Puppeteer

Author Topic: Safety Modifications  (Read 36812 times)

Doug

Re: Safety Modifications
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2007, 06:48:32 PM »
Guy Incognito:

I don't know what model the truck is but its 50 ton. It looks pretty and the rear jump seat is nice for training. The exhaust sticks out the side and blows up wicked clouds of dust on the ramp, so much so it causes the Kiruna trouble by cloggin the cooling air filters for the electric traction motors.

I don't think its going to last myself. Its a lot lighter built than the old 40 ton Wagners. It rifles threw the gears and hops around trying to find a match for the ramp as it climbs and generaly seems a tad too sophiticated.
Its also the tallest, slowest and possibly the loudest truck I've ever seen in our kind of mines...

Rides nice...
Cute pictures of rue on it.....

Doug

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2007, 07:02:12 PM »
A different perspective to consider-- re:  auto sprinklers--

This facility has an automatic sprinkler system installed but never activated...what's the use?   Anytime an inmate wanted to cause a stir, just break a sensor.   By the time the water and alarms and automatic sattelite fire call was handled it would have cost a week of lost school for the little varmints and untold damage.

The fire danger around here is from the outside!  The last big range fire passed four miles north of here in 1977 and killed over 3,000 cattle and the same number of sheep.  Two cowboys escaped over the canyon rim but their horses were lost.

There's not much I can do but leave the old wool blanket hanging off the concrete dam and if the fire jumps the canyon rim take refuge in the creek, in a concrete cubby hole, with the wet blanket over the top.   Me and three dogs.    ;D

7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Guy_Incognito

• Just a guy, incognito.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2007, 10:50:07 PM »
This is the suppression system that I'm looking at.

http://www.sdscorp.com.au/gen.html

It's hard to describe, so I'll let a picture or two say the rest:

http://www.sdscorp.com.au/gall.html

(added edit:)
The advantage in your kind of case hotater is that it's small and localised to a particular piece of equipment - when it goes off on a bit of gear at work, it's about 60 litres of water turned into foam, which is not a great deal of mess to clean up - if you've a concrete block mount, just build a small bund wall on that if you're worried about water everywhere. Their run time is about 90 seconds from memory, so if you can't put an engine fire out with 90 seconds of foam over it... you're not going to put it out any time soon.  ;)

My set will be underneath our pole house, not in a basement as such, but on the slope. Seeing as there's a wooden floor above it and the house is ,well, wooden, fire suppression would be a good thing to have.

(Doug: The AD55's we have here are possibly the noisiest thing I have ever encountered. They get a real resonant note that vibrates right though you.)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 10:54:01 PM by Guy_Incognito »

Doug

« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2007, 10:56:08 PM »
Edwards makes alot of parts that could be of use for this. We have what I think the IMs call fuse on the hydrualic power packs. Basicaly a melting by metal trigger that releases tension on cable to fire a C02 or water sprinkler system. Reliable and simple....

Must be the same truck Guy ( the noise makes the inside of your head itchy, and the heat I forgot to metion I can feel that thing coming at me before I hear it )). I'll snap a picture of it for you and send it in. I still want to see that Incedent condition report you were talking about....

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2007, 06:17:52 PM »
 I've got a real simple and effective (and cheap) manual engine kill that I just tested on the in house set. The intake is plumbed to the outdoors with 2" pvc. There is a directional 'T' installed just above engine intake with a cleanout installed in the leg that bisects the other one. The cleanout cap is fitted with a spring loaded plunger which pushes a hard rubber ball (super ball) into the intake stream when a retaining rod is pulled. The rod is attached to light aircraft cable which is routed to a safe part of the basement. The ball, being larger than the intake port, blocks the port and stalls the engine. Hope the kid doesn't ask about his ball ::)

Bill
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw