Author Topic: The Brand Roundup  (Read 215437 times)

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
Re: The Brand Roundup
« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2008, 04:49:05 PM »
Does anyone know who makes the "Omega" engines sold by Kwic industries? i want to order some spares & it would be nice to get the right parts on the first try!  thanks, scott r.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2008, 05:25:10 PM »
I can;t say but if you ask Pat from Altopro he may be able to help.
I think he has bought an engine or two from them ( from whom ever made Omega ) or he may be able to tell you where to get parts or he may even have some. Yous need to ask I guess....
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 06, 2008, 06:30:19 PM »
thanks doug, i will. scottr.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #123 on: January 06, 2008, 10:54:33 PM »
I just emailed Pat on your behalf hopefuly he will respond to you here soon

Doug

altopro

• View Profile
    • altopro.ca
« Reply #124 on: January 07, 2008, 02:00:21 AM »
For what engine do you need parts?

PAT
Pat Ricard
altopro.ca
Engines and tools!
I do ship to USA

outlaw06

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 19, 2008, 03:01:31 PM »
I am new to the forum, all seems very intersting.   I have a farm and  need backup power for my wells and geothermal system.  A few questions...   Could I hook the cooling system on a lister to my in floor heat and regulate the temp with some sort of control?

I would like to make electricity and heat the house concurrently, the heat mass  in the floor will hold the heat while I don't need the electricity, (at night or during mid-day)  My wells are 1 and -1 1/2 horse and 220.  I have a  6kw portable gen set with a B&S  engine, i would like to convert to a lister using the 6HP motor,  to run my house.  I also have a 15 KW and a 30 KW PTO gen set.  I beleive a 25 HP  lister engine would run those, as my 30 HP  New Holland tractor  does. 

Are these things  possible, and more importantly, do any of you have experience doing them?  Running a PTO generator off a tractor here in Iowa can get  mighty expensive. So aI am looking at a lister!   

For the final part of the question, is there any  manufacturer that you all have had  particularly good or poor luck with.  I have been in contact with Vijjay, they manufacture Ashwengha....   Can I rely on them for shipping and sending an engine or should I go through an importer?   I am willing to pay a little more to get rid of the hassles, but am not oppposed to going direct if the reliability is generally good.

Last  but not least, would you all recommend multiple listers, say 6 hp, running smaller gen sets wired for separate circuits or a larger gen set. 

Thanks for your help.  I continue to enjoy reading the forum.

Stan

« Reply #126 on: February 19, 2008, 03:13:28 PM »
Welcome "out..."

Go small, cut back on your needs.  Size matters in some things  ;D  but for generators, smaller and simpler is better.
Stan
btw...got a first name?

dpollo

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 19, 2008, 03:51:13 PM »
outlaw:    You have evidently run several different units for back up power. Your 6 kw Briggs may be a good place to start figuring. What you have to decide is how much power you are likely to need at any given time. The 6kw unit will run your wells and some lighting but have you test run it to see if it will handle motor starts where the inrush current for starting can be many times the running current.

What I have done is apply the backup power to essential circuits .... like the workshop, furnace, well pump, freezers and some lighting. I do not try to heat water electrically, but do run an in floor heating setup  (3kw) on an as-needed basis.

I can do this easily with a gasoline powered "NorthStar" unit  and my Lister  (15 hp)  with a 5 kw Kato handles these loads and more without protest. The only time it balked was  while running a 5kw load and would not then start an air compressor. Shed some load and it handled it well.  PTO systems are great for portability and emergencies but think of the waste heat that tractor engine is shedding.  Do some load testing with what you have and then you will be able to make a good choice .

matt

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2008, 04:17:06 AM »
Hi Outlaw and Welcome!!

Check out this website.....

http://www.powercubes.com/listers.html

This guy has done a huge amount with his lister for home heating and power generation with a nice ST Generator head. 
And he does it all whilst using Wast Vege Oil for the Lister's fuel!!!

A real "pioneer" of sorts.

As regards the engine brand...if you live in the US and enjoy DIY, then I would reccomend buying a kit engine from George and Joel.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110225297478&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=110214166891&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=algo%3DDR%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu%3DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4

They supply the JKson 6/1 in semi knock down form. The advantages here is that the JKson crankcase etc. is as near identical to the original Listers as you might get from India. Also, because they are only partly assembled, they have not been test run - so any sand remaining inside has not had a chance to cause headaches. I have heared they give great support too.

In case you didn't know, George is one of the main discoverers of the Indian Listeroids we are just so crazy about here. He runs the famous utterpower.com website.

Buy the CD off the utterpower website, study it, and then think about purchasing.

I have no commercial arrangement with them, other than buying the CD ROM and being very satisfied with the information therein.

