Author Topic: 12/2 Ash -- Extended down time start up procedure  (Read 4706 times)

pigseye

• View Profile
12/2 Ash -- Extended down time start up procedure
« on: March 20, 2011, 11:16:26 PM »
Hello All,
I have a 12/2 Ash that has not been run in over 2 years.  What prep is required before starting it again?

FYI, although I've been a forum member for a while, I'm still a Listeroid newbie and fairly specific instruction is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Pigseye

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: 12/2 Ash -- Extended down time start up procedure
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 03:34:51 AM »
A correct and complete answer will depend totally on your specific engine, its condition and status when put into storage. If all is in good condition, you should be able to change the lube oil, purge the fuel system with fresh fuel, flush cooling system and go. I have seen units with heavy carbon have problems after sitting and drying out for an extended time though, worst case may require a decarbon job - remove head and cylinder and thoroughly clean out all carbon deposits in combustion and port areas as well as ring lands. If your engine rolls over easily by hand without any binding or tight spots and also makes good compression, then everything is probably allright for a startup. After initial startup you will have to check it very carefully for leaks or any signs of oil contamination especially in the form of coolant.  I'm sure others will also have some thoughtful input for you.

Best of luck with your project!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
open the front hatch, and squirt some oil into the con rod bearing, and pull the deck plug by the (I think it's the decompress lever) and dribble oil into that bearing below the hole.
check the prime for fuel

BigGreen

• View Profile
    • Mach1Pony
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 10:55:06 AM »
Looking at the side with the intake/exhaust/push rods it's the far left plug on the crankcase deck left of the left decompress. I have to wrench it by placing wrench behind the left fuel pump but your 12/2 may be different. Also pull the plugs on the main bearings (located behind flywheels) if you have sleeve bearings and dribble a little oil in them. I also sqirt oil on my gear train and tappetts while I have the hatch open. If you have TRB squirt them while there. Oil in the valve wells on top of the head as well.

Dave
Dave
More Power Ashwamegh 25/2 15kw

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 12:45:57 PM »
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

pigseye

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 04:36:42 AM »
You guys are great!  Thanks so much for the advice.

Pigseye