Puppeteer

Author Topic: Ideal RPM  (Read 21518 times)

fattywagonman

• View Profile
Re: Ideal RPM
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2007, 01:52:36 PM »

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2007, 03:16:07 PM »
-building 20-30 kW wind turbine from scratch

Hi rcavictim

Any pics of this or your VW powered CHP gen set up?

Fatty,

I have a complete photo album of my VW genset build and am happy to share it but cannot post pics here yet.  The work on the wind turbine so far (also documented in pics) has been machine shop fabrication of the main drive shaft (4 inch dia steel), and associated parts which shall be the nancelle and guts thereof.  I figure if I cannot succeed fabricating this part of the machine there is no use starting on tower fabrication.  Oh yeah, I have the excavation for the foundation dug but it has backfilled with water and a fair bit of cave-in that needs to be drained and dug out when the time comes to install the re-bar and eight I-beam secured pads, then about 15-20 yds. of concrete.

Write me with your real email address to stephensrw (at) stn (dot) net and I`ll send you some images.  Cheers.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2007, 02:52:14 AM »
  As a rule of thumb. Peak fuel efficiency is going to be at or slightly above the rpms where peak torque/peak airflow per intake stroke occurs. So for the ordinary garden issue Petter,PH1 you can't go wrong running it between 1200 to 1800rpms with 1500rpm being the ideal by a slight margin.

nusynth

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2008, 09:42:25 AM »
I have a Petter AA1 AC genset which runs at 3600 RPM. It sounds real smooth and very steady and appears that it could go on for months like that. I think the 3600 RPM is the top end for this little motor which makes it a whopping 3.5 BHP.