Puppeteer

Author Topic: Oil Sight Plug  (Read 7449 times)

BruceM

• View Profile
Oil Sight Plug
« on: January 13, 2006, 04:53:21 PM »
I noticed today that oil sight plugs are very cheap.  $7 at Grainger for a 3/4" sight plug.

It seems like that could be a handy way to keep an eye on sump oil level.  Boring and tapping the crankcase shouldn't be too much of a chore.

Any thoghts?

Bruce

quinnf

Re: Oil Sight Plug
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 05:12:12 PM »
It should work while the engine is at rest, but for sure won't when the engine's running.  Another problem is that as the oil darkens, seeing the level of black oil against the blackness of the inside of the crankcase will take good eyes and a flashlight.

Quinn

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 05:17:04 PM »
The oil sights have a reflector so you see a thin layer of oil over a piece of tin. 

kpgv

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 05:20:37 PM »
Hi Bruce,
Those sound like a good idea to me too. I just can't figure out how to establish exactly how to locate it...
The "static" dipstick level and the "turbulent" running level must be different, and even different at different places in the crankcase.
To me though, having a way to keep an eye on the oil level without shutting down is worth the trouble.

Kevin

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 05:54:49 PM »
Quinn, thanks, you're right. Forgot about that as I was not thinking about running oil level

Kevin,
The straight through sight would be worthless with the engine running, but maybe if it had an "anti slosh" cap in the inside (opening covered but a small hole top and bottom) it might still work.

3" nylon sight tubes are about $18.  They have a 1/2" NPT fitting top and bottom.  They might do better for running oil level.

A variant of that is something homebuilt like the Murphy L100 oil level switch gauge;  it's a small externally mounted box with glass/lexan face plumbed top and bottom to the sump.  There's has a float with contact in it.  It should work find running or not. 

I've got a neat little polypropylene float/swith unit from Grainger for $13.  I'm thinking about how to best use it, and whether to use a sight plug for visual oil level inspection or make something like the Murphy unit.  The little float switch is so small that that the unit would fit into a 1 1/2" pipe with the float about in the middle of the pipe.  Its only 1/2" in diameter.

Best Wishes,
Bruce

« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 06:08:34 PM by BruceM »

Thomas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 06:02:08 PM »
I have never found a way to make a sight glass work on a runing engine. I have used them on engines hdro tanksand watr tanks and any surg at all stops there use thay just about have to be shut down.    Thomas :(

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 06:10:47 PM »
Thomas-  What happens to the oil level view on a sight tube unit when the engine is running?
Does the whole tube film over??? 
Bruce

kyradawg

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 06:56:35 PM »
Peace&Love, Darren
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 07:54:00 PM by kyradawg »

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 07:58:37 PM »
Darren,
I think I know what you meant; Thomas was refering to sight glass plugs, not sight tubes.
I'll do some sort of tube arrangement, I think.

Bruce

kyradawg

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 08:48:39 PM »
Bruce just connect your old toke master to the base of the lister bada boom bada binger! ::)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 10:27:00 PM by kyradawg »

quinnf

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 09:25:40 PM »
Bruce,

Here's a sight tube:

and here's a sight glass:

Both are available from McMaster.com

I'm afraid I'm with Thomas on this one.  I can't see that it could possibly work while the engine is running because of the violence of the pressure pulses.

Quinn

Thomas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2006, 09:54:19 PM »
There are two kinds I have used the ones that just have one point were it conects and the onen that have a tub top and bottom. We tred both kinds and the round holes with glass over them for high and low oil the uniets had to be shut down for them to work. We were using them on Hydrolic Elevators (25+ years) we used them om the traction machines (cable) .  Thomas

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2006, 03:10:39 AM »
The sight tube in the post above is almost the right one.... It needs a return line from the top of the glass to the crankcase, above the oil level, in a non turbulent area. Perhaps that bolt hole over the left cam bushing we talk about so much. It has to be vented back to the crank case in a way that oil will not enter the upper tube. The lower connection should enter the crankcase below the lowest allowable oil level, in a non turbulent area, or at least with the tube entering the oil at 90 degrees from the known oil flow in the sump. Perhaps directly below a main bearing?
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 05:11:46 AM »
Rodger on the crankcase connection, Shipchief.  I may try to shield the upper vent connection from spraying/splashing oil, and maybe I'll get a readable tube sight when running. 

No work on the oil level setup today, had to pull the growling bearings out of the ST generator.  I'm waiting for inspiration to strike, also. 

Bruce

al riley

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2006, 01:31:09 AM »
the old m tractor grandpop had two petcocks in the pan a high one and a low one. as long as oil came out of the low one when running it had enough  you used the high one when the engine was off