Author Topic: Bushed bearing replacement  (Read 8725 times)

listerdiesel

Re: Bushed bearing replacement
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007, 07:50:12 AM »
Couple of observations:

1) There is no tin/lead coating over the bearing surface that I'd expect to see on a new bearing from Glacier or one of the other makers.
2) The new bearing doesn't look any better/worse than the old one, why are you worried about it?

Might have missed something in the posts, but I'd tend to fit that old bearing right back in and use the engine.

Peter

Doug

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2007, 03:01:20 PM »
A lot of crud went threw the oiling system on the engine guys and some of the bearings are gouged fairly deep.
Far from warn out just ugly. I did try and scrape them with a razor blade as Jack has done on his Babbit bearings but I can still see the glitter of what I assume is silicon carbide in the brass.

I didn't want to run this for fear of that abrasive stuff doing any more harm.

I have the parts to make it right so rather than stress about it I decided to change out the old for the spares I ordered and be done with it.

A little tin on these might be nice. I honestly have thought about taking the old bearings and wiping them with some hot tine lead solder. Before any one pounces on me I know this is probably too soft and not eve close to the right alloy but if I can dig out he carbide and sand the solder will fill some of the voids and with a bit of scraping see what it looks like.

Yes Bob these are main bearings not cam, and I also thought they looked a little like a Detroit part. I never worked on one that could run, but I had a service manual for the 71 series and had to assemble the corps of 6-71 in high school as a project...

The oil pump you see Bob is the spare, the other pump from the engine is still out in the shed but its clean and has no issues. These pumps and oiling system is a little crude and lacks full flow flitering but its still a good system. I realy think this would be a great upgrade for the Listers in place of the cam idler if possible of some place lower down in the block if room permitted. 

listerdiesel

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2007, 08:20:05 PM »

I really think this would be a great upgrade for the Listers in place of the cam idler if possible, or some place lower down in the block if room permitted. 

More observations/thoughts:

The easiest place to mount an external pump is at the other end of the camshaft where there are no other bits in the way.

The Lister engines have a steel/tin cover which could be very amenable to having a 14g (2mm) stiffener inside with a couple of hank bushes, bolt the pump on here, a small tongue/slot coupling into the end of the cam and off you go!

While you were there, you could arrange a decent oil feed to that end camshaft bearing which always suffers through lack of lubrication.

Peter

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2007, 10:30:42 PM »
Peter--

I figured out how to lube that cam end bushing--  Make a pass along the cam with a small radiused lathe tool at four pitch that ends just inside the actual bearing area.  The loose fit of the inside of the bushing allows oil to 'climb' the thread and into and through the  cam bushing.  The drain hole back to the crank case is now being used!  Finally.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 12:51:57 AM »
Jack got any pictures of it?  It sound's spot on..
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 02:01:10 AM by wrightkiller »

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2007, 04:39:27 AM »
like a worm gear but moving oil along it instead of something else.  Pretty slick.