Author Topic: Finding and Sizing the Right Serpentine Belt  (Read 18066 times)

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Finding and Sizing the Right Serpentine Belt
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 06:25:14 AM »
Scott:

i had a great visit with you today, i only wish i could have stayed on a bit longer (work :( )

for the rest of you

Scott's setup runs really sweet, i was quite impressed with his setup and skills in building his genset
nice electric start using chevy flexplate and starter, very solid
his cooling system is top  notch, and his exhaust calms the beast to a level that is pleasant to be around and talk over the note.
he has very little resilient mounting, and the result is a stable machine that does not transmit anything objectionable to the concrete garage floor.

Scott shared his pictures of all the dirt and grit he encountered, and all his teardown and rework to date, quite impressive accomplishment!

as some of you know Scott has an ashwemeh (i gotta learn how to spell that) 25/2 serial 27, mine is also the same engine serial 37 i think.
i had never heard or seen a big twin run so i found it both interesting and quite exciting to see one all hooked up and able to do the job.

i found the trip to be well worth the time, and found Scott to be very knowlegable and easy to talk to, anyone that is in the area should take some time
and go check him and his machine out.

i look forward to going back and spending a bit more time with Scott

thanks again for sharing your time with me, :)
i was impressed!

bob g

ps, yes i am critical of fram filters, but with Scotts setup i am sure they are more than adequate, i cannot see him running his engine anywhere near over the limit of anyfilter :)
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Stan

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 09:32:56 PM »
Bob, I too am critical of Fram filters but when I sourced an english filter Crossland 457 (under Peter's recommendation) , and was given the fram number C11860PL I opened up the box and found this!
Obviously Fram outsources!
Stan

GeckoPower

• If it's not broken fix it anyway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 01:09:18 AM »
Could a Franz TP Oil Filter do an adequate job of cleaning oil on a 6/1 plumbed in line with the factory oil pump ( one squirt at a time) on the discharge side?  Also how many more hours if any, could you get out of an oil change with filtered oil?  The tag on my engine states oil changes every 250 hours with no filter. What say you?
Off grid since Sept 1 2005,  1 online GTC 6/1, 5k head;  1 wore out 5 hp 2.6kw Honda (but still starts 1 st pull and will put in a 12 hour day;  1 wore out Honda 1kw when I got it, then I wore it out some more; 2004 Duramax Chev 1 ton; 35 hp New Holland Compact Tractor

Stan

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 04:23:39 AM »
My understanding (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that the 250 hr spec was made when all oil was non-detergent, meaning the oil would allow dirt and contaminants to settle out in the sump.  If using detergent oil,(which keeps dirt in suspension hopeful of a meaningful filter to trap it,) without a filter,  you're looking for trouble because the dirt will just keep going round and round and round through the bearings etc.
Stan

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 05:43:19 AM »
Stan:

i guess i should have put in a "qualifier" when i berated Fram

fram and a few other manufactures do outsource some of their filters to fill out their offerings
and usually the price is lower than from the company that made it, a loss leader?

an example was the metal box fuel filter common to the 5.7 diesels, stanadyne was the only manufacture of that filter, but everyone sold it in their box with
their part number on it,, Fram sold it for about 25% of what stanadyne got for it.

so for air filters, these repackaged filters, and a few other cartridge filters, fram is ok by me.
fram is also ok with me for those that do regular oil changes, and don't forget or procrastinate.

bob g

Stan

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2007, 05:51:03 AM »
You've got that right Bob, I can't believe they tried to convince me to wait for 8000km (5000mi) to change the oil in my 2005 Toyota Corolla.  Up here where we get minus 30C (-22F) winters ???  They're nuts or else they want to sell me a new one every 3 yrs (motor warrantee).  I change it every 3000km religeously, more often if on long trips in high heat or low temps.
Stan
(by religeously I mean while praying to the mashed knuckle god.)

snail

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2007, 06:08:40 AM »
Stan,
My understanding (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that the 250 hr spec was made when all oil was non-detergent, meaning the oil would allow dirt and contaminants to settle out in the sump.
That would only apply if you haven't got an oil pump. The twins (indian and limey) pick up from a recess at the lowest part of the sump.The lumpy bits therefore get circulated preferentially ! The singles aren't so bad, the pickup is a little way off the floor.
Mr Lister specified detergent oil for tropical use (Dunno why.Any suggestions? ???) and 500hr oil changes.What would I do? Fit any sort of filter and keep changing that oil! Surely it has to be better than either the Dursley or Indian specs.

cheers,

Brian

Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2007, 12:04:17 AM »
Update on the Serpintine belt sizing.....

I ended up with a 95 3/4" belt (outside measurement). NAPA part number 25-0808952 "Micro-V" My calculations were off about 1 3/4" With a 22.5" gap between the crankshaft and the gen head shaft. It left just enough room to drain the oil. I am still analyzing this to see if I have enough room to use the same belt for the smaller 8.5" section on the gen head pulley.  The belt difference in length will be about 2.5" longer. I have about 3" of belt adjustment room.  Don't ask me what the belt costs.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2007, 01:26:13 AM »
awe comeon,, tell us Dave!

how much did napa get you for it?

bob g

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2007, 02:44:41 AM »
Dave---  Napa calls that a 95.2" pitch diameter.  The last three numbers say that.

Mine comes from Napa with much the same number.... it's the cheapest they have... $10.99
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2007, 03:10:30 AM »
Dave---  Napa calls that a 95.2" pitch diameter.  The last three numbers say that.

Mine comes from Napa with much the same number.... it's the cheapest they have... $10.99
Hotator,

That must be a 6 rib.....an 8 rib is much more!!!! I'm still hurting!

Dave
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 03:12:23 AM by xyzer »
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2007, 03:16:04 AM »
My six rib lasted 7250 hours and wasn't hurt....so, that's about 22 bucks for a belt and a spare and jus one of 'em has lasted two years... I can't find the economy in paying more!   ;)
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2007, 06:17:57 AM »
Hotator,
My Vidhata has a 6 rib gen pulley and the new PS the new pulley is 8 rib and has a extented rim to help keep the belt from crawling off due to misalignment :). Does the 8 rib have the same pitch as the 6?. I suppose I could have used a 6.....alot cheaper!
Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2007, 06:42:39 AM »
I aqree that the 6 rib is much, much cheaper. The pulley I got for the ST head is an 8 rib. I tried to make the one belt work with both pulley sizes. I will have to modify the angle iron end plate that holds the threaded rod in place to make it work.

Rick Rowlands

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2007, 05:55:17 PM »
I have a new 98" 6 rib belt that I bought for my 1994 F150 but never put it on.  I'll just build my genset for this belt.  That size is cheap because there are millions of F150s out there.