Puppeteer

Author Topic: Thermostats for Lister 6/1 12/2 etc  (Read 18774 times)

listerdiesel

Thermostats for Lister 6/1 12/2 etc
« on: December 16, 2006, 08:14:20 AM »
Stan contacted me by email regarding the Lister thermostats that were listed in the early parts books, and I thought the information might be of use to others so have posted it to the forum.

Two thermostats are listed, both for Tank-Cooled engines ONLY:

Thermostat complete assembly 8-2-181 for 1-1/4" Radiator Hose

Thermostat complete assembly 9-2-181 for 1-5/8" Radiator Hose

Thermostat element only 8-2-185

I cannot find any illustrations of the parts in the books, and this seems only to be listed in the later 1967 Book 103, there is no mentioned in the 1951 issue.

Thus there is no separate housing to bolt on, these were fitted in the hose line to the tank.

A water pump is also listed for tropical spec engines.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Peter

Stan

Re: Thermostats for Lister 6/1 12/2 etc
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 09:52:33 PM »
Thanks Peter, that clears up a lot because there isn't enough metal on the bolt on housing to machine a depression for a thermostat.  I can't help but wonder however, how I will be able to keep up the operating temperature on my radiator cooled 6/1 as the belt driven radiator fan keeps on sucking air through the radiator at full rated speed and at minus 30 deg C, it's going to do a bang-up job of cooling that fluid.  I do want to keep Penelope absolutely stock so if they didn't put thermostats on the machine at the Dursley plant, then I won't either.
Stan

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 10:27:30 PM »
Hi Some of the original lister pictures I have looked at showed a gate valve in the bottom water line to the rad.
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

Stan

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 12:34:53 AM »
I'd love to see some pics of that!  The manual describes closing the "gate valve" to restrict the flow and allow the water to heat up to an acceptable temp.  You'd need a 1.5" gate valve though and that would have a pretty big housing just for the valve.
Stan

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 01:45:44 AM »
  How about an electric fan to blow cooling air through the rad. A thermostat will allow setting any desired temp. A low loads the fan may never be requred to operate. This will save a whack of shaft HP and fuel.

Stan

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 02:48:47 AM »
Nope..gotta keep her stock.
Stan

listerdiesel

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 04:58:15 PM »
  How about an electric fan to blow cooling air through the rad. A thermostat will allow setting any desired temp. A low loads the fan may never be requred to operate. This will save a whack of shaft HP and fuel.

Well, you haven't got a lot of HP to start with, so any saving is useful, and the fan runs whatever, so not good on a cold day as Stan already mentioned.

One way round the problem is to keep the original fan and drive, but make/buy a thermostatic coupling that waits until the air inside the rad shround is warm and then it engages the fan drive. Lots of these on cars etc., or you could use a small aircon compressor clutch and sense the temp electronically.

I haven't found any info on the gate valve yet, but will keep looking for some pictures. I think this may turn up in Book26 or Book28 which are for the early petrol Listers.

Peter

Stan

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 11:10:59 PM »
Eric suggested the 6/1 has large openings for water flow in the housing and head and that it might be possible to put a thermostat in there with a couple of thick gaskets cut to allow the thermostat to fit inside hidden, as it were.

Has anyone tried this?
Stan

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 11:45:11 PM »

Stan

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 12:11:51 AM »
Tnx that looks like what i want to do....Now to go and find a thermostat that's bigger than 1.5" in diameter and opens at 190 deg.
Stan

Stan

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 03:29:34 AM »
Here's the setup I'm thinking of for my 6/1.
Here's the thermostat on top of the first gasket.

Here's the thermostat with the second gasket on top of it.

Here's the thermostat, meant for a 1974 dodge 440 (the last engine I rebuilt).

That's a nice thin thermostat that can be cut down if you want.
Stan

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 03:52:03 AM »
 Looks like a nice fit.     good luck                wrightkiller

listerdiesel

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 08:40:52 AM »
Here's the setup I'm thinking of for my 6/1.
Here's the thermostat on top of the first gasket.

That's a nice thin thermostat that can be cut down if you want.
Stan

While you have the head off, why not whip it down to your local friendly engineering company and get them to spot machine the recess for the thermostat?  You'd need a smaller flange, but that would be really professional!

Also, FWIW, a lot of thermostats that we see in the UK have a 'U' channel ring around the outside of the flange and no gasket, that makes it even neater. Vauxhall/Opel use this system on their engines, probably others as well. You need a slightly deeper inset to take the rubber, but it also means that you don't have to fit any gasket.

Just a thought.

Peter

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 12:08:44 PM »
The Slant #13479 has a flange dia of 2.5"...NAPA lists a #253 that has a flange dia of 1.805"...it is the same temperature range and is also found on a lot of Dodge vehicles...

The #253 reference is not an original thought on my part it's per George B's CD.

Joe
Nothing is easy...if it were...anybody could do it.

2005 Power Solutions  6/1-ST5

Stan

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 04:12:22 PM »
Tnx Peter, I don't have a lot of faith in our local machinists, they don't seem to want to work on anything older than a few years (maybe 10).  One of them told me that they are afraid of the "old" cast and don't want to screw anyone's antique stuff up.  Personally I think they just don't want to take on any job worth less than a couple of thousand dollars myself.

As to using a smaller thermostat I sort of wanted the largest one I could find because I don't want the housing to be bolted to a small footprint in the middle.  I'm afraid of putting stress on the flange if it's bent when tightening it.
Stan

Great suggestions guys...keep them coming!