Puppeteer

Author Topic: Alumiweld  (Read 4586 times)

Dave

• View Profile
Alumiweld
« on: January 15, 2007, 08:03:03 AM »
While shopping for 7018 and 7024 welding rods, I ran across these rods that supposedly weld aluminum. Any body ever tried these rods? The instrucions say to use a propane torch.

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
Re: Alumiweld
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 02:12:10 PM »
Those are a low melting temperature aluminum alloy and when used you don`t actually melt the base metals together so it isn`t welding per se but brazing.  Very useful for brazing aluminum beer cans together which is how the fellow in the booth who is flogging this product at many trade shows/fairs often demonstrates how they work.  They have limited applications and cannot replace real aluminum welding on heavier jobs.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 02:58:46 PM »
Dave--

Alumiweld is, as already said, more of a flea market sales gimmic.

Rockmount Research and Alloys (800) ARC-RODS  has "Neptune A" which is a true aluminum arc rod that takes some special techniques to use but does a great job.  It ALSO doubles as an aluminmum 'solder' much like Alumiweld that can be use with a torch of light jobs.

If you're welding the wings on your airplane I'd suggest something better.   ;)
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 04:25:50 PM »
Dave,
  While 'taters rods sound better, I've had good results with the Alumiweld sticks. No way to guage the tensile but I've used them to fab brackets, plumbing, even an intake manifold. Never had a failure. 'Course a mig or tig would have been easier.

Jack
  Will those Neptunes run in a normal DC welder?
                                                                              Bill
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 12:56:10 AM »
Bill--

Yes, at about a hundred amps for 1/8". 

Neptune A is odd stuff.  It runs perfectly perpendicular to the (flat only) work and very close stringer beads only.  The flux is highly hydroscopic and the sticks need to be oven dried before each use, but it's the closest to TIG/MIG I've ever seen on aluminmum and most of it's alloys.
 THere's also a Neptune- M, fluxed-cored mig wire for small gass-less machines.

<Former salesman, present user, firm believer....no financial gain...bs ad in finitum...>
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 04:02:04 AM »
I accidentally over-torqued #4 injector on my VW diesel in my power plant and cracked the eyebrow of outer half of the threads completely off the head.  OOPS!   >:(  I thought the `click` I heard was the heat shield seating.  Nope. 

After cleaning the area with a die grinder I was able to weld the piece back on using an injector to align the threads with the head on the engine using that aluminum, flux coated DC arc welding rod.  That stuff really saved my ass.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion