Author Topic: Tod Engine Powerhouse Project  (Read 9152 times)

Rick Rowlands

• View Profile
Tod Engine Powerhouse Project
« on: January 13, 2007, 04:32:26 PM »
The purchase of the Metro 6/1 has caused me to completely rethink my power generation plans for the Tod Engine Heritage Park.  Instead of connecting to the grid I think my loads are small enough to justify a complete small scale generating plant.  The generating plant will also become one of the exhibits in the museum which basically is a museum of power generation.

The first phase will be the 3KW generator driven by the 6/1.  This should satisfy my single phase current needs.  I don't think I have as much of a power requirement at the museum as does a typical house since I will not be running all those power consuming items such as computer, television, furnace, refrigerator, lights, clocks, microwave etc.  We will have some indoor lighting, perhaps one or two power tools going at once, torpedo heater etc. The 6/1 has been ordered and should be delivered to the shop Wednesday.

The second phase of the project will be a larger unit to provide 3 phase power.  This may happen in another year or so, but the plan is to install a larger engine to drive a 10KW 3 phase generator.  I have several older machine tools which will be coming to the museum including a radial drill press, grinder, welder etc. and I'll need a way to run them.

The third phase is generating 250 VDC and compressed air but we have a diesel locomotive coming which will supply that.  That is out of the realm of the discussion though unless you REALLY want to hear about it.  :)

I have posted five photos of a 10' x 12' 6" shed which will become the powerhouse. Upgrades will include pouring two concrete foundations, one for each engine, a concrete slab floor, putting up the fourth wall and installing a door. I'll also need to install fuel tanks, a load panel and conduit to the main engine building which hasn't been built yet.

Here is the Powerhouse album.  All of the photos that I take of this ptoject will go here:
http://community.webshots.com/album/556987895oyxSje

Joe

• View Profile
Re: Tod Engine Powerhouse Project
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 02:33:38 AM »
...and my wife thinks "I" have big projects.... ;D

Joe
Nothing is easy...if it were...anybody could do it.

2005 Power Solutions  6/1-ST5

Stan

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 03:09:10 AM »
Yah, and here I am moaning about the base and flywheels of my lister being too big and heavy for me to carry into the basement to tear down and rebuild!  The crankshaft on that sucker is heavier than my basement!!!
Stan

Rick Rowlands

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 12:44:13 PM »
Crankshaft weighs 105,000 lbs. and is 23" in diameter.  Each flywheel half is 60,000 lbs. making total weight of 225,000 lbs. rotating mass. Total engine weight about 500,000 lbs.  You're not going to find very many engines bigger than this one, and this was one of the smaller engines that this company made!   They specialized in building engines that weighed around 1,000 tons! 

Rick Rowlands

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 11:54:11 PM »
My Metro 6/1 arrived today!  It arrived intact, no broken parts and at first inspection looks pretty clean too. I did start disassembly and quickly realized that I don't own any metric wrenches or sockets.  I am going to take it completely apart, make a few improvements then reassemble. 

The paint is everywhere and I have quite a bit to remove from the working surfaces.

I do have a few questions which I will place in a seperate post on the main forum.  Pictures of the engine are at:
http://news.webshots.com/album/556987895oyxSje

Stan

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 12:38:53 AM »
I don't know about the Metro brand listeroid, I have an english lister but presumably they are similar.  If so you don't need metric wrenches, you'll need Whitworth or BS (british standard) wrenches.  I tried disassembling mine with a combination of american and metric and found a few nuts and bolts that sort of fit.  As none of mine were rusted or otherwise stuck, I was able to "get by" without rounding things off too badly.  Now that I've gotten a couple of BS wrenches (which I assume are the same as whitworth) I've realized how perfectly they fit!  I wouldn't even try to work on an old english machine without them anymore.

Maybe someone in England can confirm that British Standard is the same as whitworth.  They look very strange because they are so big, until you realize they are called the size they are because of the diameter of the bolt shank they fit.  Not the bolt head!
Stan

listerengine2006

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 10:38:11 AM »
Listeroid 6/1 5KW

Rick Rowlands

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 12:04:03 PM »
Thanks.  That helps greatly.  The thread on the crank handle is a 1/2" - 12 which is listed as a Whitworth thread.  I suppose that since India was a British colony for many years that they adopted their fastener sizes. 

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 08:14:22 AM »
So, how much fuel will the Tod burn in about 5 minutes?  I was just wondering how you were going to provide fuel?  Seems like an engine that size would use alot.
MLG Gib Key Pullers

Rick Rowlands

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 12:52:26 PM »
Its a steam engine and the boilers burned natural gas.  Each boiler was the size of a tractor trailer.  I plan to run it with an electric motor geared to the crankshaft since I can't afford anything else.  The electric motor will be fed with 250 VDC from a small diesel locomotive that we just acquired.

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 12:55:51 PM »
Could you run it with compressed air?  I don't know how much volume you'd need, probably a lot but you could have other engines supply the motive power to a compressor.

Rick Rowlands

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 04:16:57 AM »
My ST10 generator head arrived from Generator Depot today.  Its a bit larger than I expected it would be but the larger the better.  Now once I get the belt pulley from Utterpower, build a base for engine and generator and reassemble the Metro 6/1 I should be ready to generate power! 

Rick Rowlands

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 01:31:18 PM »
A Tale of Two Crankshafts!

Crankshaft for the Tod Engine

Crankshaft for the Metro 6/1

adhall

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007, 03:18:26 PM »
Gadzooks!!!  :D

Best regards,
Andy Hall
JKSon 6/1, 5 kW ST Head, 1992 Dodge RAM Cummins 5.9L Turbodiesel, 2001 VW TDI 1.9L Turbodiesel, 2006 Jeep CRD Turbodiesel, Yanmar FX22D Diesel Tractor