Author Topic: Muffler  (Read 14302 times)

snail

• View Profile
Re: Muffler
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 09:22:46 AM »
peterako,
          You're quite right about the benzine/gasoline/petrol mufflers blocking up.Just spent the weekend changing my 12/2 over to a new exhaust system and found the old muffler pretty well clogged.I was running 2 "headers" into a 44 gallon drum with one outlet to a car muffler. Was ok but the drum "drummed" ( what did you expect? :) )
      Drum is now completely buried, filled with gravel and has a 2-1/4" outlet pointing skywards (3m high, no muffler) This is a vast improvement. Mechanical noise is now the biggest problem.Having the engine mounted in a tin shed doesn't help :D. That might be next year's project!

Cheers,

Brian

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 04:19:51 PM »
peterako,
          You're quite right about the benzine/gasoline/petrol mufflers blocking up.Just spent the weekend changing my 12/2 over to a new exhaust system and found the old muffler pretty well clogged.I was running 2 "headers" into a 44 gallon drum with one outlet to a car muffler. Was ok but the drum "drummed" ( what did you expect? :) )
      Drum is now completely buried, filled with gravel and has a 2-1/4" outlet pointing skywards (3m high, no muffler) This is a vast improvement. Mechanical noise is now the biggest problem.Having the engine mounted in a tin shed doesn't help :D. That might be next year's project!

Cheers,

Brian

Brian.

The reason your muffler plugged was likely because the exhaust gasses you were running through it after the big drum had lost most of their heat energy and could easily condense on the insides of the muffler.  You would have been better off if you had placed the muffler closest to the engine.  The heat and high gas velocity there would help keep it clean.

I have recently installed an exhaust heat exchange oin my JD175A experimental generator setup.  It precedes a tractor muffler which I have pointed downwards since much water and carbon drips out of it onto the ground.  Pointing the muffler skywards would end up seeing it flood itself with this gunk.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

snail

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 12:09:01 AM »
RCA,
      That thought occurred to me, but I was trying to use what I had, a single smallish muffler. I figured that by evening out the pulses the muffler would cope.That part worked OK but as you say the low velocity let everything settle out.BTW, the soot in the drum was bone dry, no obvious oil or tar present.I suppose the gravel drum will eventually clog. It will be interesting digging that lot out! :o.

Cheers,

Brian

peterako

• grazy dutch in Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2007, 04:49:17 PM »
Also my muffler is lower than the engine head and the exhaust near ground level.
I am building in two days wall from a soft gypso/sand stone brand name here in europe YTONG.
I hope to stop also nearly all the mechnical sound.
The shed that i am building is 20 M from my house on the north side bud any other sound reduction is welkom for me.

thanks from Greece
P.S. sorry for any mistakes also i am dislextic, but i always say i maybe can not write correct but i can repair and make everthing. ::)
lovson 6/1 DI backup for my new house using solar heating and power plus a 1000W wind generator.

Stan

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2007, 10:49:32 PM »
Don't worry about it, I tried to speak a little dutch a couple of years ago and again tried greek last fall.  Both times I got friendly smiles and a lot of chuckles.
stan

ZackaryMac

• Nova Scotia, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2007, 01:51:38 AM »
Don't worry about it, I tried to speak a little dutch a couple of years ago and again tried greek last fall.  Both times I got friendly smiles and a lot of chuckles.
stan

Kinda makes you wonder exactly what they heard you say (VS what you meant). :o  :D
Kubota EL300A-R 4hp 12v Generator
Kubota B6100 HST Compact Tractor
Onan RDJA 8hp
1994 Chev S10 w/Isuzu C223
All are diesel.

Stan

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2007, 02:41:44 AM »
You should have seen them in Turkey when I tried to speak Turkish, they are a very polite people and were clearly torn between rolling on the floor and correcting my pronounciation.
Stan

wirenutrob

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2007, 04:48:01 AM »
I  bought a 20-2 listeroid  and am in the process of installing it in my new shed. The magic question is...  what size mufflet should I use so my neighbors do't complain about the sound? (Quiter is better) I know upsizeing to 2" is advised but the actual muffler I never had to do this. Also can you make right turns with your exhaust pipe? What are th rules for running exhaust pipe.
Thanks, Rob

peterako

• grazy dutch in Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2007, 09:30:38 AM »
Any Diesel muffler wil do a verry good job. Only the strong puls from air is still present.
If you want to cut that as well i think a second but much bigger muffler like a one from a  truck will help.

But your main problem will be to remove contact sound, in my case a big block of conrete + 2000 KG and sound isolation from the sheet will wonder every one where your elect. is coming from.

Greetings from Greece
lovson 6/1 DI backup for my new house using solar heating and power plus a 1000W wind generator.

wirenutrob

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2007, 03:47:02 PM »

I also am trying to isolate my sounds. I think the metal shed will be a friend and a problem. It was cheap to install on top of the 5" of concrete but now I have to invest in some poly styrene board and insulation. I am mounting the engine and Gen head to 6"x 8"x 10' pressure treated lumber. I hope this will work and I don't have to ankor it to the ground. Only keep it vrom vibrating around with some retaining clips in the concrete.

The "pulls" from the air? Are you suggesting that I use 2 mufflers? I am going to mount the muffler on the outside of the shed. I guess I can go as big as needed I just want to do it one time. I thought there was a math formula for matching engine size or something to get exact muffler size. You are saying the bigger the better.

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2007, 04:03:54 PM »
Not pulls but pulse.  pushing that much exhaust out is a lot of pressure to deal with hence the reason for using 2" diameter exhausts.  Others have buried barrels in the ground to absorb the "whomp whomp" noise and the exhaust for that points straight up so only birds get bothered by it.

Once you have quieted down the exhaust note the intake air noise will become aparrent, and if you silence that, then the deafening tic tic tic tic of the tappets.. ;D

Robert

wirenutrob

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2007, 04:43:12 PM »

now there is an idea.... install the muffler pointing up and put rain cap on it... ok I like that.
As far as the tap tap tap noise. I will have to see how loud that is. The Whomp Whomp Whomp noise; well I can't burry any barrels around here, wonder how loud this set of different noises will be? If I can get it down to around 45 db than it will be exceptable. The sound study I have shows 40 db being a neighborhood area with no vehicle traffic, 50 db is normal office noise. Hope to get some place in this range.