power plus a 1000W wind generator.