Author Topic: Georges Cd arrived, my CS is comming apart...Several Questions..  (Read 9939 times)

fireram

I have been reading George's cd, and now have some of the easy to remove parts off my CS.

I have a chunk missing from the bottom of my cylinder sleeve.  It is almost big enough that I can just see the edge of a ring at bottom dead centre.  Anyone think this is a problem to worry about??  It is a listard cylinder.  The chunk is not in the case, so I assume it has been missing for quite some time..

I would like to fully take this engine apart, I was going to order the gasket set from gasket to go,  anyone have any better, or closer to canada options??

I have a furnace oil filter unit currently installed,  Would an automotive type unit be better, I was considering a heated unit such as the one found on dodge diesel pickups, if the furnace filter is sufficient i will just get a new cartridge???

The compression changeover started to leak when fully open or closed.  When I took it apart there was a small piece of copper disc sitting in the cup. I could not find this and think it was put in place to put off proper resurfacing of the valve faces.  Does anyone know if there should be anything copper in there, or just properly mated surfaces??

I also have a rad leak, I am looking for a rad shoppe to rebuild the core..

I have posted pictures of the cs before it was shipped to me on coppermine.  And hopefully will get some good pics tomorrow of the broken bits.

Anyone in Canada that has spare parts for sale??

Thanks,

listerdiesel

Re: Georges Cd arrived, my CS is comming apart...Several Questions..
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 09:07:44 AM »
The missing part of the liner is probably safe to ignore as long as the ring is only just showing. The piston is at its slowest speed at that point and at TDC.

There are no copper rings on the actual change-over valve seats, only on the housings where they screw into the head, there are two rings.

Peter

fireram

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 08:48:37 PM »
I tried to add more photos to coppermine, kept getting a mem error, no matter how small the photo size was,  so i gave up and put them on photobucket.

http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q227/fireram/

Dose not take long to take one of these apart...

I see the missing piece of the liner is on both sides of the cylinder, like the connecting rod made contact with the liner and cracked off a piece from each side?????

I posted a pic of the mysterious copper piece in the compression changeover valve.

What are the odds of re using the copper gasket????

And is it normal to see the impression of the valves in the carbon on-top of the piston??  See pics...

Thanks Peter, I will have a closer look at the housing tonight.  By the way, do you sell gasket kits??

Thanks again....

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 10:54:29 PM »
tough to see on the picture of the missing liner parts the focus isn't quite there. I've seen on other engines (motorcycle) the bottom of the cylinder having two machined cuts in them to give them clearance from the big end as it spins around.  Your edges are rough looking like something got snapped out rather than cut out?

I used to have the very same oil filter on my furnace, that takes a 1a-25a filter.  Normally it came with a felt filter but you can get close packed foam type filter elements for it which I believe do a better job of straining the fuel oil through.  Not sure if you are in the US or not but if you are, you can buy these elements from any heating dealer supply shop.

Robert

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 07:06:17 AM »
your engine threw a rod at somepoint in its life,  :o

but not to worry, should be no problem
if you pull the liner, be sure to take a die grinder and relieve any sharp edges so it doesnt cut anything, i would also look it over good
for any signs of cracking, and relieve the inside of the busted out section as well, (relieve= grind over or round over the sharp edge a bit)

i personally don't see any reason a person could not reuse a copper ring seal, gskt, washer, just sand off any burrs and anneal it if you are worried.

nice project

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

listerdiesel

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 08:30:07 AM »
I see the missing piece of the liner is on both sides of the cylinder, like the connecting rod made contact with the liner and cracked off a piece from each side?????

As Bob says, looks like it had an exciting moment in the past! :-))  That 'might' explain the contact marks on the piston, but more likely the bump clearance is too small.

I posted a pic of the mysterious copper piece in the compression changeover valve.

The only two rings in there should be the large diameter copper rings that seal the housing halves.
What are the odds of re using the copper gasket????

The head gasket is normally resuable as long as the fire ring is intact (Fire ring is the circle of copper round the edge of the combustion space in the gasket that covers the edge of the gasket)

And is it normal to see the impression of the valves in the carbon on-top of the piston??  See pics...

