Author Topic: Hi from Nova Scotia  (Read 5616 times)

ZackaryMac

• Nova Scotia, Canada
    • View Profile
Hi from Nova Scotia
« on: January 21, 2007, 06:54:57 AM »
Hi everyone.

I came across this forum a little while ago and decided to join. I've had a long-time interest in single-cylinder diesels, and was looking on the internet for Lister stuff and found this forum.
 Though I don't yet have a Lister, or the "oid", I do have a couple of diesel singles (see the sig). The Kubota EL300 came from a flashing arrow sign, the type used at highway construction sites. It has an car alternator attached to run the lights in the arrow. I also added a 120v, 1500w gen head from a military generator (well, it wasn't diesel! ;D) and use it sometimes.
 The Onan seems to be bit of a rarity. I was given this for free, and it runs fine (too good of a deal to pass up). It was a frame-mounted compressor for a small reefer back in the late 70's. Onan themselves can't tell me much about it. Internet searching brings up little. I plan on mounting it and adding a OLD Fairbanks-Morse 3kw gen head that was separated from another old genset, after adding a shaft and pulley to it (also a freebie).
 The GMC Sonoma - well, I wanted a small diesel truck and not only are they hard to find, but when you do find one, they are either rusted to death, or too expen$ive. So I found a rusted out diesel S10, robbed the motor/transmission out of it and yanked the 4.3 gasser w/auto out of the Sonoma, and did the swap. 4 years ago.

Sorry for the long-winded start, I just thought a little history is better than knowing nothing.

Kubota EL300A-R 4hp 12v Generator
Kubota B6100 HST Compact Tractor
Onan RDJA 8hp
1994 Chev S10 w/Isuzu C223
All are diesel.

okiezeke

• View Profile
Re: Hi from Nova Scotia
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 11:06:29 AM »
ZackaryMac,
Welcome to the forum.  The kubota sounds like the one I ran on our sailboat for 5 years down in the islands.  5 hp with a belt driven alternator. 
Zeke
Changfa type 25hp with 15kw ST head
Lovson 20-2 in blueprinting/rebuild
International TD-15 B  1962 dozer
Changfa 8 hp., 280 A battery charger

Rod

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 11:38:34 AM »
   Hello Mac, Welcom from western Maine. We had a wicked wind storm last night and the power went out just after dark. My Listeroid twin is still in the expiermental stage but working. I rigged up some #6 wire to the breaker panal, shut the main & fired her up. Sure was nice~    Rod

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 05:26:43 PM »
ZackaryMac,

Welcome to the forums.  Are those engines of yours air or liquid cooled?
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

ZackaryMac

• Nova Scotia, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 03:26:59 AM »
Hi guys, thanks for the friendly replies.  :)

okiezeke
There are actual marine gensets by Kubota that use slightly bigger, but similar engines to mine. There are also models with the same engine, with the marine goodies required to make it work properly and safely. I know this because I searched the internet looking for info on this engine, and found this out. I'd be lost without the WWW.

Rod
 Nice to hear the set-up worked well for you. Nothing nicer than setting something up and it actually works as it should. I waited over a year to try the Kubota genset...you know you're a fanatic when you WANT the power to go out so you can try out the generator and listen to the diesel putter away... ;D

rcavictim
All the engines are liquid. The Onan needs a rad or some other tank, but the Kubota has the radiator built onto the engine, with a small, belt driven fan drawing air through it all the time. As it came from construction equipment, it has a temp and oil pressure switch, due to the fact it was under light load, and had a 15 gallon fuel tank for it, so it would run for quite a while un-attended. With these safety switches (that I left on), it should be near impossible for it to die an over-loaded death.
Of course, on the other hand, it likely has a billion hours on it.... :o
Kubota EL300A-R 4hp 12v Generator
Kubota B6100 HST Compact Tractor
Onan RDJA 8hp
1994 Chev S10 w/Isuzu C223
All are diesel.

OffGrid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 05:24:11 AM »
Hi ZackaryMac,

Welcome. I also have 2 of the Kubotas and they have great little engines. Good idea to keep all the safety cutouts in place. We also found they have a bad habit of blowing the seal located in the unused casting hole for the hand crank. A standard frost plug seals the hole and could save you from a blow out from a cold start. I have had a friend from Springhill looking for an old Lister but no luck yet. Hope you have more luck! If you fit 2, let me know. Cheers.
Listeroid 6/1
2 - Kubota EA300
5kw Wind Turbine
1kw Wind Turbine
750 watt solar array

m-134

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 09:11:29 PM »
does anyone know where (preferbly in canada) to locate a injector for a Kubota EL300 engine?  or either the part # or another model that uses the same injector or one that will work in it?

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 03:20:00 PM »
 Welcome from the west coast of Lake Huron.
 Wasn't there a time when small fishing boats ran a single or twin Lister or Petter engine direct drive to the prop?