Author Topic: Hi from a newbie...  (Read 2492 times)

M61hops

• View Profile
Hi from a newbie...
« on: February 06, 2007, 06:37:38 AM »
Hi everybody I'm new here and thought I'd check in after lurking for awhile.  Ever since I was a child I've wanted to use a internal combustion engine as a heater since most of the fuel burned get$ converted to heat; and back before condensing furnaces I was shocked at how much heat was lost thru the the flue.  I'm thrilled that other folks have the same idea and we have this forum where we can share ideas with each other on this, and other topics.  My plan is to use the engine to turn an automotive AC compressor and suck all the heat out of the fuel so that the exaust that leaves the engine room is really cold.  Overnight low temps in my area run from 25 to 45 degrees F during the heating season and I hope I can get the exaust gas at least down to 32 F or lower if I can do it without clogging the pipe with ice.  I'd like to run the engine for a few hours every night to get heat and a little free electricity as well.  Although I'm a firm believer in the KISS principle I've been left without power for as long as a week by the power Co. a few times so I can try and justify my actions as an attempt to have back-up power ready.  Maybe people will think my Rube Goldburg contraption is a practial tool and not a manifestation of mental illness?  Please don't tell on me OK?  Hi ya'all!  Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

okiezeke

• View Profile
Re: Hi from a newbie...
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 03:26:25 PM »
Leland,
Welcom to the forum.  Lots of good stuff on cogeneration(cogen) and other uses for waste heat.
Zeke
Changfa type 25hp with 15kw ST head
Lovson 20-2 in blueprinting/rebuild
International TD-15 B  1962 dozer
Changfa 8 hp., 280 A battery charger

dkwflight

• View Profile
Re: Hi from a newbie...
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 11:09:22 PM »
Hi You may want to hunt up an old belt drive compressor from a refrigeration system.

The first part is to set your engine up to run properly hot and get as much heat as possible from the exhaust with a non- compressor method, direct to the water.

Running a compressor has inherant inefficiencies- mechanical losses.

You will want to generate electricity first. As a load to help the engine run properly.

A diesel is not like a gas engine in that the engine needs a load to make heat. Ask any truck driver, their engines don't warm up with out a load.

The engine it self will radiate a lot of heat from the castings. For the ultimate in heat recovery you will have the engine in an insulated room and aircondition the romm to keep temperetures under control.

I don't want to be a party pooper, but you need to decide what you really want to do.
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time