See above.

Thanks Peter, I will have a closer look at the housing tonight.  By the way, do you sell gasket kits??
Thanks again....

No, we don't sell anything on a 'regular' basis, just odds and sods to help folks out.

I was a bit concerned at the bore picture, it looks as though you may have a crack in the bore, unless that mark will just rub off?

It certainly doesn't look right and needs investigation. Run your fingernail over that division in colour and see if you feel anything.

I also note that the engine has had water in the combustion chamber, which might fit with the cracked liner and conrod mishap?

Peter

fireram

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 02:26:40 PM »
If the liner is cracked, is it replaceable, are there replacements available?

I will try to pull the cylinder off today, i probably need to add a shim under there anyway, and i am into it this far.

As for the CO valve, looks like the large diam copper washer are missing, so I will add that to my list of needed parts.

I will take more pics once I take a few more things apart and will post to the photobucket.

Thanks very much for the help.

listerdiesel

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 05:01:11 PM »
If the liner is cracked, is it replaceable, are there replacements available?

Nope, but you could get an insert liner fitted after boring the block out first, that's always a possibility.

I will try to pull the cylinder off today, i probably need to add a shim under there anyway, and i am into it this far.

As for the CO valve, looks like the large diam copper washer are missing, so I will add that to my list of needed parts.

I can probably find a couple of new change-over valve washers, or you can get the sizes off our website.

I will take more pics once I take a few more things apart and will post to the photobucket.

Thanks very much for the help.

Have a look at that block inside the bore, I'd be very interested to hear what that is.

Peter

fireram

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 09:30:42 PM »
I had a closer look today, and posted more photos to the photobucket link.

There is no cracks in the cyclinder, but those dark triangular shaped patches are actually lower than the surface of the cylinder wall, Like an indented little hole with smooth edges. about as deep as the thickness of a piece of paper, maybe two.....

Can the listard coated cylinders be honed?

Thanks Peter,   I will look for the size of the washer off your website and see if I can source them from a hydraulic guy i know.

I also found the coolant pipe flange to be broken, will see if i can get it welded...

How about that piston,  is it normal for the carbon to be deposited on the sides like that???

What to do???  no matter, I'm having fun so far...

Thanks again guys...

Stan

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 09:40:28 PM »
I had the same type of "indentation" on mine, only it is just at the top of the cylinder and affects the top 3/4" or less for about 3" around.  I have come to the conclusion that it won't affect my Lister, as at least 2 of the compression rings don't cover the "worn" (if it is that) area.  It looks like the chroming process affects the outer .020" of the surface and it somehow "peels" off when some process or other happens.  Yours looks pretty messed up however as the rings will have to pass over all of your "worn" areas.  I'm not sure whether it could be bored out a touch and oversized rings sourced.  That's what I'd be asking a machinist!
Stan

You can get a new cylinder you know.  If I remember correctly they're about $200 cdn with shipping.  Ask Troy, I think he's got some in stock.

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 10:35:12 PM »
Fireram--

It looks like that engine suffered a broken rod that tilted the piston in the bore and caused the 'divots'.  I'd take it to a machine shop and get their opinion after measurements and examination.

I'd sure appreciate a side view of the rocker pads.  Up close and cleaned up with a scale in the pic, maybe?   ;) 
I'm still trying to figure out what the OEM radius is.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

snail

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 11:59:27 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out what the OEM radius is.

Mr Ho,
Mine (1940 vintage) are pretty worn but appear to be 7/8" radius.The wear is only in the centre of the pads.Looks like a simple (as opposed to compound) radius.
Does this help?

Cheers,
Brian

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 12:28:13 AM »
Brian--

That measurement is close enough to twice what I had calculated from another picture, I can't help but wonder if your's is a segment of a 7/8" circle?  Or radius? 
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

snail

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 12:50:50 AM »
Mr Ho,
        Of course your'e right :) I forgot to divide by 2 ::) I plead mitigating circumstances though, cos it's still morning here and i have only had one cup of coffee!

brian

fireram

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 02:54:14 PM »
I posted pictures of the rocker, not sure if they are exactly what you need, if not let me know, i can take more.