Author Topic: Selling Listeroid made electricity back to the power grid?!  (Read 72225 times)

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
Re: Selling Listeroid made electricity back to the power grid?!
« Reply #120 on: December 19, 2006, 08:44:13 PM »
...no, on second thought, I'm going to keep my mouth shut.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 08:46:47 PM by Quinnf »
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2006, 02:32:47 AM »
Hello FlyDr,

One other thing to consider if you are going to $0 your utility bill is changing to a TOU (Time Of Use) rate. That way you can run your generator during peak hours and receive up to 3 x $ per KWH. This would also make running and attending to your generator a day time thing instead of a middle of the night thing.

Good luck!
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Flydoctor

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 20, 2006, 02:59:09 PM »
TIME OF USE THING!

Thats what I am after....but please explain how it makes more power during a peak usage time?  I understand that as I work from home, I can monitor it, and yes only want to run a minimal amount of time. this the bigger gen set.  But I don;t get how during oeak times I would make more power??

Sorry to be ignorant, but I am very new.  I get things done, thats my job, but this is new.

bobkrack

« Reply #123 on: December 20, 2006, 03:50:13 PM »
TIME OF USE THING!

Thats what I am after....but please explain how it makes more power during a peak usage time?  I understand that as I work from home, I can monitor it, and yes only want to run a minimal amount of time. this the bigger gen set.  But I don;t get how during oeak times I would make more power??

Sorry to be ignorant, but I am very new.  I get things done, thats my job, but this is new.
Todd,
I believe he is refering to a "time of useage" meter.  Here in California, Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) charges from .09 to .34 /kwh depending on your total monthly usage.
With a TOE meter, the rate is .32 from 12PM through 6PM and .09 for all others.  I failed to investigate all other aspects of the plan but you need to inquire of your electricity provider for details in your area.  The concept is terrific if you have the discipline to monitor your usage and in your question, back feed primarily during peak times.
You will not be getting more power, just more savings by selling during peak times.

Bob

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 20, 2006, 10:23:53 PM »
Pretty close Bob,

A TOU meter has a clock in it and will charge you different rates for a KW depending what time of day it was used (Some rates are seasonal too). Now if you are selling electricity back to the grid the same meter will run backwards and PAY you the rate in effect at the time of generation. So using Bob's numbers if the TOU rate you are on is .34 per KW from noon to 6 pm and .09 the rest of the time you will be paid .34 for the electricity you generate from noon to 6 pm. So that is when you run your generator. Then you do your laundry and other high use activities after 6 pm until noon the next day. I believe the industry jargon for this process is called peak shaving.

These TOU meters are approved in CA for net metering solar installations.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.