Author Topic: Buy direct,or through importer?  (Read 4243 times)

Beewrangler

• View Profile
Buy direct,or through importer?
« on: January 13, 2006, 06:53:33 PM »
 I was wondering if anyone has some advice on buying procedures. More so, should a perso go through an importer or buy directly from manufacture. There seems a large price difference, Thanks

rpg52

• View Profile
Re: Buy direct,or through importer?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 07:12:23 PM »
You need to read about Rocketboy's experiences importing one of these engines before you consider doing it your self.  See:  http://www.f1-rocketboy.com/lister.html
Ray
PS Listeroid 6/1, 5 kW ST, Detroit Diesel 3-71, Belsaw sawmill, 12 kW ST head, '71 GMC 3/4 T, '79 GMC 1T, '59 IH T-340

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 07:19:54 PM »
I imported the engines myself. What a PITA. It took nearly a year to go from start to finish. Yes, some of it was my fault, I was learning. Dealing with the outrageous port charges, handling charges, pallet charges, loading charges, customs intensive exam charges, duty on spare parts and finding the duty "codes" and a whole host of other expenses make the deal less sweet. It only makes sense if one were to import an entire container.

Also, I had a few minor problems with the quality of parts. I am now waiting for those replacement parts to show up. Somehow (my fault) an intake manifold got broken. I wonder how long I will have to wait.

Some folks charge excessive prices on the engines they sell. Even those have issues, like sand, non rotating tappets, rust, dirty gritty oil and shipping damage. Paying too much does not insure quality.

My current opinion is that these engines are "kits". Some work needs to be done to bring them up to quality standards. How much more work a cheap Ebay engine needs is anyones guess. It may simply be a matter of a few helicoils, a cleanup and a few new parts.

Chris
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 07:22:07 PM by cujet »
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

kyradawg

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 02:24:25 AM »
 Peace&Love, Darren
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 07:16:17 PM by kyradawg »

Doug

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 03:20:32 AM »
I've also asked Mr Patel from Anand Powerline to post here and answere questions because I too am interested in dealing direct.

He is reading this forum....

Doug

GerryH

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 04:02:46 PM »
   I bought my engine from George @utterpower for $195 more than I could have bought it from PowerAnand. I consider this the bargain of the year. Cuget suffered thru alot of bullshit for a whole year for $195. And, if I have a problem, you know who I'm gonna call.
   BTW, I consider Patul Anand a good choice if you want to go direct.

Gerry