Author Topic: need help and directions  (Read 5699 times)

lobosolo

• View Profile
need help and directions
« on: January 19, 2007, 07:22:19 PM »
I am new to this forum and overwelmed by the amount of diverse info here, but I need a starting point.
I have bought a listeroid 20/2 and a 20 kw gen head that I will be picking up in march 07.  I have seen numerous posts about sand and out of alighn bores,tappetts,etc. so i know i have a long road ahead of me to get this setup where i want it, which is off grid possible but not just yet.  To be able to depend on it I feel i need to start with a complete teardown and some basic machine work.  I have no problem with the teardown but have no machinist training or tools so would use a engine shop.  Dont intend to blue print it just have a good reliable work engine for 24/7 if necessary. So I'm asking for advise on where and how to start this wonderful adventure.  My dad taught me to be a jack of all trades and master of none, which means I'm not afraid to try to learn new tricks and I do pride myself on being willing to try to do it myself.  thank you all.
 I know the 20 kw is more than the 20/2 can power but my need for kw's are determined by my wife's health needs so if i get 10-12 kw and don't overtax the engine I'll be happy. I live in Nevada, North Las Vegas,  hot summers.
I really have no clue where to start here and am asking for guidance.  thanks.  Dan

areas to begin :teardown and clean up
                     frame and mounts
                     cooling and exhaust  (currently in town so need to not disturb neighbors)
                     wiring and installation to house (AC first and eventually switch in grid)

HELP ME PLEASE

Doug

Re: need help and directions
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 07:55:55 PM »
You've already begun, plug along untill you hit a snag and ask questions....

First get yourself set up in a good work area and strip clean inspect...

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 10:21:39 PM »
Lobosolo,
My thread "Lovson 20-2"  gives a pretty good running tale of what I've found doing the same thing.  I'll try to continue to provide details that should help other newbies survive the process.  I'm trying to do as much as possible, but I needed professional help on quite a bit.  My machine shop bill looks like it will come in around 250.00   Still cheap if everything works out.
Zeke
Changfa type 25hp with 15kw ST head
Lovson 20-2 in blueprinting/rebuild
International TD-15 B  1962 dozer
Changfa 8 hp., 280 A battery charger

Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 12:17:36 AM »
I was where you are about a year ago. I have a strong desire to learn and I am fascinated by the old engine technology. My mechanical background is avergae I geuss, I've changed motoros in trucks and stuff but it took me five times longer because I had to learn as I went along. I also have a thread going on mount base building, which is almost done.

I have not decided to tear it down to the crank yet. The sump area was clean with no sand, although I will follow up with a more thourough inspection when I get to that point. I do not plan on having any work done by anyone yet. I may have the crank turned if it needs it, or any lathe stuff since I don't have one.

I hope your not in any hurry to produce power. I have been woking on mine  for about 13 months. One thing abouth these things is that you have to take your time and ask questions. I have asked many question here on a lot of issues and the support has been overwhelming. I have never been flamed or unjustly critisized. You found the right place. I will be happy to help you with any of my experiences.

Good Luck!

peterako

• grazy dutch in Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 09:40:02 PM »
Like all the others informed you are starting good if you have the engine measure all the bolts and buy any missing tools ( the included tools are decoretion only ;D
 make a simple gibkey puller. heaving a multy tool for cleaning is nice. olso i i am whitout a machin shop but a lister is not so difficult and your problems must be fery big to need help here but you can always contact your suplier for help under warranty. but i think that for 99% from the problems there is help here in the forum. reading here is a good start and help is fast.

Greetings from greece
lovson 6/1 DI backup for my new house using solar heating and power plus a 1000W wind generator.

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 10:06:49 PM »
Hi
Dig in and read a lot of the old posts here. A lot of areas have been covered.
By al means ask questions if what was covered is not clear.

Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

DaveW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 10:29:19 PM »
  One area not mentioned so far - I would use a digital camera or even the throw away type cameras and take a picture of every step as you remove a part.  Take a picture and remove a part then take another picture.  Bins, boxes, cans anything that can be labeled to hold the bits and pieces as you take them off is good.  It may be a year or more before the thing is back together, and if your memory is like mine a picture is worth a thousand words come time to put it back together.  Also bolts, nuts and washers are not ones you can go to the corner store and replace.  Don't let one roll under the work bench and think you can replace it from a big box store. 

peterako

• grazy dutch in Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 09:34:14 AM »
Yes Davew that type off Photo recording will save from a nerve breaking assembly.
Also make a record from the inction point , even if you want to adjust this you are easy back on a good startpoint.

During the long period before you are ready to start protect any blank metal parts (not to be painted) whit oil or grease. ( cylinder head and sleev)

Greetings from Greece
lovson 6/1 DI backup for my new house using solar heating and power plus a 1000W wind generator.