How to / DIY > Engines

manual or info needed

(1/1)

young:
 Hi, I am a newby to any web forums but I do love any sort of engines. I found a Lister on a job I did a week ago, looked to be all there so I changed the oil  hooked up some fuel, a batt. and threw what I thought was the de-comression leverhit the starter and poof, there blew the bellows of sweet smoke.The smoke cleared out after only a 30 seconds and it purred great.It has a 4000 watt winco generator that still works and have been using it to power my house since the wind storm three days ago in Washington. Can anyone give me a valve clearance or any info for that matter, the engine is a  b.s 649 type ST1 serial # 9540st1a31-15. I would really be greatfull? Thanks 

dieselgman:
I have all the manuals, parts, and expertise/details for your ST1. Let me know what you need in particular and I will be glad to help you out.

Best Regards,

Gary
diesel-electric.us
gsj@gci.net

Joe:
I hate to throw this thread off topic...but I ran across an ST1 complete with water pump mounted to a trailer in a recycling yard  last week.  It looked to be complete (I have pictures)  Its located in Central New Jersey
I have no commercial interest ...yada yada....if anyone is interested I can provide more detail...except price cause I could not get that out of the guy...

I'll post this in the Lister Market Area too.

Joe

DaveW:
   ST valve adjustment.

Valve clearance both inlet and exhaust is 0.152mm. (0.006 in.) GO, 0.203mm. (0.008 in.) NOT GO.  This is set
  with the engine cold.

To adjust, remove the cylinder head cover and turn the piston to the T. D. C. position firing stroke, (both valves closed.)
  Slacken the locknut on the adjusting screw and turn the screw until the correct clearance has been obtained.  Tighten
  the locknut whilst restraining the adjusting screw. and re-check to ensure that the clearance is correct.

A word of caution - after adjusting the valves it might be wise to check for decompressor adjustment.

ST decompressor adjustment.

For engines provided with an oil filter hole in each cylinder head cover, access to the decompressors is through these holes.

Turn the piston to T. D. C., firing stroke.

Move the decompressor lever over towards the flywheel.

Slacken the locknut and turn the decompressor screw down until the exhaust valve touches the piston.

Turn the screw back 1/2 turn and tighten the locknut.

When no filler is provided in the cylinder head cover the decompressor should be adjusted so that when the cover is
  tightened down in position, the adjusting screw just touches the valve rocker when operated.  The adjusting screw should
  then be screwed down 3/4 turn and locked in position.

This information is from the Lister book 1705 for ST and STMA diesel engines, operators handbook.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version