Author Topic: EPA ANSWERS  (Read 34920 times)

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
Re: EPA ANSWERS
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2007, 04:31:53 PM »
when shtf.
and my generator is putting out elektricety ,wat can i use in the house after a emp.
ore thus the emp not hitting us.
and are retifier briges not [diode,s] not haremd by it????
most of our things at home have some sort of elektronics in it, the frige whasing maschine ed .
even our tools have elektronic rpm things in it
so should we stok old eqiupmunt now with no eletronics in it
sorrie for the spelling
wiebe.

My vacuum tube stereo gear will still work!  ;D   My VW Jetta diesel will still work!  ;D 

As far as a nuclear EMP is concerned I suspect those far from ground zero will have appliances that were not plugged in in better chances of still operating if they have a working genset. It will depend on factors like internal shielding, how the power cord was wrapped in storage, how much silicon is inside and the type of silicon.

I am more worried about a solar storm causing the grid to become badly damaged because of the reluctance of utility station managers to shut things down and isolate their systems despite foreknowledge of the event because of legitimate fears of being sued  by large corporations that could lose profits if the power is shut off.  The decision to isolate yourself from the grid is a judgement call.

I had a mains carried power surge incident a month ago during an ice storm while i slept.  I was awoken by a loud `bang` in my bedroom.  A search revealed that the MOV surge protectors in a power bar supplying my TV and stereo in that room had exploded inside the case.  The big UPS in the basement that was powering my computer and other gear in my upstairs office was beeping.  Examination showed that one of the two MOV`s inside that protect the UPS from mains surges had partially exploded and gone short circuit taking out the 15 amp mains fuse. With the mains fuse open the batteries were not charging and the unit was operating in inverter mode with the power fail alarm beeping.  I was able to fix this rather expensive UPS (what a relief!) by replacing the two MOV`s and fuse.  No other damage was evident and it has been running just fine since.  The GFI outlet in my bathroom was making the strangest noise and has been found to not function any more.  I need to replace it.  This episode was pretty unusual, a first for me, but shows that there might be good justification in installing a large entryway surge protector at the main disconnect and breaker panel.  These unfortunately are expensive.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2007, 01:14:13 AM »
So...if an EMP can take out the grid, and fry the coil and condenser in a pre-1980s vintage car, what makes one think that an ST-___ generator would survive?

Reading that brought back memories of listening to a late night shortwave broadcast originating in, of all places, St. George, Utah.  A woman was calmly delivering a lesson on WTSHTF, black helicopters, food caches, etc., and explaining that when the UN troops come to get you, that your only hope is to have a good rifle that can score a head shot; a .223 is to be preferred.  Don't aim for the helmet because they're Kevlar lined; aim for the face.  That scored about a 6.7 on my weirdness meter.

One thing I must agree with is that when/if that happens the last thing any of us will be concerned about is whether we have enough generating capacity to keep the ice cream in the freezer hard.

Quinn
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 01:17:24 AM by Quinnf »
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

Technonut

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2007, 01:33:05 AM »
So...if an EMP can take out the grid, and fry the coil and condenser in a pre-1980s vintage car, what makes one think that an ST-___ generator would survive?

From Utterpower: http://utterpower.com/ST.htm

In closing.... Have you heard of an EMP?  Electro Magnetic Pulse ?  Some folks think that the use of  EMP tactical weapons becomes more likely everyday. One EMP could wipe out all the electronic devices, your car wouldn't work, your microwave, TV, radio, etc;  would be junk... How about that solid state ignition system on your trusty Briggs and Stratton? It would most likely be junk too. 

But... a generator built like the ST, powered by a small diesel with no electronics could be brought back on line in the matter of minutes.   Does it make a person radical to think about these things? Today.... I don't think so.