Happy investigating!!!

regards,
Matt

(modified to include JKson comment)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 11:03:39 AM by matt »

centralmainediesel

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 04, 2008, 08:11:15 PM »
We, at Central Maine Diesel, just imported three separate engines from Topland Enterprizes of India. The salesman is very agressive and hardworking. We are impressed with the quality of the engines, though have not tried each out as yet. We have a single, double and an awesome looking triple!! We have set up the single and it runs smoothly(for a Lister!!), and has a great sound, sort of like a Harley at idle. In touch with the salesman, he has indicated they are willing to make any changes to any of their models to suit our liking. So far...we like everything, including the support. We will offer these on our website www.generatorsales.com in the future and only after significant testing. We have been happy with the quality of the Anand engines and Atul has been especially supportive. Does anyone have any response, positive or otherwise with regards to dealings with Topland and/or have you one of their engines in use? Is this something others may be interested in?....Thanks, Phil Pepin

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 06, 2008, 04:01:15 PM »
You say that you have a single and a double, what HP are they?  Will you continue to carry the Anand engines or will you switch completely over to Topland if your testing goes well?

Thanks

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #131 on: June 08, 2008, 07:52:47 PM »
Troble with Topland is they don't make a lot of their engines so its hard for them to realty have consistant QC

centralmainediesel

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 11, 2008, 05:01:22 PM »
At Central Maine Diesel, we have had good luck and great backing from Anand with regards to their engines. The quality is there and they obviously take great pride in what they do. I could not ask for more support from a vendor. Atul has been the best and answered my many questions and has worked with several of our customers on setup. We brought in the 16hp single and the 30hp double (as well as an awesome looking/sounding triple!) from Topland to compare quality issues, see what type of support we would get for our customers and wanted to make sure that we were able to provide engines on a consistant basis should something happen to change down the road with our current supplier. We are in this for the long haul and are committed to providing parts, engines and support to anyone who buys from us.

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 12, 2008, 01:31:16 AM »
I am new to the forum, all seems very intersting.   I have a farm and  need backup power for my wells and geothermal system.  A few questions...   Could I hook the cooling system on a lister to my in floor heat and regulate the temp with some sort of control?

Yes, you can.  I have a 6/1 with a brazed flat plate heat exchanger on the cooling system.  This cuts my antifreeze needs down drastically as I only have about 2 gallons of coolant in the primary side of the system, including what is in the expansion tank.  The free flowing brazed plate heatex still allows this very small(for a lister) coolant volume in the primary side to thermosiphon.  I use a small taco pump to circulate water thru the secondary side of the heatex.  On the output of the secondary side of the heatexchanger, I have a small thermostat from a mercury mariner outboard engine.  This is a 120F thermostat which maintains the output on the secondary side near that 120F.  You are only going to get about 17,000 BTU/HR out of a 6/1 at full load(around 3KW of electric power). 

I would like to make electricity and heat the house concurrently, the heat mass  in the floor will hold the heat while I don't need the electricity, (at night or during mid-day)  My wells are 1 and -1 1/2 horse and 220.  I have a  6kw portable gen set with a B&S  engine

Will your 6HP B&S run those wells?  That sounds lke a pretty large pump for a 3-4KW generator. EDIT:  Oops, I read 6HP instead of 6KW, thanks Oliver90.  A 6KW/12HP set would probably be large enough.    The biggest trick would be getting from the rated engine RPM to PTO RPM to run one of your PTO sets.  The 6/1-12/2 engines  runs at 650 RPM, the 8/1-16/2's run at 800+  and the 10/1 and 20/2 engines run at around 1000 RPM to get their rated HP if I recall correctly?.  Reducing their RPM reduces their HP output, so a 12/2 reduced to 540 RPM would probably be a little over 10HP.  you will probably need some form of gearbox to get a 540 RPM output from their rated power output RPM. Since the PTO sets already have a gearbox, that is starting to get complicated.  It would probably be cheaper to just add another 1800 RPM gen head and make a standalone set with a 12/2(6KW) or 20/2(10KW).  You could offset some of this cost by selling your 30KW PTO generator as you don't have enought tractor HP to make use of it's full potential.  As for HP, the rule of thumb for sustainable electrical power generation is 2HP per KW, so a 25HP lister should be able to sustain a 12.5KW electrical load, just as your 30Hp tractor can sustain a 15KW electrical load.   

I went the "kit" engine route from George and Joel and am very happy with the result.  I also reccomend Georges CD as it has a lot of information in one easy place.

Good Luck

Ron  
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 11:30:30 PM by ronmar »
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

Petersbpus

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 23, 2008, 07:25:25 PM »
My Metro is really a Field Marshal, at least the case and crank shaft are.
Now that I removed all the outside paint and strange putty under it, you can plainly see where they ground off the embossed Field Marshal and left the 6HP.
Then covered it in putty that smelled like rancid grease and talc mix. ick.
The crank shaft has Field Marshal cast right in the side.
I knew Metro was only a reseller of many different products. Who knows who put the parts together.
At least it gives me some ideas of "What to call the Beast" when it's up and running?? Metro didn't invoke any exotic names.
What do you all think of Field Marshal brand??
Listeroid 6/1 in progress
Alllis Chalmers 60KW 3 ph
Changfaoid 12KW w/  auto shutdowns, modern AVR and panel
2nd Changfaoid 12KW Marine conversion w/ full auto shutdown and remote panel
Changfaoid 7.7 hp driving 5kw alternater /inverter,
other diesel gensets bought fixed and sold