Puppeteer

Author Topic: engine power?  (Read 6458 times)

wildman

• View Profile
engine power?
« on: January 17, 2007, 01:25:45 PM »
i just won the auction on an isuzu c201. :) it supposedly has 32 hp, but at what rpm? what would the power be at 1800?

has anyone already set one of these up for generation? i would love to see some pics.

how big of a radiator will i need to cool this thing??

thanks- chuck

dkwflight

• View Profile
Re: engine power?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 12:04:26 AM »
Hi You should be able to find a power curve for the engine someplace on the web. You can then extrapolate from the chart.
Failing that find a power curve for a similar engine and take a guess.

A rad of a small truck should be fine. An S-10 or a ranger. A cheap household box fan should move enough air.

You need to install a thermostat. I got one for a small car and it would work ok for you. Drill a small hole in the plate of the thermostat. I/16"

Mount the rad high and the hot water will circulate on its own. (Thermosyphon)

Start readind a lot of the old posts here. Lots of information
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

ZackaryMac

• Nova Scotia, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 03:53:34 AM »
wildman

Go to this forum, and look for a guy called JLemond (Jerry). He is THE Isuzu Guru on several Isuzu-powered forums I go to. If anyone can tell you about these engines, it be he.

Here is the forum:
http://www.isuzupup.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1
Kubota EL300A-R 4hp 12v Generator
Kubota B6100 HST Compact Tractor
Onan RDJA 8hp
1994 Chev S10 w/Isuzu C223
All are diesel.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 04:41:41 AM »
what did the c201 come out of?
if it was from a car, there might be govenor issues for using it in a genset (rpm stability)
in either case figure on about 18-20 hp at 1800rpm
these engines were used in cars, pickups, gensets, and refer units
the automotive ones used rotary injection pumps
the gensets and refer units used inline injection pumps
the inline pumps are calibrated differently for use either as a genset motor or a refer motor.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

wildman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 05:42:17 PM »
thanks for the info guys,

the engine is out of a thermoking refeer unit. wwe fired it up on the pallet!!! no movement at all. this unit is IDI, which i understand is the difference between the c201 and c240. displacement difference as well.

mobile bob--i understand  that you have some of these as well. do you have a manual on the engine?? in the event that i need to rebuild, i need the particulars of the engine. still trying to line out all of the details of the driveline.

looks like i will be using a double cardan joint with a flange on both ends. if my math is right, at 1800 rpm we are looking at 30 rev per sec, which is 15 power pulses per sec (4 stroke engine). multiply this by 4 cylinders is 60 pulses per sec. its amazing that we are looking for 60Hz power. time the engine in sync with the poles of the generator and you get the power pulse on top of the sine wave (or very close to it). time it 90 deg out of sync and the pulse is at the cross over of the sine wave (o volts). hmmmm??

thanks for all info- it is really appreciated- chuck

ZackaryMac

• Nova Scotia, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 02:20:10 AM »
mobile_bob
I was wondering if you could tell me what cars and trucks had the C201?
Pick-ups used the C223 (like the one I took out of a pick-up and put in mine), and the diesel Nissan Sentra and Chevette used the Isuzu OHC 4fb1 1.8 liter engine. Of course, various Isuzu models used these engines also. I thought the C201 was strictly industrial, but maybe not? ???

The C223 is a OHV push rod IDI engine rated for 58 to 62 hp (depends on the year) in truck service. I believe they were rated for less as a reefer unit. I think the 4fb1 and the C201 were also IDI.

Either way, I'd think the C201 would make a nice generator engine.
Kubota EL300A-R 4hp 12v Generator
Kubota B6100 HST Compact Tractor
Onan RDJA 8hp
1994 Chev S10 w/Isuzu C223
All are diesel.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 04:46:41 AM »
i understand some of the chevy luv trucks used them, and some of the chevettes
but you may be right on the 1.8 version, but i do know that the automotive ones had rotary pumps

thermoking also used them on gensets used to provide power to electric refer containers, and from what i am told they would
run for friggin ever.

one of the thermoking techs i talked to told me he has seen c201's that were so worn out, that it was beyond belief, and like a bumble bee
they kept right on running.

and yes you can start em on the ground and they just sit there and run like a sewing machine, really smooth running little engines

there were millions of them made and should still be one heck of a lot of them around, overhaul kits are reasonable as well.

the flywheel has 6 rubber bushings so that the drive hub from the compressor having pins, drive in this manner
i have been thinking that if one made a bellhousing to mate the engine to the st head you would have a very good drive
relatively inexpensively

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info