Puppeteer

Author Topic: mitigating exhaust and epa concerns  (Read 24697 times)

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: mitigating exhaust and epa concerns
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2007, 04:28:11 PM »
the more i think about it, the more worthy  a project it seems

i have been thinking about the epa, exhaust noise and all that blah blah blah..
but the bottom line is if
the exhaust can be used to promote something positive then i think it a good thing to incorporate into a new installation.

most folks are actively trying to harvest the heat from the cooling and/or exhaust for space heating or domestic hot water.
if it can be shown that the exhaust can be used to promote plant production that has value, then perhaps it has as much value and will
generate as much interest as cogeneration has.

not haveing any smoke, or exhaust noise would be a side benefit, that may or may not have value to the particular installation.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2007, 07:47:54 PM »
One thing to consider is that there will be a moderate amount of solids.  Mostly carbon and hydrocarbons.  I'm thinking of a small tank with connected perf pipe, just like a septic system only smaller.  Want this thing to be self-cleaning as much as possible.  Mabe run steel pipe to the tank, let the gas cool and preciptate there, then stuff could run on down the perf pipe, which could prob be plastic.  This would also give the bugs a range of temp, humidity, gas levels, etc., so they could find their ideal spot to grow.   Agree that manure is a great source for bugs.  Mabe a few shovels full of dirt from around a local oil or gas well?  Bob, where is your Kansas homestead?  I'll be in Oklahoma about 30 miles west of Ft.Smith AR. 
Zeke
Changfa type 25hp with 15kw ST head
Lovson 20-2 in blueprinting/rebuild
International TD-15 B  1962 dozer
Changfa 8 hp., 280 A battery charger

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2007, 08:07:13 PM »
marion county kansas, about 65 miles nne of wichita

i looked at some property out in the scrub oak of salisaw oklahoma about 25 years ago.
reminded me of cinderblock mountain of the old ford commercials :)

as for the carbon, the plants will use the carbon as i understand it, and the microbes should handle most if not all of the hydrocarbons.

doing more research, but seems like a very doable endevour.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2007, 12:42:41 AM »
Bob,
I know what you mean about okieland.  I admit at least part of the reason I bought my mountaintop was that it was the only place I could afford to buy 80 acres- $450/acre.  Power is about $20,000 away and I need a well and a house.  Other than that its ready to move in.  I hope to get going on it this spring.  When I was looking last year I stopped at a construction site and talked to the contractor.  He said that he had to buy a building permit, but he never saw anyone from the county out looking-let alone inspecting.  I dont mind building to code, but less govt. is definitely better.  My 20-2 will really get a workout, probably about 18-7 with a big battery bank/inverter for nights.  We lived on a boat for 5 years and I got real familiar with supplying my own power.  Had a single cylinder kubota diesel, wind, and large solar array.  I can buy/make a darn good system for a lot less than the  20k to run the power line.  I hope to get wvo/wmo to mix with diesel and with luck I can produce power almost as cheap as the grid.  Think I'll try the 20-2 at 650rpm since I dont really need 20hp.   Will be fun to make it all work.
Zeke
Changfa type 25hp with 15kw ST head
Lovson 20-2 in blueprinting/rebuild
International TD-15 B  1962 dozer
Changfa 8 hp., 280 A battery charger