Author Topic: Just Lucky?  (Read 3760 times)

Doug

Just Lucky?
« on: December 13, 2006, 12:26:29 AM »
Please go to this safety website, watch the clips and explore the site.

http://www.prevent-it.ca

" The Funeral " could have been me....
I came that close for all those reason and hits close to home.

Doug

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
Re: Just Lucky?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 02:39:43 PM »
Twenty minutes of downloading to find out that I`ve seen that funeral clip running on local TV.  It is the burnt electrical worker who sits up in the coffin at his funeral to say a few words about the safety standards at his workplace.

Here is a safety tip.  If you have a dial up internet connection don`t try to study all on this site.  You could die waiting for the downloads.

The message is good though.  We all need to be careful around potentially dangerous machinery.  I volunteeringly decided to stop working alone in my high voltage laboratory after a vehicular accident left me forever now taking powerful prescription painkillerz. Some of the high voltage equipment I was working with had the potential to explosively remove limbs if accidental contact was made.  I am probably alive today as a result of this decision towards safety.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 01:04:56 AM »
rcavictim--

Good on ya!!

I have a rule here at Magic Hot Springs....if there's an engine running within five miles I don't even change light bulbs!

GRAVITY and ELECTRICITY have no 'appeal' mechanism in their 'convictions'.  And I'd rather not be at my own 'execution'.

<< as a side note-   As a visiting Deputy to Death Row at Starke, Fla.  I was 'allowed' to sit in 'ol' Sparky', the prison built electric chair in use since 1935.  I did NOT sit long!>>
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Doug

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 01:33:38 AM »
I couldn't watch that, not doing what I do for a living....

If memory serves the last man excuted in Canada was in 62. The gallows are still there....

Sometimes I think we should bring it back into service, but I couldn't watch something like that....

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
You just gotta see this!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 03:44:30 AM »
Check out a dope high on pcp having climbed up on power lines grabs a 16 kV feeder.  Quite a lightshow.  Plasma Man and all that.  He actually lived but I`ll bet his nerves are all all carbonized and he must be in incredible pain.

The fellow has a good job now though as a troubleshooter for the power company.  They send him out looking for dead lines.  He prefers to work without a meter.   ;D   He also drives a Hummer... which is any vehicle he happens to sit in.  ;D  I think he passed on a job offer with the US NAVY.  They wanted him to run one of their submarines.  Sorry. :D

http://www.tb3.com/tesla/sparky.htm
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 04:52:20 AM by rcavictim »
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Doug

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 04:00:53 AM »
How on earth do you survive something that stupid?

I've watched 13.8 kv unzip the sides of 1/8 steel encloser so fast, it there then its vapor, boom its a hole....

That much said I once started to reach for a stress cone. My hand moved about an inch from my side before I realized "Hey Stupid, THATS LIVE". I was working on the bottom half that was grounded and decided I didn't like the hack job some guy did on top.

NEVER let your gaurd down a second with electricity. I have been Lucky SO lucky that I do not take chances with ANYTHING.

I used up all my luck....

Doug

Please guys take it from me don't mess around with electricity, do it right and safe the first time. Or you will learn the pain of muscules contracting in your chest as the current goes from hand to hand possibly stoping your heart. Or you may get a burn from the inside as the electrons heat your blood the path, of least resistance and cook your arms.

There is no reason to work on any live equipment....