Puppeteer

Author Topic: alternate method to clean rust off of small parts  (Read 18183 times)

peterako

• grazy dutch in Greece
    • View Profile
Re: alternate method to clean rust off of small parts
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 12:32:08 PM »
Using baking soda you also remove rust and clean perfect a cylinder head.

And if something is realy stuck heat it up and cooldown and soak the night in clean water.

rust removers based on oil are not a good solution.
Greettings from greece
lovson 6/1 DI backup for my new house using solar heating and power plus a 1000W wind generator.

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 03:39:29 PM »
Use phosphoric acid to clean rust.  It's been used for a hundred years without ill effect and leaves a phosophoruous coating that's rust resistant afterwards.  In firearms it's called "French Gray".

It's sold in most every hardware store in the world as "Naval Jelly".  It's best used on warm, de-greased parts.  Rinse with water when done.  It dilutes with water and works well at half strength.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Doug

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 01:27:46 AM »
I tried to find Naval Jelly and no one knew what I was talking about, now I know what acid it is and where its used. Thank you Jack!

I used a weaker than recomended on the bottle Muiric acide treatment on Gus. Worked well, still some rust if you go snooping with a mirror but I can libe withthe results....

Doug

Stan

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 11:34:37 PM »
Napa carries it here in wetern Canada.
Stan

CD in BC

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2007, 04:54:59 PM »
There is a new product called "Evapo-rust" that is supposed to be very effective and re-usable.  I haven't tried it yet myself.

Ironworks

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2007, 03:29:28 AM »
I've heard of people using all kinds of stuff, oven cleaner, peanut butter, coke.  Seems like you can just slap anything on them and it will remove rust.  I've had luck with a wire brush and elbow grease. I am contemplating using the gel form of toilet bowl cleaner.  A good way to preserve iron after rust removal is to coat with mineral spirits and boiled linseed oil.

Stan

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2007, 05:15:09 AM »
There's a great product sold by Lee valley tools for coating table saw tops and iron tools.  It's not an oil its a wax.  It's been tested in harsh salt environments to protect iron for months without any rusting.  It's called Boeing something.  Ironically they can't ship it by air  ;D
I use it and it's great!
STan

I found it, here it is (I was close anyway)

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=50252&cat=1,43415,43440
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 05:18:24 AM by Stan »

Doug

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2007, 07:25:48 PM »
Tried the 50:50 water/Naval Gelly with a drop of soap today....

Its a lot faster than the other acid and leaves a good clean finnish. I will use this next time....

Doug

jtodd

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2007, 02:53:47 AM »
There's a great product sold by Lee valley tools for coating table saw tops and iron tools.  It's not an oil its a wax.  It's been tested in harsh salt environments to protect iron for months without any rusting.  It's called Boeing something.  Ironically they can't ship it by air  ;D
I use it and it's great!
STan

I found it, here it is (I was close anyway)

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=50252&cat=1,43415,43440

Ah, great, thanks!  I've been looking for this stuff for a long time, and I couldn't remember the name of it.  There are some cheaper auctions for this on eBay (make sure whatever other auctions you search on are selling the 12oz and not the 4oz size):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Boeshield-T-9-w-proof-lube-12oz-Aerosal-Spray-D290712_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ26451QQihZ005QQitemZ150087023058QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Sounds like the right thing to spray on spares that I have stored.  While the storage area is dry, surface rust is annoying and I hate to lather parts in oil because that just makes a mess and doesn't stay put anyway.  Dipping spares in cosmoline seems a bit extreme, but I was getting close to considering it...

JT

Doug

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2007, 03:27:33 AM »
If thats all you need look at "fluid film"

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eureka-Fluid-Film-1-gallon-NAS_W0QQitemZ140085551601QQihZ004QQcategoryZ29520QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think thats a US gallon....

Works realy well I use it from everything from keeping th acidic water in the mine from desolving my RTV to water proofing and protecting my leather boots.

