Author Topic: GTC 10/1 Installation Pics  (Read 4652 times)

haganes

• captain
    • View Profile
    • Haganes Cruises of Southeast Asia
GTC 10/1 Installation Pics
« on: December 17, 2006, 02:39:32 AM »
A few days ago I commission a new GTC 10/1 genset.  I created a webpage to share my thought process on deciding what to buy, and how to install it.  I will be running this genset 24/7 and will continue to publish the maintenance and repair history on the internet.

also for those interested i have put the manuals for the engine, generator, and the original lister manual.

http://haganescruises.com/listeroldstyle.htm

captain steven
B & W Alpha 404 (280 hp @ 350 rpm)
Mercedes D231 (100 hp)
Lister TS2
Lister TR1
GTC 10/1 Listeroid

rmchambers

• View Profile
Re: GTC 10/1 Installation Pics
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 04:00:59 AM »
Captain Steven,
  A very interesting web page and your lifestyle sounds like a very different one from the rest of us.  I hope you keep us informed as to how you and the new Listeroid make out as you sail around.

thanks for putting it online.

Robert

Stan

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 04:59:15 AM »
Steven, you have an interesting site, I will be following it avidly.  You also have the best original Lister manual that I have ever seen (and I have seen 3 different versions). 

NOTE TO EVERYONE....you've got to see this manual, exploded diagrams of every and I mean every system on the 6/1, 8/1 and 12/2!  Fabulous!  Thank you Steven.
Stan

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 06:00:08 AM »
Oh oh he used rubber motor mounts. Please let us know how they work out.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Guy_Incognito

• Just a guy, incognito.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 08:06:12 AM »
That's a nice frame that the genset came on - the belts and most of the rotating bits are reasonably well guarded.
Well, they were well guarded when it originally arrived - I noticed in the later pics that the belt guard was removed. :D

haganes

• captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 05:30:53 AM »
Oh oh he used rubber motor mounts. Please let us know how they work out.

i have read the threads on resilient mounts.  all high speed engines on ships use resilent mounts to minimize vibration through the hull.  anything under 100 rpm is low speed, medium speed 100 -500, and above 500rpm  is a high speed diesel.  those mounts supplied by GTC literally completely eliminate vibration.  you can stand next to the engine and not feel a thing.

i do, however, get vibration transmitted from the exhaust (i have a flexible vibration damper at the exhaust flange and a dampened hanger).  in addition, there is some vibration migrating through the dampened hold down system i fabricated.

captain steven
Mercedes D231 (100 hp)
Lister TS2
Lister TR1
GTC 10/1 Listeroid

haganes

• captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 05:35:11 AM »
That's a nice frame that the genset came on - the belts and most of the rotating bits are reasonably well guarded.
Well, they were well guarded when it originally arrived - I noticed in the later pics that the belt guard was removed. :D

you are right.  i had to remove the belt guard to get the genset frame as close to the hull as i could.  there was not enough clearance to get the guard off so i had to eliminate it.

captain steven
Mercedes D231 (100 hp)
Lister TS2
Lister TR1
GTC 10/1 Listeroid

oldnslow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 04:37:16 PM »
Great website, not many who would go through the trouble to post this valuable information for us. During teardown for the head gasket, I was suprised to hear you did not find any sand, this may indicate the Indian manufacturers might be hearing the complaints. Did your engine come with plain bearings or TRB's?
The manuals are helpful, thanks. Funny how the Lister manual mentions both foundation mounting and portable models but the GTC manual only mentions foundation mounts. Fuel for debate I guess.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 05:04:57 PM by oldnslow »
Mistakes are the cost of tuition.

haganes

• captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 03:22:58 AM »
Did your engine come with plain bearings or TRB's?

the engine came with TRB's.

captain steven
Mercedes D231 (100 hp)
Lister TS2
Lister TR1
GTC 10/1 Listeroid