Puppeteer

Author Topic: Tips for installing a glow plug  (Read 60399 times)

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
Re: Tips for installing a glow plug
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2011, 04:09:33 AM »
Mick;
My air preheater looks just like figure 2 in your picture. It's make by Iskra in Slovenia.
It's got 7/8"-14 threaded boss and 12 volts rated with a large 3/8" wide spade connentor.
it's the standard air preheater used in Perkins diesel engine powered Ferguson tractors from the 1970's.
After I blew the nose case off my starter motor (Chevy V8 starter and flexplate on the crankshaft, next to a big Listeroid flywheel)
I removed one of the COV plugs. i want to drill it thru and tap it on the3 lathe, for a glow plug. I've read that VW TDI glow plugs are successfully used in this application, but there are more than one type, so which one is it? Anyone here know? Or is there a better glow plug? What does CMD's COV w/ glow plug use?
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2011, 04:20:36 AM »
Mick;
My air preheater looks just like figure 2 in your picture. It's make by Iskra in Slovenia.
It's got 7/8"-14 threaded boss and 12 volts rated with a large 3/8" wide spade connentor.
it's the standard air preheater used in Perkins diesel engine powered Ferguson tractors from the 1970's.
After I blew the nose case off my starter motor (Chevy V8 starter and flexplate on the crankshaft, next to a big Listeroid flywheel)
I removed one of the COV plugs. i want to drill it thru and tap it on the3 lathe, for a glow plug. I've read that VW TDI glow plugs are successfully used in this application, but there are more than one type, so which one is it? Anyone here know? Or is there a better glow plug? What does CMD's COV w/ glow plug use?

You want to get glow plugs from either a '98-'03 New Beetle TDI or '99.5-'03 Jetta/Golf TDI. Both have the ALH TDI engine. Earlier engines had shorter plugs, and the later ones used a ceramic core that has been known to break. (They were later recalled and replaced with steel core plugs)
GTC 8-1

"Traveling 33 RPM in an iPod world"

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2011, 04:33:15 AM »
Thanks!
I'll be headed for the auto parts store in the morning!!
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2011, 09:34:10 PM »
So I bought a pair of glow plugs to mount in the COV plug.
They are for the VW 1.9 TDI mentioned above. NGK #5909 also known as Y-732J.
These are too short for the plug, which will have to be bored 3/4" at the square drive end if the tip of the glow plug is to stick out as depicted on the CMD site. This will need to be big enough to fit a deep well socket.
Also, the CMD glow plug ad shows a threaded stud with nut to make the electric connection, the 1.9 TDI uses a proprietary push on connection.   :(
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 07:44:26 AM by SHIPCHIEF »
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2011, 12:32:43 AM »
You can buy the little push on connectors that'll fit the glow plug at NAPA. You could also use a die and put threads on the glow plug. :) Think outside the box.  :D
GTC 8-1

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2011, 01:33:23 AM »
Not all COV plugs are created equal..... The 2 on the left with glow plugs are from CMD the right one is out of a Vidhata.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 01:41:38 AM by xyzer »
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2011, 03:52:45 AM »
XYZer!!
I didn't know you were still "here".
What glow plugs are in the COV plugs you show in the pic?
I chucked up my plug in the lathe and thru drilled it 1/4" before I went to work. I think I can do all the work in one setting in the chuck.
I have some free 6.2 GM glow plugs comming too. So I'm ready to do it right if a better glow plug is available.
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2011, 02:12:35 PM »
Chief,
I have been on the side lines watching the discussions and projects. I am getting ready to take off elk hunting (my chance to get away). If I have time tonight I will look at the glow plugs an see if I can find a number. 
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

horsefly76

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2011, 09:20:12 PM »
 My (Lister Petter) LPA3 uses a "Heater Plug" P/N 327523 Very handy stand alone unit.

