Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lovson 20-2  (Read 169289 times)

harv_44

• View Profile
Re: Lovson 20-2
« Reply #300 on: May 26, 2007, 02:03:08 AM »
Rob
  On my engine I set No1 piston tdc.I noticed it put the keyway on the very bottom. So I could use it to line it up.Put the cam in and placed the fuel pump lobe at 10o'clock also printed out the picture that was on the cd and took it to the garage with me for reference. ???

So far I've got about 4 hours run time on it but havent had much of a load .

Zeke

You'll have to send those armidillos to George B.
Without all the info on the cd I would have been a lost ball in high weeds. ;D

Harvey

My goal is to be half the man my grandkids think I am.
Lovson 20/2   20KW genhead

wirenutrob

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 26, 2007, 03:00:20 AM »
Harvey -

I did not get a chance to do much work on my engine today. I got the long 3 day weekend to work on it.   I took a measurement, I saw the intake tappet was flat on the valve and the wheel was at 20 deg  BTDC. The cd says to set the engine up like that. I learned that the idler gear sprokets are 20 deg per tooth. Also I am thinking I might just have alot of fuel in the cylinder from all this false starting and not running. I might have to do a little more cranking to clear it outwith the fuel off (you think). Plus I am going to read some more of the cd.  I think I am getting real close. I have high hopes for this weekend.
Rob

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 26, 2007, 09:03:16 AM »
Rob,
You can always clear the cylinders by cranking with the compression released and rack closed.  I'm collection those possums on the half shell.  when I get a bushel, they're off to George.  The winner and stillll champeeen.
Zeke
Changfa type 25hp with 15kw ST head
Lovson 20-2 in blueprinting/rebuild
International TD-15 B  1962 dozer
Changfa 8 hp., 280 A battery charger

wirenutrob

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 28, 2007, 10:36:35 PM »
Harvey  -

What did you gap your valves at? I am on my way,  just need a few more things to get it right.
Rob

harv_44

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 29, 2007, 12:30:19 AM »

Rob
 I set The intake at .017 '' and the exhaust at .032''.

It has just a little rattle but I rather have that than a burnt valve !

Thanks for keeping us updated on your progress. Did you get your fuel line fixed?

Zeke

Are those things roadkill or are they born dead along side the road ???

Harvey
My goal is to be half the man my grandkids think I am.
Lovson 20/2   20KW genhead

wirenutrob

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 31, 2007, 03:39:01 AM »
Evening Harvey -

I must say I was alot dissapointed last night as I cranked on the handle for about 10 min. and the engine did not start... So I have done the next best thing, I took some pic's to show you haw My engine is set up maybe you see something I don't.  http://www.putfile.com/wirenutrob/images/87012
They are inreverse order 3,2,1 ... I made sure I had TDC (used a level) then marked my TDC on the wheel and measured forward and back 2.83in for 20deg TDC marks. Then removed the idler gear and replaced it just like you see it in Photo. Replaced counter weights on crank replaced cover on timing gear and set up the linkage in the off position so it opperates even and correct (on & off). I get about half of use on the injector rack to use. but that should be plentu since I intend to turn it down to 850rpm. With the hand lever down I re purged the high pressure fuel lines to the injectorsfor about 30 seconds of flow... What a mess... OK, now it should run...  Turning the crank I hear that creaking from both injectors..... now faster I go about 8 seconds and drop the #1 compression lever...   puff... puff... out the intake - light smoke... Everytime it is like that. One time I ran the rpms way up almost loosing control of handle and it made no difference... just a few more puffs.  ???
I am so tired of cranking I bought all the pieces for the 12v starter today... My machinest said he would be done in a few days with the machineing of my parts and that is about the time I will be done mounting the starter assembly and related pieces.
Maybe you all can see something I did not... Let me know....   Oh  my gaps are now set at .017 & .036 exhaust.
Rob

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 31, 2007, 05:26:41 AM »
The natural history of the armadillo.
The earliest spanish explorers wondered why dead armadillos were always found along buffalo and deer trails. The name armadillo means, in spanish apache, "dumb dead animal on trail"  It wasnt until Charles Darwin visited texas in 1802 that the natural history of this remarkable beast was understood.  He found that not only do armadillos reproduce asexually, a process known as parthogenesis, but they are all born full size, pregnant, and 99% of them dead.  They are attracted to open areas to give birth because these areas have better air circulation, thus reducing the stench of all those dead newborns.  In 1890 when Sigmund Freud toured the southwestern US  the scientific community was shocked to learn that armadillos actually have a severe genetic super ego-id conflict disorder and actually evolved dead birth to cope with this intractable conflict.

