Author Topic: Arrow Engines is selling Petter type engines!  (Read 11771 times)

listeroidsusa

Arrow Engines is selling Petter type engines!
« on: December 07, 2006, 03:42:50 AM »
Check out www.arrowengines.com. Have a look at their new "K" series engine. It is a Petter type engine modified to run on natural gas! Apparently they are getting some good ones! Natural gas is also probably easier to EPA certify.

Mike Montieth

Doug

Re: Arrow Engines is selling Petter type engines!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 12:10:45 AM »
That is interesting, I want to see the specifications on that...

Peter what is the availability of OEM parts for the P series in England? Here in Canada the lister/petter dealer gives me dumb looks.

I wonder if it could be as simple as a piston, head and injection to turn these diesel again?

Doug
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 12:26:28 AM by Doug »

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 03:12:32 AM »
 steady Doug  ;D
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw

listerdiesel

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 08:18:02 AM »
That is interesting, I want to see the specifications on that...

Peter what is the availability of OEM parts for the P series in England? Here in Canada the lister/petter dealer gives me dumb looks.

I wonder if it could be as simple as a piston, head and injection to turn these diesel again?

Doug

There is no such thing as 'OEM' parts in the UK, other than car/auto stuff. The stationary engine market is much too small for anyone to make stuff like heads etc for this market.

Injection pumps and injectors are still around, but I'd be inclined to see what they have done to convert to gas operation before looking at a diesel conversion.

If the pump drive and injector hole are still on the engine, then it would be a comparatively easy job, but if that new head is purely for gas operation then I'd be looking elsewhere for an engine if I were you.

It does look 'Petter-ish'

Peter

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 08:42:21 AM »
Here in Canada the lister/petter dealer gives me dumb looks.

Doug

At least that is their best effort and they aren`t charging you for it.  They wanted $175 for rings for my single piston P engine and abiout $400 for an injector.  Yeah right.  They need to find cheaper recreational drugs. ;D
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Doug

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 07:56:07 PM »
Thats good Dope....
Doug

fattywagonman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 03:08:44 PM »
I clicked on the performance specs for the K engine and see that they give and RPM range of 400-800 RPM I run my petters at 1000 but the Indians recommend running them at 1500 for 50Hz and 1800 for 60Hz... IMO if you want your Petteroid to last 1200 RPM is tops. I see Arrow  also uses TRB... I have been going to install a bypass filter in the the external oil line and also run a tube up to the rocker box.... Has anyone done this yet?

Doug

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 12:55:05 AM »
You could do this Fattywagonman....

I havent seen how the piston pump oilers work, but the gear type has 3 galleries off the pump.
1 feeds the front main and rod, second feeds the cam, third goes up and over to the cross drilled chanel to feed the rocker box by external line and at the back end of the engine rear main

I suspect you could drill and plug the cam lube gallery and rout thios to an external filter and split this back to feed the cam and rocker box.

Or you could just use the factory internal bypass fuilter assembly fed from the rear main oil gallery ( If you don't this casting I have one I may end up scrapping, problem being I couldn't find a filter on the shelf for it and never realy persued it )

Doug

Doug

fattywagonman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 04:27:15 AM »
Hi Doug,
I'm assuming Arrow uses the piston pump since I don't think anything else works with TRB. The piston pump has an outlet that comes off the pivot to out the cam...  I would just T into the oil line that goes to the Cam to lube the rocker assy... 

Doug

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 12:01:24 AM »
Never looked that closely at one....

Could you posts some pictures of the TRB piston oiler and I''l do the same for the bushed gear type so we can look thme over a little more closely.

I'm going to take another run at the gear oiled bush type, perhaps with a second engine. I'm considering replacing the rear main bearing with a large 62 series ball bearing.

I'd like to modfiy the oiling system to full flow, this would solve a lot of problems with crap cirulating threw the engine

Doug

fattywagonman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 02:40:13 PM »
I called Arrow the other day and spoke to Doug the sales guy...I was surprised to find that they sell the K engine for over $5K ... they won't sell the parts to convert the petter to SI ether... and he said they made some other modifications but wouldn't elaborate..  I did convert a Mini Petteroid to SI by tapping the hear for a spark plug and doubling the head gasket... I used an Imco carb and made a timer and used a model T ford coil..I think electronic ignition is the way to go for reliability...  I just picked up an electronic ignition set up and plan to convert one of my petteroids .... if it works well I may offer a conversion kit for the Lister and Petter.. I'm working on some gasifier stuff and SI would be better for intown CHP sysyems since natural gas could be used as fuel. 

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 03:31:07 PM »
if you use the model t ford buzz coil/ it sometimes can be a little trouble to work with... I still use them but I also use a different set up made out of a car coil,a relay and a capacitor that gives me the same buzz and is easier to use and repair//they are easy to make. lsid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

fattywagonman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2007, 03:11:28 AM »
Hi Sid,
I'm shooting for really high reliability so I want the ignition system to be entirely electronic... Good call on the relay /coil set up  though...

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2007, 04:30:57 AM »
I guss most people are trying to understand why were are using a 100 year buzz coil from  a model T// may be we can get then to touch one end of it///it sure is fun using a buzz coil on an engine,, if placed just rite, you can make a lot of people jump off a trailer in a hurry//on a slow afternoon put one in a metal pan and put some squirrel food in the pan///wait for the squirrel to touch the pan and then turn it on// about 4 feet in the air is about average/sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2007, 05:46:34 AM »
on a slow afternoon put one in a metal pan and put some squirrel food in the pan///wait for the squirrel to touch the pan and then turn it on// about 4 feet in the air is about average/sid

Sid,

You are one sick puppy.  I hear stun guns are fun to use on people like you.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion