Puppeteer

Author Topic: Tips for installing a glow plug  (Read 60392 times)

MIspecial

• View Profile
Tips for installing a glow plug
« on: January 29, 2007, 03:37:51 AM »
I have a powerline 12/2.  I asked George about adding a glow plug.  He said he didn't know if the threads were the same for the powerline.  I asked old style listers and he said drill and tap the intake and add one from the auto parts store.  I wanted to know what was the best way to do this?  Should I remove the ccv and add glow plugs there or drill and tap?  If I put one in the intake will it be enough heat?  Also what type?  A part # would be great?  Thanks

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for installing a glow plug
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 04:09:04 AM »
a glowplug in the intake will work just fine

there are a couple of options, i particularly like the plug made be champion that was used years ago in cummins 855 ci diesels, it looked like a ford sparkplug on the outside
and had a large spiral wound heater element. i figure one of those with about a 10 second cycle would make the engine inhale a intake air charge likely over 100 degree F.
it would require a metric spark plug tap or a weld in threaded bung such as the one used in mounting an O2 sensor for car header pipes (hotrod supplier)

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

MIspecial

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 04:37:37 AM »
Any worries of that hot air overheating the air cleaner?

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 04:48:01 AM »
you'd only fire the glowplug up during pre-start and startup.  Once the engine is running you won't need the glowplug anymore.  If the engine is cranking over it would be sucking the heat into the engine as planned.  I suppose if the glowplug went on and stayed on without the engine starting it could get pretty hot.

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 08:36:26 AM »
Here is a glow plug timing kit on Eslay.  Its over but it gives you an idea what to look for.  I have been kicking around the idea of using a grid heater off of a Cummins engine to preheat the air intake.  It would take a little fabrication and probably be over kill but I like the idea.
MLG Gib Key Pullers

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 02:58:23 PM »
MIspecial--

Why not buy one of George's and try it. If it doesn't fit and you don't 'adjust' with a grinder, I'm sure he'll take it back.  The critical measurements are the 'distance to the shoulders'.   Some slack can be adjusted out with copper shims.

Unless your engine is cooling down below about 45F you shouldn't need a plug, but George's works great. 

The two cylinder guys I've heard from say one plug is all you need.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 04:05:28 PM »
Here is a glow plug timing kit on Eslay.  Its over but it gives you an idea what to look for.  I have been kicking around the idea of using a grid heater off of a Cummins engine to preheat the air intake.  It would take a little fabrication and probably be over kill but I like the idea.

Oops forgot to leave the link: 150030464376
MLG Gib Key Pullers

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 12:35:25 AM »
I second the praise of George's CS plug mounted glow plug.  Even when my oil is so thick I can only turn it over slowly, I just need to pull it through one compression stroke to start with the plug.  I have no concerns about cold starting anymore, even with the air compressor strapped up on a cold morning.

Bruce M
Snowflake AZ

skeeter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 03:40:15 PM »
I've noticed on George's site that he sold out of glow plugs and will have more made up in February,  "IF" their's a demand. Well, I'm definitely looking to get one. To make sure he knows their is sufficient demand, if you want one, let him know about it. Please don't take this as pushing product for anyone. I just want to make sure that a useful product for my installation, is available. Not to mention the benefit of choice for everyone else here.
PS 12/2 & 7.5kw ST Head
195 deg. F T-Stats
Motorguard Bypass Filter
xyzer's Dippers
1100 hrs & counting

Doug

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 10:13:45 PM »
I'm making a custom intake for the Petter using two Duezt 912 glow plugs.

I'm using  #24 JIC fittings so I can swap out the glow plugs at the twist of a a wrench if and when needed.

Bob's and Mike sugested using Cummings parts and or talked about the plugs igniting a small amount of fuel in the intake to help start a realy cold engine. This also looks like something I would likje to try and build.

Doug

Stan

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 11:37:02 PM »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but in order to use George's glow plug, don't you have to lose your compression changeover valve?  Or can you put it into the intake air fitting?
Stan

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 03:20:21 AM »
Anybody consider salvaging the heating element pack out of a hair dryer gun and installing that in the inlet pipe of their engine after the air filter as a cold start assist?  As they need 120 volts, you could power it from a 12 volt car battery with a common inverter if you already have a battery in the system for electric cranking.  Whatever you do, you want a beefy battery.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 02:29:54 PM »
Stan, you're right, George's glow plug is for 'oids with no CS valve, but a plug where it once was. If I had an original engine, I would pull the valve and put in the glow plug.

My glow plug died a premature death (went open circuit) yesterday.  Without it, I just flat coudn't start my engine.  Too cold and 5600 feet elevation doesn't help.  That plug sure spoiled me!

I found replacements at Autozone for $11 each. Now I've got some spares.

Best Wishes,
Bruce M
Metro 6/1
Snowflake, AZ

Stan

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 04:39:35 PM »
Tnx for the info Bruce.  I'm a little confused though, without the compression changeover valve, you're stuck with the lower compression, and that is a disadvantage at higher elevations.  I'm not as high as you are, but I'm still at 4000'.   I see that as a big disadvantage.
Stan

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 04:46:07 PM »
Stan---  I'm at 5500 ft here...  No COV means it's 'stuck' in high compression mode, not low.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.