Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lovson 20-2  (Read 169346 times)

okiezeke

• View Profile
Re: Lovson 20-2
« Reply #375 on: November 12, 2007, 08:18:11 AM »
I'll check with my local muffler shop.  Should be able to bend, but have noticed that bent muffler pipe is also flattened.  May also restrict flow some.

Not sure why exhaust manifolds are separate, while intakes are joined into 1.  Would think a similar amount of flow in as out.
I'll watch and evaluate when I get it running.

I can see how filling tubing with concrete would certainly reduce flexing.  Dont know what I'd use to pick the thing up to set it on its permanent concrete pad.  Probably weigh over 2000-2500 lbs.  Guess I could buy a second engine lift.

Zeke
Changfa type 25hp with 15kw ST head
Lovson 20-2 in blueprinting/rebuild
International TD-15 B  1962 dozer
Changfa 8 hp., 280 A battery charger

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 12, 2007, 04:20:11 PM »
okiezeke wrote:Not sure why exhaust manifolds are separate, while intakes are joined into 1

Simple really.  You can only do one side because any small size tolerance can be taken up on one side but something will break if you try to install inlet and exhaust 'cos the other side will magnify the difference.  Must have some flexibility on one side.  Remember the inlet must be bolted up in place before the head is tightened down or something will likely crack.  Also expansion of exhaust side would not be the easiest to cope with, having two separated cylinders being pushed apart and pulled together as hot and cold cycles alternate.
Regards, RAB

wirenutrob

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 03, 2011, 07:22:30 PM »
Hey, I have been away for a while and trying to start up conversations again concerning my dead lovson 20-2
I crakked my cyclinders in a late freeze. my coolant was not strong enough to stop the damage. I was shocked.
Anyway, Zeke been a whole since we chatted. Drop me a note some sometime.

Fudgie

• View Profile
Listeroid Engines
« Reply #378 on: March 14, 2011, 11:18:31 PM »
 Hello All
       I have a new 6/1 metro with an electric start package, have had it running about a dozen times in one or so minute clips.
       Problem is it has real bad vibration, showing all the signs of being out of balance. So far I have been playing with attaching and moving weights, first on one wheel and then on both, to no avail.
       Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was the fix, and the long term end result. Any help with this matter will be greatly apricated.
Thank You
Fudgie         

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 15, 2011, 03:26:01 AM »
fudgie

How much weight? These roids can take quite a bit of weight to calm down.

Read all you can of the old posts on balance. Trial and error will work to a fashion but it can tax a persons patience.

I found on my 10/1 the balance weight bolted to the crankshaft inside the engine were way to light. and I added weight to the flywheel rim in line with the internal weights. Took about a pound on each wheel rim. Be CAREFUL.

Billswan
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

bschwartz

• View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 15, 2011, 03:36:43 AM »
My 6/1 flywheels were SO out of balance when cast!!!!!  I had a difficult time with jumping.  I (after over a year of suffering) removed the flywheels to find out that the heaviest part of the wheel was NOT the section with the extra weight.  I discovered this by putting the wheel on the ground, and it rolled with the weight at 4:00 (instead of the expected 6:00) position!!!!!  I couldn't believe my eyes.

I ended up using a grinding wheel and slowly removing weight from the extra crud on the spokes and inside of the rim till the flywheel rolled itself to the correct position with the cast weight down.

I am sure my engine isn't balanced, because I have no idea how much extra weight there is on the flywheel vs. piston weight, but it is MUCH smoother now.
-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?

Tijean

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 15, 2011, 04:10:16 PM »
My engine is supposed to be counterweighted opposite the throws to correct for piston and rod weight and the flywheels then are supposedly each a balanced disc. It did a fair bit of rock and roll so I tried some weights in line with and also opposite crank throw but that did not seem to be obvious cure.

I took the flywheels off and machined a pair of plates to fit the bore and hold a 3/4 inch shaft for a pair of pillow block ball bearings so it could freely rotate. Obviously they were not balanced though someone had drilled a bunch of holes in the sides of the rims. Hither thither and yon; there seemed no their logic to the location of the holes unless it was a Ouiga board! I split the weights so half was outside and half inside.  Probably about 4 0z. on each wheel to get static balance and that ran acceptably.

The unbalance factor was near 180 deg off from the opposite side so it gave a rocking motion which is deceiving. I could go back now and try adding some weight in line with the crank throw to vary the bias toward vertical or horizontal but the engine is bolted to 5 tons(  ;) ) of concrete so that clouds the issue of detecting precise balance anyways. It can be frustrating if you have no way of getting even approximate location or amount of weight needed or even which side needs it. Uneven balance side to side is not so easy to diagnose and tame.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 04:13:31 PM by Tijean »
Frank

10/1 Jkson, ST5 gen. head

Fudgie

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 24, 2011, 12:47:09 AM »
Hi Billswan
    Thanks for the input. I have tried attaching weights to the spokes, so far to no avail.  However,  just bought a box of oil based clay and borrowed an ounce scale from a friend, so thats the dirrection that I'll be heading in the next few days.
Thanks again
Fudgie