EDIT: To be a little more on topic, I read this up in the Listeroid Engine forum posted by Mike Montieth:  http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=1615.0

I have applied to EPA for the Certificate of Conformity and have been assigned a manufacturer number. There is still a great deal of paperwork and testing yet to be done. At some point in the next month or so I'll need to ship one of my engines to the EPA test facility so the results can be documented. That'll be one of the most expensive parts of the certification. BTW, they are very interested in the engine "kits" and non-conforming engines in circulation. Yes, they are aware of them. I wouldn't be surprised if some importers got a call. Just what we need, more government.The government is here to "help" you.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 01:46:51 AM by Technonut »
Metro 6/1 (4 kW Indian GenHead)

GM-90 6/1 (7.5 kW ST GenHead)

Isuzu 3LD1 (12.5 kW Croatian GenHead)

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2007, 03:17:58 AM »
what makes me think an st head would survive?

it don't make a difference to me if it does or does not.
but faced with having to repair a generator i would rather be faced with rewinding an st head
rather than haveing to rework a high tech head, or one with some form of intricate regulator

actually i would probably go the automotive alternator route, i know they are made to work on

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2007, 04:18:49 AM »
I wonder if you kept spare rectifiers in a heavy steel grounded box, if they might survive EMP? 
That's about the only electronics in a ST.
Zeke
Changfa type 25hp with 15kw ST head
Lovson 20-2 in blueprinting/rebuild
International TD-15 B  1962 dozer
Changfa 8 hp., 280 A battery charger

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2007, 05:36:52 AM »
I wonder if you kept spare rectifiers in a heavy steel grounded box, if they might survive EMP? 
That's about the only electronics in a ST.
Zeke

Any small spares like that you want to survive just wrap in aluminum foil.
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2007, 12:59:57 PM »
Interesting, I would have thought that aluminum (or aluminium) foil, being non-ferrous would not do much to dissuade an EMP from hassling the devices therein.  How do the physics of that work out?  and is that why a foil helmet is such a good precaution against alien mind control?  ;D

Who'd have known?

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2007, 01:29:19 PM »
….that’s why I keep my spare diodes under my tin foil cap… ;)

Joe
Nothing is easy...if it were...anybody could do it.

2005 Power Solutions  6/1-ST5

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2007, 07:48:52 PM »
I was just looking for an excuse to weld up a thick steel box!  Bet if I make it pyramid shaped.....
Zeke
Changfa type 25hp with 15kw ST head
Lovson 20-2 in blueprinting/rebuild
International TD-15 B  1962 dozer
Changfa 8 hp., 280 A battery charger

wiebe

• owner kubota knd3 2x
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2007, 08:51:22 PM »
Interesting, I would have thought that aluminum (or aluminium) foil, being non-ferrous would not do much to dissuade an EMP from hassling the devices therein.  How do the physics of that work out?  and is that why a foil helmet is such a good precaution against alien mind control?  ;D

Who'd have known?

y think he meens shorten the contacs of the brige so no voltage buldup can happen
my 2 cents

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2007, 10:30:43 PM »

Who'd have known?

y think he meens shorten the contacs of the brige so no voltage buldup can happen
my 2 cents

my 2 cents

Sorry Wiebe, that is not the protection mechanism. To shorten the leads means to cut some off making them less lengthy.  I suspect you meant to write to short circuit them?  You could solder wires across the device leads, shorting them and an EMP could still blow up the diode(s).

Anyone else wanna try?
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

clytle374

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2007, 11:03:40 PM »
A old safe is my plan, 3 inch thick steel.
I remember  reading somewhere that using 3 insulated layers is best.
Example steel-insulation-copper-insulation-steel.  As the EM induced current in the first layer could re emit a EM wave.
Often  RF boxes on circuit boards of have steel/copper layers.
Cory

Stan

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2007, 12:05:08 AM »
Google "Faraday Cage" ;D
Stan

Andre Blanchard

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2007, 07:00:13 PM »
A friend told be one time he was at an electronics swap meet that was setup on the field of a football stadium.  They had all got there computers booted and were hapily showing off what they had build etc., this was when booting a computer involved lots of toggle switches or if you were lucky a stack of punched cards.

A maintenance guy comes along to do some work on a gate in the steel guard rail.  So he opens the gate clamps the welders ground on to the fence rail and strikes an arc on the fence on the other side of the open gate. :)
Think very large air core transformer with a single loop primary winding.
Every computer on the field stopped working.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2007, 07:34:11 PM »
something else to consider

yesterday some bozo managed to climb up in the wheel well of a jumbo jet and fly from london to nyc
of course he froze to death in the process... but he got on board undetected!

now if you have a suitcase nuke, with a timer or cellphone detonator, and did as he did and stuff the suitcase instead
of himself into the wheel well... well now you have the emp and the delivery system all in place

so i guess it comes down to a question with "when" not "if"

what a wonderful world we live in :)

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info