Is a large coil that gets red hot and is screwed into the intake manifold, much the same style as Deutz uses.
2007 Metro 6/1 Running on Biodiesel (Thank's Sam!)
4 Hp Air Cooled Yanmar Clone
6.5 Hp Kubota EB-300 D
2007 kawasaki KLX 250 Dual Sport
2003 Jetta TDI 5 Spd.
1971 Lister SR1
2 Lister Petter LPA3

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2011, 11:29:14 PM »
Horsefly;
I've got one of those, it's great. I'm just adding the glow plugs as well because I can!
Today I bored thru the COV plug in steps to fit the VW TDI glow plug. It's still in the lathe waiting for me to find a 10x1.0 mm tap.
I tried to post a pic, maybe I'll get it figured out eventually.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 11:51:44 PM by SHIPCHIEF »
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12

horsefly76

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2011, 12:10:46 AM »
Horsefly;
I've got one of those, it's great. I'm just adding the glow plugs as well because I can!
Today I bored thru the COV plug in steps to fit the VW TDI glow plug. It's still in the lathe waiting for me to find a 10x1.0 mm tap.
I tried to post a pic, maybe I'll get it figured out eventually.
Ahhhh yes the VW TDI :) I have a 2003 Jetta TDI that is my 124mi daily driver, nice little bugger I like it a lot! I was thinking the same about VW glow plugs also :) (I have a few from when I replaced them a few months back)
6.5 Hp Kubota EB-300 D
2003 Jetta TDI 5 Spd.
1971 Lister SR1
2 Lister Petter LPA3

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2011, 01:53:27 AM »
Ahhhh yes the VW TDI :) I have a 2003 Jetta TDI that is my 124mi daily driver, nice little bugger I like it a lot! I was thinking the same about VW glow plugs also :) (I have a few from when I replaced them a few months back)

Fun little buggers aren't they? :D Near 400 000Km on mine with 2x stock power.  :o
GTC 8-1

horsefly76

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2011, 09:30:32 PM »
 Yes they are!

I bought mine with 133,000 miles on it with the engine blown up, half of it was in the trunk LOL

Former owner didnt understand belt driven overhead cam turbo diesels and drove it with a bad turbo till it let go. Engine had been hydro locked due to oil pouring out of the turbo's very bad bearings (It had 1/2 an inch of shaft play!)

Now has a new cylinder head and turbo, bone stock but is a quick little car and im geting 48mpg on the hyway :)
6.5 Hp Kubota EB-300 D
2003 Jetta TDI 5 Spd.
1971 Lister SR1
2 Lister Petter LPA3

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2011, 04:47:46 AM »
Installing a VW 1.9 TDI glow plug in a Listeroid CS COV plug can be done on a cheap Central Machinery lathe in a single setup.
I Chucked the combustion chamber end, which is cylindrical. While just lightly fit in the chuck, I ran the 'dead center' into the center hole in the square end, effectively reentering enough for a glow plug.
I Drilled thru 1/4" for the glow plug tip, then bigger holes for the glow plug body and seal, 23/64" tap drill size for the 10x1.0 mm tap, and 3/4" recess for the head of the glow plug and to fit a deep well socket to install/remove the glow plug.
I used a boring bar to spot face the 3/4" bore's tapered bottom from the drill.
I installed the 10x1.0mm tap in the drill chuck, and turned the work by hand, getting a perfectly straight thread. The glow plug tip is centered in the plug face.  :)
My COV plug looks like the two left ones in XYZR's photo above.
VW 1.9 TDI glow plugs are a bit shorter that depicted on XYZR's pictures, but I can't see that it will lead to any problems.
The NGK 5909, also known as Y-732j is a self regulating unit that can tolerate manual operation and long 'on' times. I used a generous gap around the tip to prevent seizure from swelling after the plugs get old, and hope the space will assist with cold starts. The NGK plug was locally available for $10, so I gave it a chance. If it's got a short life, I can pay more for a Bosch or something.
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12