Author Topic: House Burning Down  (Read 12655 times)

Ironworks

• View Profile
House Burning Down
« on: February 05, 2007, 06:53:42 AM »
I see some members have, unfortunately, lost their houses to fire.  Are these generator related?  Is the ST head a concern?

ZackaryMac

• Nova Scotia, Canada
    • View Profile
Re: House Burning Down
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 01:20:28 AM »
I don't know who's house has burnt down, but I am curious...how many people have engines set up in their basements?
Kubota EL300A-R 4hp 12v Generator
Kubota B6100 HST Compact Tractor
Onan RDJA 8hp
1994 Chev S10 w/Isuzu C223
All are diesel.

Stan

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 01:45:54 AM »
I don't know but during a recent power outage in New Westminster BC a couple died from CO after installing a generator in their basement.  Evidently they thought the exhaust was satisfactorily vented to the outside, but wasn't.  You won't catch me with any fossil fuel motor in my house.
Stan

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 04:59:04 AM »
I'm with Stan. Veg oil or biodiesel for indoor work. Much nicer stuff to spill ;)          Bill
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw

ZackaryMac

• Nova Scotia, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 12:52:11 AM »
I'm amazed at how many stories I've heard about people dying from running their portable genset in the basement/garage during magor power outages, because they are afraid to run them outside because someone might steal it....ummm, should they be more afraid of DEATH??!?

I guess they figure a little motor doesn't put out much poison, or they just didn't figure. Realize CO poisoning is a painless way to go, however the idea is not to "go".

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not comparing you guys to them. I know your engines are set up for inside running. My first post was out of curiosity about how much noise they make in the house.
Kubota EL300A-R 4hp 12v Generator
Kubota B6100 HST Compact Tractor
Onan RDJA 8hp
1994 Chev S10 w/Isuzu C223
All are diesel.

biobill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 01:43:25 AM »
 Zack,
   My set up is pretty civilized. Vibration and exhaust noise are gone. I hear a bit of mechanical noise, gov. weights and cam drive mostly.
If the house is silent you can hear it but conversation(talking to myself) or a low radio covers it up.        Bill
Off grid since 1990

Jim Mc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 03:04:38 AM »
...Veg oil or biodiesel for indoor work. Much nicer stuff to spill ...

No doubt the fuel itself is nicer.  But what about the exhaust - Any CO in it ?  Do you run a CO alarm?

Stan

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 03:53:35 AM »
My understanding is the guy in New Westminster had set it up to run his exhaust outside but some tiny little crack or hole (maybe he used flex tube) let the odourless CO out and over the night, it was too much.  And WVO would contain CO as well.  Any Hydrogen + Carbon fuel will produce CO in an oxygen starved (in a cylinder) environment.

Stan

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 04:08:18 AM »
All the more reason to run synthetic oil in the engine.  The viscosity of these oils doesn't change much even way down in the low digits.  It's not going to turn into STP oil treatment like dino oil does.

My car runs 5W30 oil, parked outside overnight lately (8F, 10F) and it doesn't labor during cranking.  Granted the battery is less efficient and giving up the amps but the engine itself doesn't labor with tar-like oil in the sump.

Robert

bobkrack

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 04:52:39 AM »
I guess they figure a little motor doesn't put out much poison, or they just didn't figure. Realize CO poisoning is a painless way to go, however the idea is not to "go".

That's what I heard..  Both my maternal grandparents died of CO poisoning.  Leaking natural gas heater flue pipe.

He on the couch and her in bed.  Two toy dogs on the floor survived.

The only thing I think I know is that while CO2 is heaverier than air, CO seems not to be. 

Internal combustion engine indoors would scare the ship out ot me!

Bob

adhall

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 03:18:08 PM »
Here is a interesting link that investigates how carbon monoxide tends to distribute itself in the air:

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem03/chem03364.htm

Apparently carbon monoxide is slightly lighter than normal air, but not enough so that this is the determining factor in how it is distributed.

Best regards,
Andy Hall
JKSon 6/1, 5 kW ST Head, 1992 Dodge RAM Cummins 5.9L Turbodiesel, 2001 VW TDI 1.9L Turbodiesel, 2006 Jeep CRD Turbodiesel, Yanmar FX22D Diesel Tractor

biobill

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 11:36:52 PM »
Jim Mc
   The exhaust smells better but still has CO in it. Just like oil burners and propane and natural gas furnaces. Can't hear a leak on them though. And yes, there is a CO detector mounted directly over the engine. I've got a bit over 350 hrs in it's present configuration and it's been pretty much trouble free. Really cut my firewood use too :)
                                              Bill
Off grid since 1990

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 12:44:25 AM »
Hi
I shudder to think about running an engine in an enclosed space, like a basement.

I would have at least a blower sucking fumes out of the house, or blowing fresh air in.

Much better to have the things in an out building. Open the door and air it out before spending any time inside with the engine.

If there is a fire you only loose the outbuilding and contents.
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

Jim Mc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 02:32:09 AM »
... Just like oil burners and propane and natural gas furnaces....

From a CO standpoint, I'd argue that an internal combustion engine is more dangerous for two reasons.  First, a properly set-up propane/natural gas burner doesn't generate significant CO.  I/C engines do.  Second, the entire combustion system from heat exchanger through the flue operates at negative pressure, so if there's a leak, it generally leaks in, instead of combustion products leaking out.

People do die from CO poisoning from their furnaces, but akaik, two things have to go wrong.  The burner has to be mis-adjusted, and there has to be a bad flue system. (although a old co-worker and his family almost woke up dead from CO, and their flue was OK -  they had a Lennox 'pulse' gas furnace, which operates at positive  pressure.   Darn close call for all of them)

adhall

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 03:11:23 PM »
I put a CO detector in the bedroom on the first floor of our house. We have the wood stove in the basement which supplies most of our heat. At any rate, the only time I ever set the CO detector off was when I was running a log splitter in ther driveway about 10 feet in front of the garage door. Apparently the wind blew the exhaust gasses into the house through the garage door (the garage stall is in the basement). The door was down, but it doesn't seal very well (obviously).

So at least I know these things work.

Best regards,
Andy Hall

JKSon 6/1, 5 kW ST Head, 1992 Dodge RAM Cummins 5.9L Turbodiesel, 2001 VW TDI 1.9L Turbodiesel, 2006 Jeep CRD Turbodiesel, Yanmar FX22D Diesel Tractor