Author Topic: Scored a BIG 800 Amp DC cct breaker  (Read 3138 times)

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
Scored a BIG 800 Amp DC cct breaker
« on: January 26, 2007, 05:05:56 PM »
I was at a surplus store yesterday and amongst a small selection of the usual industrial sized, AC type circuit breakers, the larger of which were really  pricey, I found a Heinenmann DC  rated breaker that is a dual 400 Amp job strapped together to make a single 800A breaker rated at 160 VDC. These are strapped at the factory.  Has #2 trip curve (good general purpose protection) and a internal SPDT instrumentation switch to drive an external breaker status monitoring circuit.  This is a GJ1P-Z166-1.  A Google revealed that this is Heinemanns flagship premium hydraulic magnetic design offering and is considered good enough to completely replace any circuit fuse and may be used as the ON-OFF switch in many applications. The power range  in this GJ1P series is 100-1200 amps.

Because this breaker has an attached sticker from the factory that states `SPEC PURPOSE NOT FOR GENERAL USE` and the fact that it is DC only seems to have made the price way lower.  I got it for $24 CDN + taxes.  ;D   If it had been priced comparatively to their AC breakers it would have been at least $200.

I now have a perfect circuit breaker/disconnect and overcurrent protector for my home power system battery bank! 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 05:07:56 PM by rcavictim »
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

rmchambers

• View Profile
Re: Scored a BIG 800 Amp DC cct breaker
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 05:34:30 PM »
That was a steal!  sounds like a perfect complement to the battery bank.

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 08:45:41 PM »
That was a steal!  sounds like a perfect complement to the battery bank.

Sure was RM! I already have an 800 amp to 50mV shunt and appropriate matching panel meter calibrated 0-800 amps DC.

I am also in the process of collecting bits and pieces to make a DIY EV (Electric Vehicle) because I thought it would be something uber neat to play with. Like I need more projects.   ::)  I will need an identical type cct breaker for that project as well although I could get away with a 400 amp breaker. 

I have four large, 3-phase, 100 amp, 600 volt AC Westinghouse breakers with a single paddle actuator that are seriously big physically from a 1954 RCA BTA10K AM broadcast transmitter installation.  I would like to see if one of these with all 3 circuits parallelled might be good for say 300 Amps DC.  If so, one of those could possibly work for my EV if the trip curve was generously slow.  I plan to use one on AC as the master disconnect switch to my wind turbine alternator head.  Since I already have these and they are really high quality breakers that can be used screwed to a plywood panel without a box if needed (very versatile), it will save me having to purchase expensive disconnect switches.

Doug was going to advise on the specs on my Westinghouse breakers for me but alas I have been lazy geting him the model number.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Doug

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 10:54:21 PM »
No wukas:

I had a mind fart and forgot about it....

Doug