Its also a bit greay untill the light ends dry up but its make from wool wax and non toxic stuff so you can lick your Listeroid or what ever perversions you have and not worry about poisoning lol.

DOug 

Loren Johnston

• shoveldriver
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2007, 04:24:26 AM »
Sand blasting is ok but should not be used on parts that go inside the engine. The inside parts should be glass bead blasted. Reason: using sand on iside parts will leave very small particles inbeded in the metal and later it will get in your oil.     Loren

Stan

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2007, 06:38:12 PM »
Jt  IF I include the shipping with the ebay spray, it comes to over $30  >:(
That makes the lee valley spray way cheaper.
Stan

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2007, 12:06:20 AM »
For long term storage or display of bare and colored metal surfaces, here's the museum's way of doing it--

Clean metal parts with gentle solvent,  Stoddards or kerosene, dry with cotton clothes, heat by small torch or burner until 'the water leaves' (you'll see it), then wipe a hard, canuba-containing floor wax throughly and brush the wax into nooks and corners and crannies.  My favorite is 'Trewax', but Johnson's works fine.)  Let stand an hour and wipe off excess wax and polish with a soft cloth.  Reassemble with clean cotton gloves. 

This treatment allows the display of firearms with nothing but occasional dusting for maintenance.  AS LONG AS SOME IDIOT DOESN'T TOUCH IT.   ;)  Mueseums adopted this in the 1890s and still use it today, but air conditioning has made it not as important.

If a gun is to be handled its best to put  a very light coat of hardening oil.  (Engish gun oils such as Young's 303 and Lightwood Rangoon oil) over everything.  It smells good and it keeps fingerprints out of the wax coating.

Collector grade guns are never touched on metal surfaces and are handled only by the wooden parts as a matter of courtesy, but the wax treatment gives an extra measure of protection.

For hard use of very expensive guns the same treatment, but using a mixture of beeswax, linseed oil and turpentine instead of 'hard' wax.   I've had quail plantation 'gun boys' bring a stack of $100,000 shotgun pairs in oak and leather boxes after the season and say,  'Boss say he'll be by next week to pay you." and walk out without a receipe!   I guess the 'boss' told him I'd know what to do with them....

Yeah!  I knew what to do.   Stay up late at night slobbering over them and marveling at gunwork only recently revived to that level.   Truly works of useable art..........like engines, but without the grease..   ;)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 12:24:59 AM by hotater »
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2007, 01:51:11 AM »
Rust,
Having lived on a sailboat down island for 5 years I learned a little about rust.  The T-7(boing) product is wonderful.  Any marine oriented store and most auto parts places carry it.  It dries to a waxy surface that is very durable-even in salt water environment.  I've used many gallons of muriatic acid.  It is IMHO the nastiest stuff you can buy over the counter.  The fumes will burn you.  Any direct contact with it will burn you worse.  But, lordy sakes, it does remove rust instantly.  Phosphoric acid is much more user friendly.  Here in the US one common product is called OsPho.  It's sold in paint stores.  It converts rust into iron phosphate, which forms a corrosion resistant surface.  The marine world uses it on any iron/steel surface before painting.  Works great and it wont try to kill you like the muriatic.  Vinegar works fine, just slow.  Its especially good on water mineral deposits.

Good luck, and if you're not used to working with really caustic liquids, pass on the muriatic.
Zeke
Changfa type 25hp with 15kw ST head
Lovson 20-2 in blueprinting/rebuild
International TD-15 B  1962 dozer
Changfa 8 hp., 280 A battery charger

Doug

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2007, 02:04:07 AM »
Having used both the Muriatic acid ( much diluted ) and Naval Gelly ( also weakened ) in eperiments with Gus I think I'll stick to the belly button jam ( thats what the parts man at work calls it, he still thinks I'm pulling his leg )

The Naval Gelly leaves a finnish Jack calls French Gray. I like it, and I'm sold on it.

What a great forrum and bunch of guys!

Doug