Puppeteer

Author Topic: EPA ANSWERS  (Read 34683 times)

rmchambers

• View Profile
Re: EPA ANSWERS
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2007, 05:01:57 AM »

I don't know if you have read this, but you may find it interesting.... ;) Check it out:  http://www.giltweasel.com/stuff/LightsOut-Current.pdf

Thanks a LOT!!!!  I'm up to page 119 now, like I needed something else to occupy my time!!  :o

Seriously though, it's not a bad read, reminds me a bit of a book I read in High School called Alas Babylon.. similar premise but they lived in Florida.

Doug

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2007, 11:20:40 PM »
I managed seven pages....

Maybe its the third beer and the fact I'm tired dealing with the twits from work, but I wana buy a Soviet vintage nuclear weapon and hire a Chinese scientist and threaton the next guy that runs over something elelctrical.....

Doug

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2007, 04:43:26 PM »
I finished it, it makes for an entertaining read.  It gets a bit funky at the end, introduction of several new characters so keeping the people straight in your head makes it tough.

My guess is that it's written to sort of wake people up to such things as reliance on technology, the over extension of government powers, gun control, learning useful skills, etc.

It goes into some details regarding why things broke, how to get around stuff that broke, and basically how to manage and protect yourself - protection is the key element in the story.

when you have a free day you can read some more, I don't think it's a waste of your time as I found it pretty exciting and entertaining.

Robert

Rod

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2007, 05:34:56 PM »
     In my opinion the people are manipulated to keep them very materialistic and stupid. This was they work hard to buy everything they don't need. As long as they work & buy they pay lots of tax & the ruling elite get richer & the people never learn about what it says on that old Greek tempel "Know Thyself" For a very revealing read Google an interview of Normen Dodd by G. Edward Griffen I have it on video tape about 45 min. It starts with a little background of Dodd so that you can see it's fact & not opinion.  Sorry about the spelling~  Rod

Technonut

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2007, 09:30:13 PM »
I finished it, it makes for an entertaining read.  It gets a bit funky at the end, introduction of several new characters so keeping the people straight in your head makes it tough.

My guess is that it's written to sort of wake people up to such things as reliance on technology, the over extension of government powers, gun control, learning useful skills, etc.

It goes into some details regarding why things broke, how to get around stuff that broke, and basically how to manage and protect yourself - protection is the key element in the story.

when you have a free day you can read some more, I don't think it's a waste of your time as I found it pretty exciting and entertaining.

Robert

Good summary.... I am glad to have shared the link to the story..  :) I liked it myself. It gets one thinking, which can be a good thing... ;)
Metro 6/1 (4 kW Indian GenHead)

GM-90 6/1 (7.5 kW ST GenHead)

Isuzu 3LD1 (12.5 kW Croatian GenHead)

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2007, 12:45:40 AM »
It did get me thinking...  Get my concealed weapons permit, stock pile food, generator, more batteries - I say that tongue in cheek but there's pro's to them all.  It doesn't take losing power for very long to get people upset.  August 14th 2003 saw most of the East Coast in the dark.  Had that gone on for a month I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was some real nastiness that went on.

My neighborhood is reachable via 2 roads, I guess we could always block them up and keep the riff raff out.  Mind you the other 3 sides is water so we'd need to watch out for a nautical invasion too.  Then there's the airport.. so many things to do so little time.  you get the idea.

Folks like Bill, Hotater, and Zeke who are living out in the country already have to depend on themselves so having an incident like the story happen to them, they'd already be ahead of the game. (and more of you I'm sure, but these 3 spring to mind).
I live in a small neighborhood, not enough land to grow enough food on so in the event of an EMP that wiped out everything technological I'm up the proverbial creek.

Robert

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2007, 01:03:12 AM »
well i guess i gotta dig a double ring moat, import some alligators for the inner moat, use the outer for the septic system..
gun towers,, i guess i could claim they are deer stands :)

in the last two windstorms here in tacoma, we lost power for 18 hrs the last and about 30 hrs the time before, things get really stupid amazingly fast.
you can't buy gas the pumps don't work, you can't use the atm no power, you can't buy groceries no power/no puters at the checkout.
no street lights,  and then folks get stupid, driving on sidewalks and cutting each other off.

i know i do not want to be living in a city should things flip for more than a day or two, maybe a week tops
a month or longer,,, no way.... i want out.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Technonut

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2007, 02:26:10 AM »
The hell of it is, an EMP event is not far-fetched or "tin-foil hat" stuff. I read a recent book, War Footing... 10 Steps America Must Take To Prevail In The War For The Free World http://www.warfooting.com/ that has a chapter about a possible EMP attack.

This is not speculation. It is the conclusion of a report issued in 2004 by a blue-ribbon commission created by Congress. The commission found that a single nuclear weapon, delivered by a ballistic missile to an altitude of a few hundred miles over the United States, would be "capable of causing catastrophe for the nation." How is that possible? By precipitating a lethal electromagnetic pulse (EMP) attack.

This sounds unbelievable. But a blue-ribbon commission created by Congress confirmed this danger in a report submitted in August 2004. Thanks to the almost unimaginable power of an EMP wave unleashed by a properly configured nuclear weapon - approximately a million times as strong as the most powerful radio signals on earth - the devastation caused could make the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina look modest by comparison.

EDIT: Added quote....
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 02:45:57 AM by Technonut »
Metro 6/1 (4 kW Indian GenHead)

GM-90 6/1 (7.5 kW ST GenHead)

Isuzu 3LD1 (12.5 kW Croatian GenHead)

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2007, 02:27:29 AM »
When TSHTF, if you are stuck living in a big city, you are toast.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Doug

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2007, 02:48:31 AM »
On the up side your realy in for some good buisness if your a candle stick maker....

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2007, 04:03:40 AM »
yes and that pulse will take the grid down for upwards of two years, because of the lead time to build and place the supertransformers that transport the
power over the grid. these transformers take two years to build, and will go to the highest bidder, 2nd highest will get his next and will take another 2 years! and so on.

these super transformers are not emp protected

http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/2005/050309-electric-wmd.htm

http://cryptome.org/bartlett-060905.txt

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43956

somehow i am likeing the st head more and more :)

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2007, 04:09:29 AM »
When TSHTF, if you are stuck living in a big city, you are toast.

True enough, hopefully the mags in the plane still work, I'm 1/2 mile away from the airport.. I can load the family up and fly up to Glens Falls and go hang out with BioBill  ;D

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2007, 05:48:33 AM »
On the up side your realy in for some good buisness if your a candle stick maker....

A mob isn`t going to pay you for candles when they can turn your house into one big un for free.  Visions of Cheech and Chong `table candles` (Hey man, ya just pour some wax on the table man, and light it!) but on a much larger scale.  It won`t be pretty.  It will be pretty insane.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

wiebe

• owner kubota knd3 2x
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2007, 09:36:32 AM »
when shtf.
and my generator is putting out elektricety ,wat can i use in the house after a emp.
ore thus the emp not hitting us.
and are retifier briges not [diode,s] not haremd by it????
most of our things at home have some sort of elektronics in it, the frige whasing maschine ed .
even our tools have elektronic rpm things in it
so should we stok old eqiupmunt now with no eletronics in it
sorrie for the spelling
wiebe.

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2007, 01:46:18 PM »
wiebe,
Most people go through life spelling words only one way...it is up to us with creative minds to offer alternatives...if they don't see the genius in that, there is little else we can do for them....  :)

Joe
Nothing is easy...if it were...anybody could do it.

2005 Power Solutions  6/1-ST5