So the next time you see a dead armadillo along the road, you can be sure it's a happy one.
Zeke
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 11:38:18 PM by okiezeke »
Changfa type 25hp with 15kw ST head
Lovson 20-2 in blueprinting/rebuild
International TD-15 B  1962 dozer
Changfa 8 hp., 280 A battery charger

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 31, 2007, 12:57:47 PM »
stay tuned for the story of the Easter Bunny////sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

DaveW

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 31, 2007, 01:27:33 PM »
OkieZeke -
    And they say Texas is noted for tall tales.  I bow in humble admiration to my nothern brothers for leading the way in the art.  I'm not sure where the armadillo story started, but will be re-reading all I can to catch up.  Such a tale demands careful perusal.

Johnm49

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 31, 2007, 04:58:38 PM »
Here’s a thought for you Rob. On your engine do you have 2 heads that are identical, or do you have a right hand head and a left hand head? My 12/2 Metro was assembled with 2 heads the same, this means that one side is using the intake port for the exhaust and one exhaust as an intake. The cam is set up different than a normal 2 cylinder engine. This means that the set up will not match the standard set up. I have not done a tare down on it yet but...............
I sounds like you have the timing process down, this may be another variable that is throwing things off. Just a thought
Greg

wirenutrob

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 31, 2007, 05:55:15 PM »
Greg -

I must say I have not thought about that. How do you tell the difference between the two. Also how does that change things ie...what things happen to let you know you have two identical cyl heads. I tried at one point just using the right cyl. I shut the fuel off on the left to see how it reacted and the same in reverse. Nothing new happened.
You are right about the timing. I have tried five different methoids and as I marked the cam gear for each setup I noticed that as I moved forward with the different timing procedures I saw the old marks showing up again. This means only one thing, you can set the timing a number of different ways given the right information.  I think this 10'oclock methoid is byfar the fastest and has the fewest places for error. I think using a level inside on the crank removes all doubt that TDC has been achieved. It only took a dozen times to figuer this all out. Oddly enough I had marked the cam gear before I removed it for serviceing and those marks show up only one tooth off now. I now know its not the timing.
At this point I will look at the heads for some signs of being different or the same. I have removed all the linkage and operate the fuel pumps manually until I get things rolling again. This takes out some of the errors that might occur in starting. I know the compression is good on both cylinders. I have forgotton to open the compression valve while trying to start the engine and I reach that compression point and I can not go past it with out opening that valve. That feels good to put that issue behind me and move on the the next. Thanks for your idea.
Rob

Johnm49

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 01, 2007, 12:40:39 PM »
This weekend I'll figure out how to post some photos with the link. Seeing the photos is easer than trying to peck the detals out.
I'm much handyer with a wrench or a set of linesmens that this keyboard.

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 01, 2007, 03:28:58 PM »
Hi, thought I'd throw in my 2 cents without re-reading this whole thread so at the risk of being redundent, here goes.  The most interesting thing to me is exaust out the intake!  Either the valves don't seal or your turning the motor the wrong direction?  Have you watched closely to see if the valve, piston and injection events happen in the proper sequence?  A diesel motor only needs 3 things to run--- compression, fuel and timing, what is not there?  Is there some reason your rack can't open all the way?  It can take extra fuel to start a cold engine, I would try heating the injectors or/and filling the cooling jacket with hot water.  Good luck!       Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

wirenutrob

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 02, 2007, 04:40:47 AM »
Hi Leland -

Thanks for your thoughts,  The thought of the engine going the wrong way made me laugh. I am using the hand crank and it only goes one direction.... I hope it is in the right direction ;D.  I get good compression I sometimes forget to ste the compression valve and my hand cranking comes to a sharp halt, so I know I am getting a good seal there.  I never removed any of the tappets  other than the #2 fuel tappet so I could get the cam out and inspect it. I got a photo of the cam tappet so I know I got it reinstalled correctly. I admit I had not thought about heating the fuel. Speaking of fuel when you start your engine is your rack wide open?? Mine is about little over half way open to start. Do I have a problem here what should my adjustment be??
Rob

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 02, 2007, 11:55:43 AM »
Rob,
  Re: thoughts by M61hops - the pawl in the starting handle is reversible, presumably so you can start the engine from the other side.
                          Bill
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw