Author Topic: lovson 6/1 startup  (Read 9443 times)

wrightkiller

• View Profile

dkwflight

• View Profile
Re: lovson 6/1 startup
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 12:19:28 AM »
Hi I think the squeal sound was dry seals?

Also a good example of why not to start one not tied down properly. If the first ignition was any harder it would have layed over and ran around the shop on the flywheels. ::)
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 12:36:05 AM »
FWIW, one thing I have never seen with these engines is any way to get oil up past the TRBs to lube the seal.  The seal sits at the end of a tapered chamber 3" behind the TRBs and never gets oil.  Before first startup it would be a good idea to take a cotton swab (Q-Tip or equivalent) dipped in oil and smear oil between the shaft and seal from the outside. 

It probably don't make no nevermind because the seal will wear to the point where it is just touching the shaft and then stop there.

I agree that the squeal was probably the oil seals.  [edit:  Definitely the seals.  Despite what you may have heard at the zoo, seals don't always bark.  Some kinds of seals squeal.]

Quinn
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 12:50:28 AM by Quinnf »
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 01:16:42 AM »
  Runs pretty smooth on that crate bottem. Maybe I shouldn't have burnt mine. Might be the hot set up.          Bill
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw

DaveW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 04:31:18 AM »
   Narrow base, top heavy engine, and half his body in the line of fire at startup if it goes over.  Made me flinch to watch it.

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 09:53:53 AM »
Are we watching a new, unexamined just add oil and fuel out of the crate, Indian Listeroid engine destroy itself internally here?   :o
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Doug

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 05:41:56 PM »
Some people put a lot of faith in Lovson....

Peter has a few Lovsons, his engine of choice he says...

http://turneffecoconut.com/making.html

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 10:08:17 PM »
Oh . . . maybe THAT was what that squeal was.   :'(

Quinn
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

Stan

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 12:39:46 AM »
Now I don't feel bad building a wood base using 6"x6" beams with cross pieces of the same size for Penelope ;D
Stan

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 09:07:47 AM »
Now I don't feel bad building a wood base using 6"x6" beams with cross pieces of the same size for Penelope ;D
Stan

Stan,

In regards to your beams.  What kind of wood are they? Reason I ask is I recently threw together a temporary test base for my new JD175A diesel and a big 2 kW Koehler 4 pole alternator with built in starter motor feature. This package sits on a concrete floor on heavy duty sized, medium duty rubber wheel 1 inch by 4 inch wheeled straight and swivel casters. The straight casters are on the engine end.  BTW, it stays put on the floor (no desire to explore the room)  without wheel locks and transfers no vibration to the floor.   My maple beams are mill cuttings out of the center area of a big tree and were cheap.  Hard as nails that maple, very heavy (dense) and super strong!  My wood rails are about 7 thick by 8- 9 inches wide.  I have four, 3/8 inch lag bolts holding the engine into these beams with 2 inches of thread in the wood.  My engine is slowliy loosening these bolts.  They are not unscrewing, the wood is being compacted on the compression (top side of the threads).

Because of this I advise, whatever wood you have used. put a bolt or all-thread rod completely through the wood and use large flat washers, locks and nuts on the opposite side of the engine.

I should add that after about 20 run hours so far and a few tightenings my loosening situation seems to have almost stabilized, but I don`t think it will completely, hence my strong recommendation here.

-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

Stan

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006, 11:32:57 PM »
I have a friend going to cut me some Larch, which is quite hard.  And yes, I plan to cut some 1/4" plate about 2" square with a hole in the center for the bolt and then weld the bolt head to these square pieces of plate.  I'll then mortise the 2" square holes in the bottom of the wood beam arrangement and drill a couple of small holes in the plate to allow it to be screwed in place (just to hold it when I turn the whole danged thing over).  The bolts will not only hod the engine in place but also serve to hold the timber "frame" together also.
Stan
btw...this doesn't preclude bolting the whole wooden frame to the appropriately sized (I wonder what size that should be  ;) ) concrete block.

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 12:24:31 PM »
I have a friend going to cut me some Larch, which is quite hard.  And yes, I plan to cut some 1/4" plate about 2" square with a hole in the center for the bolt and then weld the bolt head to these square pieces of plate.  I'll then mortise the 2" square holes in the bottom of the wood beam arrangement and drill a couple of small holes in the plate to allow it to be screwed in place (just to hold it when I turn the whole danged thing over).  The bolts will not only hod the engine in place but also serve to hold the timber "frame" together also.
Stan
btw...this doesn't preclude bolting the whole wooden frame to the appropriately sized (I wonder what size that should be  ;) ) concrete block.

Stan.

That sounds like it shud work very well.  I like the 2x2 plates welded to the bolts idea vey much.  All-thread rod would work here fine as well and in 5/8 inch ciameter, strength will not be an issue.
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

Stan

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 12:56:27 AM »
And be a lot cheaper than bolts.  From another thread I have learned you don't want the very hard bolts as they don't "give" enough to allow the bottom end to stay straight.  I don't think this will be a factor when bolting it to wood anyway.  Spent an hour trying to clean out the sump today, used a couple of dozen rags, lots of varsol, got black from head to foot and ended up with it still "not clean".  This is going to take the most time I've spent on anything yet!!!
Stan

CD in BC

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 04:53:28 PM »
   Narrow base, top heavy engine, and half his body in the line of fire at startup if it goes over.  Made me flinch to watch it.

Me too.  Cranks have been known to fight back as well.

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2006, 04:41:20 AM »
That's almost as scary as watching tire guys sealing tubeless earthmoving tires with starting fluid and a match!!   :o

That's NOT the way to start a new engine!!!
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.